• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Good Deal on Garmin 396 LMT GPS at Woot

Amphibsailor

Garmin Zumo 396 <---Woot link

Not certain this is the right place to put this, but Woot sent me an email advertisement for the Garmin 396 LMT GPS.  The link goes to eBay, but the seller is Woot which is owned by Amazon.  The GPS is $249.99, which seems like a good deal if you need a motorcycle specific GPS.

I'll STICKY this until they sell out!!!!

Just snagged one!!!!! Thanks!  MY old Zumo 450 is 11 years old and still works but it's time to have a replacement handy.

Craig

Touratech had the same GPS for $250 in November of last year but now back up to $400.
https://touratech-usa.com/store/Garmin-Zumo-396-LMT-S-Motorcycle-GPS-Navigation-Unit
I purchased it and tried it out.
Here is what I found out.
- It is not compatible with the Garmin Zumo Tire Pressure Sensors (the Touratech website implied they were).
- the screen brightness was not bright enough to read while riding. I contacted Garmin for support. There was a certain power cable that  had to be used. Even when I hooked that up it was a problem. I think the backlight would not stay on even when configured to do so. 
-The GPS unit would go into demo mode about 5-10 minutes of riding.
- Topo Maps are another $100. (was using on my ADV bike too)

Anyway I returned it, so other than the return shipping and restocking fee it was a inexpensive lesson learned.

I hope others have had better experience.

I got one too..

I've been using a Garmin Nuvi 2599 {for Auto's} for years and it's served me ok.
I opted to get one of these as it seems to have the same system and should be better for gloves/twisty/roads etc.

NOTE: I tried the Woot / Ebay site and they wanted to charge me $20 sales tax.
            A Buddy found the same GPS at the GPS Store. Same price, and no sales tax..  :great:

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-zumo-396-LMT-S-Motorcycle-GPS-P5565.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6uuGgo7i6gIVAdvACh2w0whJEAAYASAAEgLW4vD_BwE

Ride safe, Ted

Agreed.
Being newer, it may have some options your 660 does not, but it was helpful to me as I didn't have a motorcycle specific GPS previously.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Agreed.
Being newer, it may have some options your 660 does not, but it was helpful to me as I didn't have a motorcycle specific GPS previously.

Ride safe, Ted

It does and looks like updated screen. Not sure about the smartphone interface . I was hoping the screen was brighter but the reviews don't give much confidence. Thanks for finding and posting.

Comparison chart https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/zumoseriescomparison.html

I purchased this GPS, thru the WOOT link (thanks for the heads up) and received it just in time for brief road trip.
The screen brightness was low from the factory, but I did find an internal adjustment (it was set at like 25% default), adjusted it up, was plenty of bright for me after that. And this was during 10-12 hours saddle time for 3-4 days in the FL and GA sun, worked fine for me.