• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gas tank insulation

Offgar612

As I was working on my 2012 C14, I started to notice little chunks of orange or pink insulation stuck in certain parts of the bike. After further inspection, I found where it was coming from. Under the gas tank and above the engine. It appears that the silver pad has a tear in it and the insulation is falling out.
Questions:
1. Should I try to fix it with duct tape?
2. Is it necessary at all?
3. Is this a Kawasaki part?
4. How the heck would I install such a thing?

I currently have my C14 all torn apart to fix and add accessories. So while the hood is open…?
Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

1. Do not use duct tape as a substitute for insulation material 2" above your hot engine. Duct tape is great stuff but it will not work in this application and fail a short time after it's applied.
2. Yes. Almost all modern day bikes have some layer of insulation under the tank to reduce the amount of heat exposure from the engine.
3. Three separate pieces Kawi p/n# 31956A-B-C.
4. I would something to remove the adhesive of the old stuff, WD-40 works good. Test a small amount of whatever you use in a small spot to make sure it doesn't harm the paint under there. Get the surface nice and clean and dry then apply the new insulation from Kawasaki.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 12.08.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 12.08.50 AM.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 113
Thanks for the information TireGuy! Does the insulation parts from Kawasaki have adhesive on them or do I have to buy something?
Also, I’m about to take the radiator off so I can get at the Cam Position Sensor and replace that O-Ring. How much more work is involved to remove the fuel tank and swap out these insulation pads?

Thanks for the information TireGuy! Does the insulation parts from Kawasaki have adhesive on them or do I have to buy something?
Also, I’m about to take the radiator off so I can get at the Cam Position Sensor and replace that O-Ring. How much more work is involved to remove the fuel tank and swap out these insulation pads?
Tank comes right off, 4 bolts, harnesses, hose.

Is a big tank, get the fuel LOW.

OK. I lifted up the gas tank and took a look under it. I see the 3 insulation pads from Kawasaki and they appear to be in fine shape.
I found the torn up insulation actually stuffed into the spaces of the engine?!? Picture attached.
Is this wrong? Should I pull it out of there?

Attachments

• 34A105D2-44A6-4F6D-A8B1-473FCECAB659.jpeg
    34A105D2-44A6-4F6D-A8B1-473FCECAB659.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 130
lol...guests! Yes, pull all that insulation away from the throttle bodies, it's not supposed to be there. Make sure the guests didn't chew into the wiring. The insulation on the wiring on our bikes, and cars too, has a soy product in it that makes it a little more appetizing to mice. One member on here had to have his main wiring harness completely replaced due to the damage done by mice.
Like Bud said, the tank is not hard to take off the bike, just try to run it down to near empty before you do and have a well padded spot to put it down on when you remove it. There are two small (1/4") grey rubber lines that connect to the tank, you will see them right under front lip of the seat when you remove it. I marked the lines just to make sure I put em back on to the same tube on the tank they came off. Cheers

Thank you both for your replies. So the insulation that’s pictured was electrical wire insulation that mice chewed up? Or did these mice drag the stuff in themselves to make a comfy nest? Now I’m really worried.
I’ll get that insulation and paper pulled out tomorrow and run a video scope around in there to check for damage.

What caught my eye was the letters on the paper. Those critters think the top of the engine is a holiday inn express. Breakfast included. They don't always trash the place before they leave like Keith Moon, so you may be lucky and find no damage. I guess yours likes to read in bed.🤣

Attachments

• 20180220_100536.jpg
    20180220_100536.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 117
So the insulation that’s pictured was electrical wire insulation that mice chewed up? Or did these mice drag the stuff in themselves to make a comfy nest?
They probably got the pink stuff from your attic or a neighbors, no telling where they got the reading material. It now makes sense at least, I've had my tank off before and I certainly couldn't think of any place that would have had pink insulation on the bike when I read your original post.
Now you can see the reason/justification for extensive farkling, it leads to fewer infestation problems down the road and makes you more knowledgeable about your bike. (y)

Well, I got all the yellow, pink and white insulation chunks out. The paper appears to be the Minnesota Rodent Reader. I didn’t find any mouse turds or cheese wrappers in there. Also haven’t noticed any wire damage. Whew!!

One suggestion made by MOB is to make a very spicy liquid to spray on the wiring so they don't like chewing on the wiring.