• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GIVI V47 vs V56 top case

headstill2172

I tried search but no luck. I have a new rider (wife) and she needs a backrest and WE need a place for helmets and stuff. Both helmets are XL. I already have the AST rear rack with monokey attaching points so GIVI wins over SHAD.

Does anyone have any experience between the two? pictures from the rear? How is the backrest for your passenger?

thanks

I have both the Givi V47 and Maxia 56
The 47 WILL NOT hold 2 helmets
The 56 does easily

My wife much prefers the backrest of the 56
It’s much wider
HTH
Bob

I tried search but no luck. I have a new rider (wife) and she needs a backrest and WE need a place for helmets and stuff. Both helmets are XL. I already have the AST rear rack with monokey attaching points so GIVI wins over SHAD.

Does anyone have any experience between the two? pictures from the rear? How is the backrest for your passenger?

thanks

Mr. Headstill ( you a golfer??)

I gave you bad intel.
I do not have a V47. I have a V46.
The V46 does not hold 2 helmets.
The V47 might. I don't know.
I'm sorry.

Best Regards
Bob

Anyone know where to get a top box like this…? Is it a homebrew hybrid or something commercially available?

Attachments

• 40C5EB43-B885-4CB0-A596-A40FE9E05E0F.jpeg
    40C5EB43-B885-4CB0-A596-A40FE9E05E0F.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 72F7590F-4FE3-4A1A-B6CF-E4FF3DD0C426.jpeg
    72F7590F-4FE3-4A1A-B6CF-E4FF3DD0C426.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 264
Saw this on a bike for sale on the FB page and sent the seller a msg asking for the source. No reply as of yet. If I hear anything I’ll share right away!

Saw this on a bike for sale on the FB page and sent the seller a msg asking for the source. No reply as of yet. If I hear anything I’ll share right away!
I too asked, and he said it’s a V47 with the kawi factory trim cover, in the ‘17 blue. The armrests were his engineering, bought off of Ebay, Spaced out both armrest and backrest to match. Pretty cool design. Here are the pics he sent

Attachments

• 6AFC6CB1-7A94-4431-AFA9-E11388048361.jpeg
    6AFC6CB1-7A94-4431-AFA9-E11388048361.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 199
  • C0DD51C6-8499-49C4-9CB9-64DDDAE9F0BB.jpeg
    C0DD51C6-8499-49C4-9CB9-64DDDAE9F0BB.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 45B3DC3F-ADEA-4264-A128-7DE8B0ACE474.jpeg
    45B3DC3F-ADEA-4264-A128-7DE8B0ACE474.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 185
Will the GIVI top case click into the Kawasaki adaptor plate they make for the C-14? It looks like it will. I don't want to buy a new Kawasaki top case if I don't have to.

Will the GIVI top case click into the Kawasaki adaptor plate they make for the C-14? It looks like it will. I don't want to buy a new Kawasaki top case if I don't have to.

Dave,
I’m not positive, but I best I can tell it seems Givi makes top cases for Kawasaki.
I can take some measurements and pics for you if that’ll help
Bob

One thing that I have learned from asking around… the v47 and the V56 both share the cosmetic center top cover (sim carbon or aluminum) and share the outside top cover (which Kawasaki sells in 4 colors). They don’t advertise the top outer cover as being an option for the V56 but they have the same part number.
ALSO…
If you want to buy the fancy upper light kit for either box, you MUST use the GIVI c-14 mount so the the electrical contacts will work properly. So my AST tray (stout) or Phil's farkles tray will not be compatible with the fancy kit. There are other companies that make a more functional light kit for these two top boxes that have brake/park/turn but they need to be plugged in each time you attach the box. The GiVI light kit is pretty slick but only allows for brake lights… kinda disappointing for all the effort to hook them up.

Last edited:
Be aware, older Kawasaki trunks were MonoLOCK and required the plastic mounting plate. They changed around 2015 to MonoKEY which can be attached directly to a metal luggage rack and eliminated the extra layer of plastic. Givi MonoKEY trunks ALL use the same, neater attachment.

As Phillip mentioned, the Kawasaki Trunk I have is a MonoLOCK and required the universal adapter.
That adapter raises the trunk about 1 inch and wasn't a solid as I preferred.
I didn't like that, so I found a metal mount that attaches directly to Phills rack.
NOTE: A trunk with MonoKEY is a better mount but the MonoLOCK is good.
At the time, it took a lot of searching to find that mount. (I actually had to order it from Australia)
But it might be possible to find them again. Phil may recall the name of the kit (??).
My lighting set up does not use the GIVI electrical connection. (I had the GIVI connection on my other Connies and it will quit working after time)
The trunk lights I have came with a 4 pin connector that attaches on the side of the trunk. Works great.

Ride safe, Ted

The factory rack is made from plastic and you can easily attach the mounting plate to it.
The issue is the OEM plate (being plastic) flexes a little and the trunk is not as solid as it could be.
Additionally the Adapter also increases movement.
This is fine if your wife isn't leaning on it, or you carry heavy loads in it.
Phil's Rack (aluminum) is stronger. Removing the mounting plate is (more) stronger.
NOTE: Not saying that it is going to fail. Just offering thoughts because it concerned me.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I have one of the early Kawasaki/Givi (MonoLOCK) trunks and sent Kawasaki a note asking about their rack flexing and reports of failures.
They replied back that my wife wasn't supposed to lean against the Trunk. (%$*XX!!!)
So, I asked; why did they (and GIVI) also sell the back rest/pads for the trunk.
No reply from Kawasaki (%$*XX!!!) but they changed to a MonoKEY trunk the next year.

I have a Givi 56 top case on my Concours(that does double duty on my N1k), and my wife hated the Givi backrest on both.
It puts her too far forward and/or is too high on her back to be comfortable(I don't ride back there so IDK). I got the Phil's rack and mounted the case all of the way back, and used some leftover stick on foam from a Shorai battery to get it to her liking. It looks like s**t, but works a charm for her. I have a backrest for a 56L Givi available for sale if anyone needs it.

Attachments

• 20220326_182458[1].jpg
    20220326_182458[1].jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 145
I have a Givi 56 top case on my Concours(that does double duty on my N1k), and my wife hated the Givi backrest on both.
It puts her too far forward and/or is too high on her back to be comfortable(I don't ride back there so IDK). I got the Phil's rack and mounted the case all of the way back, and used some leftover stick on foam from a Shorai battery to get it to her liking. It looks like s**t, but works a charm for her. I have a backrest for a 56L Givi available for sale if anyone needs it.
Already ordered by backrest, or you would have a sale! As they say, one size does not fit all. Thanks for the share.

As Phillip mentioned, the Kawasaki Trunk I have is a MonoLOCK and required the universal adapter.
That adapter raises the trunk about 1 inch and wasn't a solid as I preferred.
I didn't like that, so I found a metal mount that attaches directly to Phills rack.
NOTE: A trunk with MonoKEY is a better mount but the MonoLOCK is good.
At the time, it took a lot of searching to find that mount. (I actually had to order it from Australia)
But it might be possible to find them again. Phil may recall the name of the kit (??).
My lighting set up does not use the GIVI electrical connection. (I had the GIVI connection on my other Connies and it will quit working after time)
The trunk lights I have came with a 4 pin connector that attaches on the side of the trunk. Works great.

Ride safe, Ted

The SW-MOTECH MonoLOCK adapter kit is sometimes available through TWISTED THROTTLE as they are sole importers of SW-MOTECH stuff. It’s very hard to find in stock.. It does eliminate the extra plastic adapter plats and is rock solid when mounted on a solid base.

I found a simple solution for the GIVI Backrest issue.
I bought/installed the Givi backrest and then I bought another inexpensive backrest on Ebay.
That Ebay backrest, mounts on the lower section of the trunk.
Being below the upper backrest, it supports her lower back and is much more comfortable for her.

Ride safe, Ted

I did a search and got lucky.
If anyone needs a MonoLOCK adapter from Twisted Throttle. They apparently have 1 now.
This adapter does away with the Universal Adapter and the trunk sets lower.

Ride safe, Ted

I found a simple solution for the GIVI Backrest issue.
I bought/installed the Givi backrest and then I bought another inexpensive backrest on Ebay.
That Ebay backrest, mounts on the lower section of the trunk.
Being below the upper backrest, it supports her lower back and is much more comfortable for her.

Ride safe, Ted
This was my first thought when I saw this design! So the lower pad, does not keep the top from opening? A pic would be very helpful, thx

sw motech has it's own US site now and they carry just about everything they make. If they don't have in stock you call or email about availability.

Attachments

• DA428075-5E9A-4656-951F-405440BF8936.jpeg
    DA428075-5E9A-4656-951F-405440BF8936.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 8A92137B-5135-4490-B094-AB2622D4F750.jpeg
    8A92137B-5135-4490-B094-AB2622D4F750.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 110
  • 6258B6EE-5716-4300-B5C2-F92BE3A38B1B.jpeg
    6258B6EE-5716-4300-B5C2-F92BE3A38B1B.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 118
  • F48C0B9D-AEA2-4CF8-B1A5-C77EF8BB41C9.jpeg
    F48C0B9D-AEA2-4CF8-B1A5-C77EF8BB41C9.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 121
  • F7E0E169-D258-4CFE-853C-54540753ED2B.jpeg
    F7E0E169-D258-4CFE-853C-54540753ED2B.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 119
I too asked, and he said it’s a V47 with the kawi factory trim cover, in the ‘17 blue. The armrests were his engineering, bought off of Ebay, Spaced out both armrest and backrest to match. Pretty cool design. Here are the pics he sent
This is an interesting setup. Initially we were looking for something similar and couldn’t find much. We decided to give it a season.

We found ourselves enjoying the more and more spirited riding the C14 can provide and with weight / posture shifting in in the mountains I don’t think my wife would be comfortable with the arm rests spotting her in place.

Next the roads here - terrible in eastern PA, criminally so in places. Having an arm rest jabbing your underarms or worse yet your elbows and sending shock straight to your shoulder is not far from locking your arms straight below you on the grips / bad news.

So - we decided to stick with only the backrest and leave out the arm rests.

Some things to think about,

Wayne, Carol and Blue

I'm on my third Givi on the C14. Having lost two to becoming loose while riding - a V46 and my first V47(if you think PA's bad, try Quebec roads). Last one I got was a V47 with the E135 brake light kit (can't have enough visibility - or lights!).

The current V47 is bolted to the mount plate with some stainless steel hardware. I have the E134S backrest, but I haven't had a back seater in over 3 years.

I'm a fan of Givi overall - also on to my second tank bag with their Tanklock system. Love it.

I'm on my third Givi on the C14. Having lost two to becoming loose while riding - a V46 and my first V47(if you think PA's bad, try Quebec roads). Last one I got was a V47 with the E135 brake light kit (can't have enough visibility - or lights!).

The current V47 is bolted to the mount plate with some stainless steel hardware. I have the E134S backrest, but I haven't had a back seater in over 3 years.

I'm a fan of Givi overall - also on to my second tank bag with their Tanklock system. Love it.
When you say mounting plate, like OEM, GIVI, AST, or Phils?
I installed the V56 on a AST rack with monolock system. I am heading across country at end of the month, I do not want to lose the top case. Thx