• Forum Subscribers and COG Members, please be aware of policy changes put into effect due to action of the COG board of directors based on input from members. The new membership system makes it possible to implement these changes.

Forum Subscribers – Forum Subscribers get a six-month limited feature trial forum membership. Forum Subscribers Read the Details Here.

Members – Your full forum access is only in effect while your membership status is active. Members Read the Details Here

• FORUM NAME - If you are a COG Member and your user name does not match your name in the old forum or you just want a new one, you can now change it on your own. Read the Details Here

• *READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * If you are a current COG Member or Forum Subscriber and this is your first visit to our new site and forum, please go to www.concour.org and follow the instructions at the top of the page to activate your account and gain access to your site and forum.
  • READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Getting Old Samsung Note 4 Working

Daboo

Staff member
So, I'm looking at Mcfly's thread on building his latest computer and thinking that maybe, just maybe, some of you might tell me how to get my old Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone working again.

I've done a factory reset on it, and now it wants to sign into my Samsung account. No problem, I'm thinking. I can do this from my current phone or PC, so I know the account info. I enter it. And it says "Processing Failed". Not that I entered an incorrect password, but processing failed.

Any ideas? It was a Verizon phone before, if that makes a difference. I'd like to try using it as a GPS on the bike, so I don't care if it ever gets onto a phone network ever again.

Chris

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
Industry Vendor
What doesn't work on the phone?

I had one once, but stopped using it after Samsung updated the software and rendered the pen useless, well, not completely useless, but it stopped drawing lines less than 1/8 inch in length.

Does it connect to WI-FI?
Do any apps run?
Is the battery shot?

Daboo

Staff member
What doesn't work on the phone?
Does it connect to WI-FI?
Do any apps run?
Is the battery shot?
The phone is stuck on the third step of the initial setup. The phone is going through the initial setup steps because I did a "Factory reset".
It connects to Wi-Fi just fine.
I can't get to the apps to do anything.
The battery is fine, and charged to 100%.

1602724233574.png1602724269287.png1602724431224.png

Chris

Scary Harry

Industry Vendor
Well, here is something that bubbled to the surface

I have never seen this problem, but it may work.
Plenty of people have this issue. Try the video.

Daboo

Staff member
I'll have to find a place where I can get no cell service. I just don't want to tie up a 911 dispatcher with a bogus call.

Most fixes, go back to this idea of using the one thing you can get to, the Emergency Call service.

I'd even be willing to install a different firmware since I only care about the GPS functionality.

FWIW, the Note 4 originally started failing on a trip over to see TimR in Twisp. I tried resetting it many times over the next few days till I gave up and bought a Note 9. Then about a month ago, I found a YouTube video describing a "fix" I'd never seen before. He took the entire phone apart to get to the motherboard, and then inserted some tin foil in three places. Yup, tin foil. High tech. And it worked! The phone seems to be functioning fine in the startup sequence anyway.

It's a defect in my personality that when I'm this close to getting my old beloved Note 4 working again, I just can't get there. I'm close...but the Fat Lady has not sung yet.

Chris

Scary Harry

Industry Vendor
Good luck.

I gave up on Samsung a while back. I now use unlocked phones from Motorola.
Less expensive, and after all, I just need a phone and a couple of apps.

Tour1

Your Samsung account is not your gmail account. Your ID might not be your gmail email either.
If it was a phone the ID might be your phone number and the SamsungAccount.jpgpassword might be the "last 4 digits of your social".

Last edited:

Daboo

Staff member
Thanks, Tour1. I didn't add a Google account to the phone in the beginning. Just to be sure it wasn't interfering, I tried that password too. Same result. Processing failed.

Chris

Tour1

There must be a way to reset that or they couldn't take trade-in phones, could they? They only seem to take trades on phones that are still selling in retail stores but still, would they toss a few hundred dollars in the trash because you didn't tell them your Samsung account and password?
Also, I thought since you still have an android/Samsung, can you use the "Find ID or reset password" button on your current phone to possibly learn your account details from the original phone?

Daboo

Staff member
They don't make it easy, because they are trying to make it hard to resell stolen phones.

Chris