• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

General Zumo GPS info that was news to me - applies to C10 application as well

gbyoung2

Wasn't sure just where to stick this, but it can be moved if necessary.

Found out something pretty interesting the other day when chatting with the owner of Palmdr, one of the companies that repairs Garmin stuff, including Garmin’s GPS lines.

My ZUMO 550 is well over 10 years old, bought it from a local back when the earth was still hot. Over my time of ownership, it has pretty much worked fine. Has only locked up once (R&R the main battery), of which it croaked a few years back (and replaced), replaced the screen/digitizer twice due to water getting in during some pretty heavy down pours when I was out on the road. Last year the keypads started coming apart due to UV/ozone exposure, so ordered a set from a fella over in The Netherlands. And finally, since the internal battery seemed to have died a few years ago, I got a replacement from Palmdr. This thing is a tiny little bit where the old one has to be unsoldered, and the new one soldered back in place.

Since the unit basically needs to be stripped for the keypad and battery replacement, it got put off until earlier this year (March) before the real riding season. I basically shucked off the old keypads with my thumb nail, doing a final cleanup with an ExActo blade and some denatured alcohol. The new pads were put in place, and secured, with some Sil-Net silicone seam sealer.

*** The battery was fun since the terminal spacing is minimal and it would be very easy to short the two “leads” together during the process. To avoid any drama and risk shorting out the new battery, I cut a 1/4” to 3/8” wide strip from a Post-It note in the sticky area, and stuck it over the two battery contact pads on the GPS’ PCB. This, of course, was after the bad battery was removed. I used a magic marker to mark over the 2 areas of the pads to show their exact location. After that, I put a small dab of silicone sealer on the back of the new battery and put it in place, carefully aligning the battery’s two contact fingers over the marks I’d made on the Post-It note strip. ***

*** After finding out that the battery was rechargeable, all of this caution probably wasn’t necessary. Still, nice to know that I didn’t take the life out of the thing with an unintentional short…. even if only momentary. ***

After a couple of days to insure the sealer had cured, I tried to wiggle the battery to make sure it was stuck in place and wouldn’t move. Satisfied all was good, I pulled the Note’s strip out from under the contacts and carefully soldered each in place with a small, pencil tipped iron.

Both of those two jobs done, the unit was reassembled. Everything seemed fine in River City until a couple of weeks ago when we used the unit in my wife’s car for a trip up into MD. When I first turned it on the unit’s clock was wrong until initial sat comm, when it corrected itself. This was odd because it seemed to keep perfect time when just sitting on my bench shortly after swapping out the battery. I was afraid the battery they sent me was an older unit and was no longer any good.

Come to find out, that internal battery is a rechargeable Li unit, and it only charges when the GPS is turned on. The fella told me it should hold a charge for about a month after a good charge.

We shall see. The unit has been on the charger (and turned on) since yesterday, so we’ll see how it does.

Hay thanks for the info. Do you have a web site or link to this "Palmdr".
Have a few guys in the GLDS club that have defunk Garmin GPS.

RWulf said:
Hay thanks for the info. Do you have a web site or link to this "Palmdr".
Have a few guys in the GLDS club that have defunk Garmin GPS.

Yup, their site is: http://www.palmdr.com/

Their formal company name is Short Tronics, and the fella I was chatting with was Chris Short, owner. Very personable fella.

Good luck with it.

Guy

I still use the Zumo 550 I won at the COG Natl.

I also went to Short to have the rubber key covers replaced along with the internal battery. Highly recommend him.

Strawboss said:
So, is $220 a decent price for a hardly used, updated, complete ZUMO 550?

Being honest, I have no idea. Can't remember how much I paid for the one I got a long time ago; checkbook is in the house. Will need to find the correct register.

Mine did come with lifetime free map upgrades, which I've never used based on some of the horror stories I've heard when folks tried to do that. There's only been a few times when mine went into a "void" for a spell on a completely new road. Seemed to remember it, because an unmarked road appeared the next time I used it.

OK, thanks Larry, totally new to this GPS gizmo, thinking of getting an older one to see if it's me or not.

Jeff Kerkow said:
The probable reason your clock is wrong is the GPS satellites all had a reboot in April. You can read more about if you click the link but it effects many older GPS units including my Zumo 660.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2019-04-05/gps-rollover-global-positioning-system-receivers-satellites/10966218

In my case the clock originally lost track because the internal battery was dead and wouldn't take/hold a charge. It was the original battery and probably 10+ years old.

The clock lost track again with the new battery because I didn't keep it on charge long enough to allow it to build back up. I didn't know that the unit had to be ON when hooked to the charger, or plugged into its cradle so the internal charging could take place. Do now, and it is holding fast since leaving it in the charge mode for several days.

Strawboss said:
OK, thanks Larry, totally new to this GPS gizmo, thinking of getting an older one to see if it's me or not.

I resisted for a long time until one of my daughters gave me a relatively inexpensive one as a gift. It was a plain Jane unit that you couldn't add or change the maps, but it seemed to work okay. It was a blessing when I was hot and heavy into the local ADV tag games here.

Then it died from over exposure to rain.

That's when a local ADV inmate had the Zumo 550 for sale. He'd had it a couple of years, but came as a complete package with lifetime map updates, Sirius Radio antenna, car and bike cradles, charger, traffic alerts, etc. Still haven't found what I paid for it, but I'm sure it was more than $300 way back then. Still, it was a good deal for me + I made a good friend that I see from time to time. Also arranged for Mike Aldea to buy his FJ from him.

The 550 has died a couple of times on me, again from over exposure to rain - both times over in WV. I found some relatively inexpensive screen/digitizers ($32 w/shipping) and bought one + a spare. Not too difficult a task to replace them. When the second one died a few years later when I got caught in a monsoon, I used the spare and ordered a couple more for basically the same price.

The next venture was replacing the keypads and internal battery as mentioned above. So far so good, and it is working fine.

Not sure why I typed up all that jibber-jabber..... except to say, I always still carry up-to-date paper maps of the areas I plan on traveling - JIC. Also carry the correct sized Torx driver so you can R&R the main battery should the unit get funky and go into a "hard freeze" like mine did at a rally up in PA. It's the only way to clear it.

Good luck.

Just found that I purchased my 550 in June of 2011, and the fella I got it from had, had it for ~2 years prior to that. They came out in 2007 or 2008. I paid $400 for it, but as mentioned, it came fully loaded.

I guess that was a lotta bux, but even with the maintenance items I've needed to address due to constant use in all sorts of weather, I'm still a happy camper.

Like Larry said, anything under $300 is a good deal.