• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Get ready for change...

Change is always happening like it or not, but you don't have to buy new...

I just sold a ZERO motorcycle the only electric motorcycle assembled in America

Believe me it was a hoot but until the next generation of batteries comes out they will not catch on.

Same with cars... but the time is coming, in the next 5 years you will see major changes in batteries.

A lot lighter with twice the range of todays best.

The Jetsons here we come

Last edited:
What's going to be deliciously ironic is when all the green-power generation facilities and related support infrastructure begin to affect the climate (i.e., precipitation patterns) due to source-sink heat flux variances. And do so in greater amplitude than carbon emissions do at present.

By that time, it'll be too late to dig back out of the hole.

Whatever happens we will be long gone...

technology is always evolving, faster and faster, scary.

With AI there will be less and less need for Humans

I accept death, not worried at all, I would not even want to look into a crystal ball of the future If one was available

Because I don't believe It will be good.

I'm back In NY for a wedding, can't believe how much people have changed.

Change is constant and is becoming a Tornado not a Breeze ...

Whatever happens we will be long gone...

technology is always evolving, faster and faster, scary.

With AI there will be less and less need for Humans

I accept death, not worried at all, I would not even want to look into a crystal ball of the future If one was available

Because I don't believe It will be good.

I'm back In NY for a wedding, can't believe how much people have changed.

Change is constant and is becoming a Tornado not a Breeze ...
Describe the change in people you're noticing in NY.

I grew up in N Tonawanda NY, it was a white blue-collar town with factories everywhere, we never locked our doors, the least amount of crime in the whole state, well the factories are all closed, and the people's race is quickly changing, I went to the local Walmart yesterday was shocked, don't
want to get explicit in a public forum but in 40 years much of the population has changed, we had a summer home in Canada (initially because of Prohibition, Gramps owned a Bar) so I'm a country boy at heart not a fan of big cities and everything that comes with them.

They wear sandals more often now when drinking their lattes?:)
LOL Yeah, I've never wore sandal's and drink my coffee black, how did you KNOW?

I'm from the other side of the state think Niagara Falls, Buffalo.

Last edited:
What I'm getting out of these types of reports is that social and technological progress has brought us to a point where these giant corporations are unable to deliver a sufficient amount of physical product to meet demand along with an inability to create future products that can be offered at affordable prices unless the diversity of designs is severely limited. If anything, the efficiency of access to tools, communication and accumulated knowledge should drive things toward more choices rather than fewer.

Read the article. It's all about meeting the new emissions regulations in Japan and other countries. The manufactures are throwing in the towel on many models. I suspect this is the end of the Concours as we know it.

Read the article. It's all about meeting the new emissions regulations in Japan and other countries. The manufactures are throwing in the towel on many models. I suspect this is the end of the Concours as we know it.
I recently watched a great TED talk with a gentleman showing facts about electric cars having a much greater effect on the environment than internal combustion engines. His argument starts with manufacturing purely focused on tons of CO2 emitted. E cars are more than double that if the ICE. One needs to drive a vehicle 400k miles for the E car and ICE to equal. The average right now is 150k for ICE and likely will be less with the E car due to cost and trouble replacing batteries, drive motors, and computer controllers. The hybrid has the least overall effect on the environment clearly and can get even better with development. Funny that I find no real hybrid bikes out there; only novelties and concept units. Would be interesting to see a real one developed. Unfortunately, would likely be extremely heavy and cost more than a couple V4 Panigales.

I did read the article. Not only are they unable to produce the current lineup (something easily seen at the dealers), they can't figure out how to meet the new emissions regulations without limiting their investments into a few compliant powertrains (from the article).

One day, manufactures and the public will realize what a shell game electric vehicles turned out to be. Trouble is, it will be too late by then.
I'm a bit more pessimistic. As with most things, the blame will also be a shell game.

One day, manufactures and the public will realize what a shell game electric vehicles turned out to be. Trouble is, it will be too late by then.
There are a couple things that have always bugged me. The first is the lack of coal gas as a suitable substitute for gasoline. My uncles used to tell me that coal gas was used in many countries during WWII to save petrol for the war effort. The energy density was less; however, it was much cheaper and very clean burning by comparison. We have coal reserves for thousands of years, yet no development of this great resource. The energy density is much, much higher than what is available from an electric battery.

The second is natural gas powered vehicles. Not too long ago, T Boone Pickens advocated that by just converting our trucking fleet, we could radically improve our available energy supplies and stabilize prices long-term. The investment in conversion was proven to be well worth it. Since it involves interstate commerce, the Federal government would be needed to motivate folks to get fueling stations in place. It seemed like a well thought out plan, yet never seriously considered.

I think about the potential to act on either option every time I hear a fumbling geriatric in a fancy suit blame Putin for climbing energy prices.

Either option would help us deflect the ridiculous quest to “update” the offerings of vehicle producers. Make a coal gas sport tourer with a turbo to compensate the power differential. Now that would be interesting!

Cuda, I drink my coffee black as well. My FIL lives in upstate NY in the small town of Massena. He was raised there before heading off to RPI. It was a factory town with the big employer being Alcoa Aluminum. Now it's not much of anything. Alcoa is long gone. No more blue collar jobs. Seems like the big employer in town is the drug trade. The Chief of Police was even busted for selling crack and Meth. Things change every day but do they change for the better...

that whats happened to the aprilia dorsoduro 900. last model year 2020, couldn't meet euro emissions. they killed it. that's when i swooped

that whats happened to the aprilia dorsoduro 900. last model year 2020, couldn't meet euro emissions. they killed it. that's when i swooped

Cool bike! I understand how converting motorcycles to low powered scooters makes for a huge effect. With all motorcycles in the world probably contributing 0.001% to overall emissions.😵‍💫

More change...reports coming in from town that many gas stations are out of fuel. It's getting more difficult to keep motorcycles running anymore.

There are a couple things that have always bugged me. The first is the lack of coal gas as a suitable substitute for gasoline. My uncles used to tell me that coal gas was used in many countries during WWII to save petrol for the war effort. The energy density was less; however, it was much cheaper and very clean burning by comparison. We have coal reserves for thousands of years, yet no development of this great resource. The energy density is much, much higher than what is available from an electric battery.

The second is natural gas powered vehicles. Not too long ago, T Boone Pickens advocated that by just converting our trucking fleet, we could radically improve our available energy supplies and stabilize prices long-term. The investment in conversion was proven to be well worth it. Since it involves interstate commerce, the Federal government would be needed to motivate folks to get fueling stations in place. It seemed like a well thought out plan, yet never seriously considered.

I think about the potential to act on either option every time I hear a fumbling geriatric in a fancy suit blame Putin for climbing energy prices.

Either option would help us deflect the ridiculous quest to “update” the offerings of vehicle producers. Make a coal gas sport tourer with a turbo to compensate the power differential. Now that would be interesting!
don’t forget hydrogen generators. remember water for gas?

All of the decision makers who are trying to move us towards electric know all of these things. It's not about saving the earth or limiting gasses harmful to the earth or climate change, it's none of that and they know it, they know we can't sustain electricity for the millions of vehicles that they say they want us to have. They know we have reserves totaling in the thousands of years of coal, natural gas etc... Get us to the point of no return and then watch the real change they really want folks.

Nukes, first fission and ultimately fusion, can provide carbon free electricity. But don’t hear too much discussion from the talking heads on this path.

If big brother was serious about reducing carbon emissions, There would be no airlines flying less than 1000 miles. Passenger aircraft burn enormous amounts of fuel taking off and getting to altitude. Look at the number of flights per day. Cut all those short ones and let those trips be on the train. (very efficient) But will that happen? Big business would block any such movement in a heart beat.

If big brother was serious about reducing carbon emissions, There would be no airlines flying less than 1000 miles. Passenger aircraft burn enormous amounts of fuel taking off and getting to altitude. Look at the number of flights per day. Cut all those short ones and let those trips be on the train. (very efficient) But will that happen? Big business would block any such movement in a heart beat.
I work for Amtrak as a Machinist, those diesel locos burn tons as well! BUT we're getting millions of $$$ worth of new hi-speed equipment to replace the aged Acelas. They'll save minutes from DC to NY and NY to BOS lol

Cold catalytic converters cause the majority of our emissions in the first few mins of operation. That's one of the reasons shorty headers are used as they transfer heat quickly so the cats get into their optimal operating range, and that leads to improved emissions if I remember right.

Last edited:
We learned nothing when we lost one of only a handful of refineries in the South due to a fire a few years ago, spiking fuel prices and availability.

We didn't build others for redundancy and instead purposely shackled the likelihood to do so along with systematically restricting tapping into other vast reserves on our own soil.

It is true that the Ukraine invasion is responsible for some of the inflation and fuel price increase.

However, inflation and fuel prices were already on a bad trajectory with gas rising some 60% from $2 - $2.30 to the mid $3 dollar range, before we ever heard of Russia amassing troops at the Ukrainian border.

It would be one thing if it were only the gas cost but like it or not, gas is our lifeblood whose price affects EVERYTHING.

This is a fixable problem if the will existed, which sadly I believe does not.

Its a supply and demand issue. Our sitting president understands this evidenced by his asking OPEC to release reserves for relief.

Last edited:
hopefully November will stop some of the madness. im getting sick of hearing about going green and electric powered vehicles.
The EV market should be allowed to mature itself, growing as consumer interest and grid capability increases. It SHOULD NOT be forced on an unaccepting public, especially when both the technology and support infrastructure are in their infancies.

I read an article couple weeks ago of two ladies that rented electric vehicle and went from Chicago to New Orleans round trip. the trip was an absolute nightmare. trying to find places to charge up.plus the fear of the vehicle running out of juice. we are not ready for this and never have been ready

Nothing is simple today... but the truth is everything is way more complex than it appears and since we are not allowed to discuss it here...

Last edited:
I read an article couple weeks ago of two ladies that rented electric vehicle and went from Chicago to New Orleans round trip. the trip was an absolute nightmare. trying to find places to charge up.plus the fear of the vehicle running out of juice. we are not ready for this and never have been ready
My brother has had a model S for 6 years now, he just drove to Niagara Falls from Sarasota Fl. again for the summer, and the car tells you where the next station is located, I agree we are not ready for everyone to have electric cars but they are in the infantile stages now, like it or not times are changing and everything will be way different 10 years from now, I've been a motorhead my whole life starting with go-karts, dirt bikes and snowmobiles.

First of all 90% of EV drivers charge at home, Tesla was giving away free charging for life to get sales going 6 years ago when my brother paid $108,000 for his twin motor big battery S version.

I ordered the three-motor 500-mile Cybertruck within 5 minutes of opening orders, $80,000. not bad compared to my friend's new diesel 4x4 $90,000.

Last edited:
Simple people have simple answers... but the truth is everything is way more complex than it appears and since we are not allowed to discuss it here...

I agree its complex, and we can discuss it here.

Knowing that it takes a lot longer to increase oil production than any increase in demand takes, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that a little planning goes a long way. Reserve capacities, becoming less dependent on foreign sources (like we were until just recently) to insulate our economy would be a good thing.

But then I might just be 'simple' which is quite the ad-hominem jab don't you think?

When our government controls where you can drill, when you can drill, how much you can drill while taxing at each step, its disingenuous for them to say 'we have no say in gas prices'. That's conflict of interest BS. We could and should.

We have what we need right here. With some rational agreements with our oil producers and refiners along with meaningful government assurances that won't flop back and forth after every election result, we could alleviate a lot of what we now experience in the dramatic economic swings caused by oscillating fuel prices that occur every time a foreign leader farts.

The stated goal now is that we are 'transitioning' to electric, apparently meaning there's no need to worry about the current prices.

We have to get along somehow until EV's are viable on a large and sustainable scale. We're not ready yet. When will we meaningfully be?

Lets not forget that the total taxes, some of it based on percentages such as sales taxes (increased fuel prices have more than doubled sales tax revenue along with the price per gallon of gas for those government entities that collect it) are in sum far greater than the per gallon profit the oil companies make on a gallon of gas.

If I follow the money and see who all is profiting on this and whom is deflecting blame to whom, I find a huge conflict of interest.

This year the state of VA added a road use tax to the registration of my Prius. This is due to the fact I am not buying enough gas to pay for my part of road use. I expect it to happen everywhere as hybrid and EV becomes more prevalent. One side gives you a tax break for not creating smog the other side takes it back.

This weekend I met a couple that was afraid to drive their all electric car (unknown make) to a friends, because he didn't have more than a 110v plug available. They also put the blame on the rest stops not having a fast charger. The infrastructure for EV will need a serious upgrade to make them truly usable. That said I love my Prius.

Yes they need a road tax for EV's

Follow the money
ExxonMobil, the country's largest oil company, reported its net profit more than doubled to $5.5 billion from a year earlier. That was even after booking a $3.4 billion charge from exiting its operations in Russia.

Meanwhile, Chevron reported its highest quarterly profit in nearly a decade,
while Shell posted its highest earnings ever.

Follow the money
ExxonMobil, the country's largest oil company, reported its net profit more than doubled to $5.5 billion from a year earlier. That was even after booking a $3.4 billion charge from exiting its operations in Russia.

The total of all government taxes is even higher than these profits.

Follow the money

Such BS

Stasch said it best. A little planning goes a long way. Nobody gets to wave a magic wand and say there it's done. Oil companies don't plan for next month when they decide to drill a deep water well. There is no way in hell they will invest money in something like that with the greenies running around telling everyone the sky is falling. Our trajectory is dangerous and until some common sense decisions are made it's not going to get better.

First of all 90% of EV drivers charge at home, Tesla was giving away free charging for life to get sales going 6 years ago when my brother paid $108,000 for his twin motor big battery S version.

I ordered the three-motor 500-mile Cybertruck within 5 minutes of opening orders, $80,000. not bad compared to my friend's new diesel 4x4 $90,000.

108k? That was what houses in my neighborhood were selling for then.

Lol , of course it's difficult right now but soon it will be simple to find chargers . I remember when the Web was just starting a couple guys challenge was to stay inside for a few weeks and try to survive by ordering everything online . They barely made it . Now it's commonplace to get most things online and harder not to .

Sad to say I won't be around to drive an electric fire truck when they ever get them, driving a 110 foot tower now that gets 4mpg. I've seen pics of electric firetrucks, we got a long way to go before they are practical on the fireground..

I just read that Formula One will be racing on zero emissions synthetic fuel by 2026 and MotoGP in 2027 but the practicality for production vehicles is doubtful. The EU parliament has voted to outlaw sales of new combustion vehicles by 2035. Germany has requested an exemption for synthetic fuels.

It will be one thing to have chargers. It will be another for the electric grid to be able to meet increased demand large scale.

We also have to figure out how people that can only afford used cars currently, get worked into electric as we'll basically be saying everyone has to buy or lease an expensive new electric vehicle to assimilate into the desired 'transition'.

Especially problematic for those who can't afford anything but a used car now, and if gas prices are kept artificially high to force the issue.

Even if everyone could afford one, there aren't enough available yet to meet that kind of quantum scale change demand. There's a waiting list for new Tesla's. We'll need 280,000,000+ of them to replace the existing ICE fleet. That's just in USA.

Gonna take a lot of real world planning, something the governments pushing the issue aren't good at.

Its going to take excellent management to keep pumping enough (maybe even more) oil to accomplish this without wreaking havoc.

Whether or not this will meet the hoped for goals is a whole 'nother topic.

...Gonna take a lot of real world planning, something the governments pushing the issue aren't good at.

Its going to take excellent management to keep pumping enough (maybe even more) oil to accomplish this without wreaking havoc.

The (un)stated goal in all this is to drive everyone to Euro-style cities, using Euro-style mass transportation. Except for the elites - they'll still have their limos, jets and petrol-burning power boats.

Meanwhile, China and other developing nations laugh at our silly meanderings and machinations as they pour megatons of pollutants into the air every year.

Let that sink in.

It will be one thing to have chargers. It will be another for the electric grid to be able to meet increased demand large scale.

We also have to figure out how people that can only afford used cars currently, get worked into electric as we'll basically be saying everyone has to buy or lease an expensive new electric vehicle to assimilate into the desired 'transition'.

Especially problematic for those who can't afford anything but a used car now, and if gas prices are kept artificially high to force the issue.

Even if everyone could afford one, there aren't enough available yet to meet that kind of quantum scale change demand. There's a waiting list for new Tesla's. We'll need 280,000,000+ of them to replace the existing ICE fleet. That's just in USA.

Gonna take a lot of real world planning, something the governments pushing the issue aren't good at.

I just watched a great video from Yaminoob about Zero motorcycles. Yet another issue with electric motorcycles (and cars) is Big Brother in control of the technology. All features are built into the bike shown, yet the owner must pay extra to activate and get to the desired performance level. Those features can be wiped out if the bike is sold requiring them new owner to pay once again. Like Apple products, Zero can “update” the bike to reduce performance to push the owner to want to buy a new one. I am so glad that my 09 C14 has everything I need and cannot be changed remotely by a tech tyrant.