• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Givi Monolock Trunk Question

big0red4224

I've got a Givi monolock trunk (E47) that came with my C14 when I got it. I can't figure out how the heck it is supposed to close. The lid closes, but the latch doesn't seem to engage on anything and the lid can just be lifted without pulling the handle. How is this thing supposed to work? Am I an idiot or is it just broken?

I find at times the internal flat plastic locking flange on the lower portion gets stuck in the disengaged position.
I quick flip with a finger will move it forward. Then close lid and press the red button. Now turn the key and remove it.
Hope you can follow that.

another thing I’ve seen is the latch accidentally latching - press release and try.

Alright. Apparently I’m just an idiot. I had to take the locking mechanism out and mess with it to understand it. I’ve never seen a locking mech like it. I was unaware that it cams over and latches in place when you press down and in on the place it looks like you need to press in and up.

I have to fiddle with mine once in awhile when it locks without the lid being closed. But over all seems to be a good system.

Trunks are si useful, i never take mine off . Couple a couple buddies with c14 and fjr's who take theres off on our rte's. And then guess who's bringing home the leftovers... heck if im going somewhere sketchy, i can even fit my tank bag in there if i don't feel like totting it around...

My GIVI box has seen a lot of use, I am 2nd owner and a combined ~80K miles mounted to a C-14.

Not certain the lifespan of these boxes but really not impressed:
  1. Top cover ‘lock’ quality that can easily be overpowered and popped open. (I attached a mini master lock to mine)
  2. Top cover lock that needs to be played with to make it work - always
  3. Mounting plate release mechanism (that worked without flaw previously) has failed - now box cannot be released from mounting plate.
  4. Always been a bit wobbly (very small amount) on the mounting plate.
It seems to me the plastic cover lock and especially the mounting plate locks should be a more sturdy design and maybe 🤔 metal or a metal / plastic combination or a entirely different design...

We do use the trunk constantly and wound not want to be without it (most times) but on my replacement trunk will look for a more sturdy option / must be available???