• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Givi V47 or V56?

KiloXray

Hey ya'll. I'm interested in putting a top case on my C14. Ive narrowed it down to the Givi V47 or the V56. Obviously the V56 is bigger, but I'm not sure I need all that space, or want the extra size/weight up top. I'm leaning towards the V47.

I'd love to hear from those of you that have either of them which one you would recommend.

I'd especially love to hear the perspective from anyone who has switched from one to the other and why.

Thank you!

FTB530 said:
I have a v56.  On a weekend ride I wished I had more room, Motostorm has the best prices!

Good to know! And thanks for the shop point out. I appreciate that.

Are there any customs issues/fees associated with ordering from there? Seems they ship from Italy (and the shipping is still shockingly reasonable!)

I've seen both mounted, and looked at the interior "space", both are nice.. I do not, nor have ever owned one tho.
I have a SHAD 42L trunk which I've been using for many years, it does what I need of it; which is make an accessible temporary place to stick stuff into on a trip, or store my tank bag when I park.. along with the side luggage, and when on a "trip" toting stuff in weatherproofed "Kayak" bags or other such, I like to keep my "perch mounted" weight to a minimum.. not saying it ever was a thing that effected handling, just preferred to mount other "soft" bags, over my side bags, to hold things I was not going to need until I reached my destination.. then I pull those off, toss 'em on the ground, and set camp, or go on.

The smaller trunk can be increased in capacity, to a great extent, with the addition of a purchased, or (COG frugal) additional "top rack" made from an old refrigerator wire shelf, grill pice, or some other similar "rack".. and removed when not really needed..

I carry like 35# of tools in one saddlebag, and the other side carries stuff like "guns n ammo", or stuff I want at hand, but still locked up..  Now I pull a H/F toter trailer behind my bike, on long treks with the wife, and actually pull my bags OFF, and put them in the toter, along with like 200-300# of other "needs"...
day to day need for a 50L trunk, to me, is kind of overkill... but the bike won't care.

so, in the end, a smaller plastic box, well attached, and with an auxillary rack attached on top, is easily capable of holding a G.I. Dufflebag.. when called upon for an overnighter trip..2 up.  90% of the time, my trunk is holding about half it's capacity in "volumn", and only like 6 # of weight.. it also holds helmets. as does my side bag.

I currently have both a V47 and a Maxia4 (56 liters), they migrate between different bikes constantly. The former is good enough for most days, but if I'm going shopping or travelling, I always reach for the biggest gun in the holster. The weight difference is minimal, at least I can't notice an extra pound or two stuck onto the tail of a 600# bike. Get what best suits your needs of the moment. If you need to change later, luggage is probably one of the easiest things in the world to resell.

Ride safe.

( and definitely check out Motostorm.it )

Rob said:
FTB530 said:
I have a v56.  On a weekend ride I wished I had more room, Motostorm has the best prices!

Good to know! And thanks for the shop point out. I appreciate that.

Are there any customs issues/fees associated with ordering from there? Seems they ship from Italy (and the shipping is still shockingly reasonable!)
Even with the shipping it was about$150 ish cheaper the. Anywhere else I looked, think it took about a week and a half to get to me!

MAN OF BLUES said:
so, in the end, a smaller plastic box, well attached, and with an auxillary rack attached on top, is easily capable

This is kind of where my head is at on this one as well. A rack on top of the 47 is feeling the most appropriate for me right now. We arent planning any major excursions for the time being. Just some 1 or 2 night camping trips with my 12 yr old.  I used to be into ultralight backpacking, so ive got some killer gear that doesnt take up much space. I think that between the side bags, the V47 and a rack to lash stuff to, we should be all set.

PeterL said:
Get what best suits your needs of the moment. If you need to change later, luggage is probably one of the easiest things in the world to resell.

Thanks Peter. Knowing that it would be relatively simple to sell off a V47 if it doesn't cut it for me pretty much settles it. I think I'm gonna go smaller for now. Cheers.

... I'm pretty sure I've mentioned elsewhere previously, my life philosophy is "Anything worth doing is worth OVERdoing".

Here's a shot of my 56 liter Maxia4. You know- the one you can store an entire 2 bedroom apartment in, WITH Givi's E159 luggage rack on top. If nothing else, it makes wheelieing the Concours much easier when fully loaded!

Ride safe.

Attachments

• s2 V56- all installed.jpg
    s2 V56- all installed.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 258
I have had both...I originally purchased the V47.  I had it for about 6 months, sold it and purchased the Maxia 4 56L.  I love the extra space.  I tend to over-pack.  I think you will be happy with either one.  I purchased both of mine at motocard.com

I ended up ordering the V47 and a Phils Farkles rack. One step at a time. Hope to have it all squared away by the spring.

I'll probably still get a back rest and rack for the V47 eventually.

Speaking of the backrest, does anyone ever just mount those with velcro? I thought it might be nice for it to be "removable" and also adjustable to a degree.

PeterL said:
... I'm pretty sure I've mentioned elsewhere previously, my life philosophy is "Anything worth doing is worth OVERdoing".

Here's a shot of my 56 liter Maxia4. You know- the one you can store an entire 2 bedroom apartment in, WITH Givi's E159 luggage rack on top. If nothing else, it makes wheelieing the Concours much easier when fully loaded!

Ride safe.

If you like that why not get the Corbin big ass trunk. It weighs about 40 lbs empty! That'll help the wheelies!

I have had the older Givi 46 I think forever.  It was on my first Concours and has moved to every one since. 4 now c 10, c14 and about 200k and never had to buy one.  It is big enough.  I notice that if the back seat is empty and behind truck winds the trunk adds to the wobble.  Bigger trunk may mean more wobble.  That is my only input.

I have a Maxia 55, and love it.

I'm in the camp of bigger is better, and when I travel I'd rather have too much space available.
When I'm riding multi-day single, I rarely fill this up to capacity.  Two-up, it's packed.

Something else not mentioned:  the 56 should hold  two full-face helmets side by side, when empty.
This is great for two up day touring, when stopping for lunch, etc, and keeping your gear locked up and not having to carry it into the restaurant or off the bike.

Additionally, riding single, the larger box give you room for helmet AND gear when off the bike.

I personally added an Admore light kit to the back of my E55, and consider it a GREAT safety upgrade in terms of bringing both the Turn Signals and Brake Lights Higher into the line of sight of the motorist behind you.

Win win.

gr

I've got an older 52L that migrated from my C-10 to the C-14. It held two modular HJC helmets but when we went to Shoei Modulars, it wouldn't close and lock with them inside. I subsequently put helmet locks under the rack to hang the two helmets.

I have the 56 and its enormous. It looks huge on the bike but its also very useful. Nice to be able to get groceries and quickly lockup the lid if its raining (I use the license plate bracket helmet lock unless its pouring). Considered adding the brake light package to it, but haven't pulled the trigger. Anyone added them?

MAN OF BLUES said:
I've seen both mounted, and looked at the interior "space", both are nice.. I do not, nor have ever owned one tho.
I have a SHAD 42L trunk which I've been using for many years, it does what I need of it; which is make an accessible temporary place to stick stuff into on a trip, or store my tank bag when I park.. along with the side luggage, and when on a "trip" toting stuff in weatherproofed "Kayak" bags or other such, I like to keep my "perch mounted" weight to a minimum.. not saying it ever was a thing that effected handling, just preferred to mount other "soft" bags, over my side bags, to hold things I was not going to need until I reached my destination.. then I pull those off, toss 'em on the ground, and set camp, or go on.

The smaller trunk can be increased in capacity, to a great extent, with the addition of a purchased, or (COG frugal) additional "top rack" made from an old refrigerator wire shelf, grill pice, or some other similar "rack".. and removed when not really needed..

I carry like 35# of tools in one saddlebag, and the other side carries stuff like "guns n ammo", or stuff I want at hand, but still locked up..  Now I pull a H/F toter trailer behind my bike, on long treks with the wife, and actually pull my bags OFF, and put them in the toter, along with like 200-300# of other "needs"...
day to day need for a 50L trunk, to me, is kind of overkill... but the bike won't care.

so, in the end, a smaller plastic box, well attached, and with an auxillary rack attached on top, is easily capable of holding a G.I. Dufflebag.. when called upon for an overnighter trip..2 up.  90% of the time, my trunk is holding about half it's capacity in "volumn", and only like 6 # of weight.. it also holds helmets. as does my side bag.
Absolutely agree. I do not like the feel of a trunk at speed. For commuting around town and running errands they're great, but i use my bike as a heavy weight sport bike and i hate the aero feel of a trunk, so on trips or sportier rides, i strap a waterproof 40L yellow kayaking bag to the rack, which i keep my clothes and shoes etc. in. I like that it makes me more visible from behind, it's waterproof and easily removable, and is much lower profile than a trunk. That said, if you don't regularly exceed about 85mph, you probably won't "feel" the trunk, and it is very convenient having that locking capacity around town.

If you're considering the V47, also consider the V46.  Obviously it's nearly as big, and if you ride and/or commute much in the dark it's reflector array makes it one of the most visible to motorists top cases out there, especially if you install a light kit like I've done.

I also think its less angular shape goes well with the C14's lines.

robertv said:
Is anyone using a Givi SR410? Saw this on Revzilla => https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-sr410-top-case-rack-kawasaki-gtr1400-concours-2008-2014

Can't tell if it looks similar to V47 or other model. Finally going to put on a top case for some long road trips. Thanks!

The SR410 is a top case platform to mount a top case onto, not an actual top case.  There are cheaper top case mounts out there, e.g. from Twisted Throttle, that can be used with a variety of top case brands including Givi.

Also, if buying a new top case, check Motosport in Italy.  They're much cheaper than any US vendor that I'm aware of, and shipping is surprisingly quick. 

I've got the Maxia 55. I'd rather have extra room than not have enough. Plus it only takes about 10 seconds to remove. I like having enought room for 2 full faced modulars.

Rob said:
Speaking of the backrest, does anyone ever just mount those with velcro? I thought it might be nice for it to be "removable" and also adjustable to a degree.

So those with the V47 and a backrest, which one do you have? I noticed Kaw's backrest is different from what Revzilla/Motostorm (Givi E134S) are showing yet both shown are compatible on the V47. From the looks of it the Kaw has more width and appears to be more padded too.

Revzilla... https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-e134s-backrest-pad-for-v47-top-cases
Kaw... https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/kqr-47-liter-top-case-backrest-pad/999940494

Attachments

• backrests.png
    backrests.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 112
jonesey2791 said:
I have the 56 and its enormous. It looks huge on the bike but its also very useful. Nice to be able to get groceries and quickly lockup the lid if its raining (I use the license plate bracket helmet lock unless its pouring). Considered adding the brake light package to it, but haven't pulled the trigger. Anyone added them?

Jonesey, I added the Admore lights several years ago to a 56L top case on my 2014.  It is expensive but I like the extra visibility, especially for large trucks that can't see through the trunk to my brake light (although the shouldn't be that close in the first place!).  The harness is plug and play.  You just need to get access to the tail light connections in the tail.  The bike specific harness comes with the appropriate plugs that just get plugged in-line.  The only disadvantage is that it does not use the "plugless" connection that the Givi light kit uses.  I had one of those on my VFR and it is a cleaner install.

The LEDs are very bright and it incorporates amber turn signals and a brake light modulator.  I would do it again if I ever have to.

Jeff