• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Got a new helmet. Where do you hang yours?

GRR125

I replaced my 15 y/o Shoei X11 with a Shoei Neotec 2 modular helmet. After trying on several other brands and models at Cycle Gear, I concluded that the Shoei still fit me best. And after going for a 200 mile ride yesterday, I am very happy with my choice.

I've grappled with wind noise on every bike I've owned. The Neotec was quieter than any helmet I've ever used, and riding behind my Vstream windshield half way up, the ride without earplugs was as quiet as I've experienced with other helmets with earplugs.

I like the integrated sun visor, which allows me to use eyeglasses if I need them, and I can easily flip it up when conditions get dark - much easier and safer than fooling with sunglasses.

But I haven't figured out a safe place to hang my new helmet when off the bike. When I stopped to take a break and get gas, I put the helmet in a saddlebag, as I didn't want it to roll off the seat or mirror.

Maybe I'll put on a license plate lock. What do you do?

If I’m not close to the bike, it goes in a bag, in the trunk, or hangs on the AST lock under the rack.
If I don’t feel like securing it, I set it on the tank with the chin bar nestled in the handlebars.
I can’t let myself hang it on a mirror....

I use one of the nylon helmet hooks that goes on the bar end -- like this one: https://www.amazon.com/The-Helmet-Hook-EX1-Lock/dp/B013ME9PII

It's more convenient than the lock I have on the seat, and way more secure from falls than setting in on the tank or hanging from a mirror. I also have a tiny combo lock that I use on it when leaving it on the bike at work -- but it's also in a secure lot and basically keep people honest. I wouldn't trust it for a mall stop, but I would at a local restaurant.

One other thing I've learned is that I like to attach the strap through the face. Constantly hanging out the neck ends up compressing the neck and cheek pads and I had the wind noise it eventually creates.

Helmet Guardian dual locks, mounts on license plate holder with security screws.
Twisted Throttle and ADVdesigns has them. I even modified the lock cylinder tumblers to work with my Kawi ignition key (my C10 first, then the Ninja 1000ABS key also).

If I'm staying in the area, I'll just flip it open and hang the helmet. Otherwise, if I walk away,  the helmet the is under my arm or locked in a saddlebag.

HTH

you say you have the Neotec II? I have that as well.

Since this helmet has no d-ring, how do these locks work with the system on this helmet?

I am trying to figure this out myself and don't have a solution yet.

Ackk, the lack of a D-ring was not mentioned, and flaw (feature??) of which I was unaware. Scratch my suggestion unless you buckle the strap and hang it temporarily in the hook. I've actually done precisely that, but note that I'm not leaving sights of the bike and am just hanging it there while I take some pictures, stretch my legs, etc...  :great:

A word of caution about hanging your helmet on the handlebar. 

Where I work, there are several who ride their bikes occasionally.  One rider typically hangs his helmet, by the strap, across one of the handgrips.  One day when I was walking in, I noticed a bird sitting on the handlebar directly above the helmet and as I approached to shoo it away....it made a deposit in his helmet. 

Told the rider about it and although he was not happy about the news....he was glad I told him so he did not put it on after work.  He also brings his lid into the office now.

For me, and while at work, I bring my helmet inside with me.  That way if it is boiling hot, frigid cold, raining, windy, etc. the helmet will at least be dry and room temp when I go out.  When running errands, I typically put it in one of the side bags.  When traveling I will either put it on the seat or bring it in with me.  When I leave it outside I am always hopeful no-one will want my bug covered lid enough to take it. :)

For helmets with no D-rings, go to Amazon. In the search bar put in T-bar motorcycle helmet lock.  The T-bar will slip into the female side of the helmet latch.  Most of what you'll see will include a combination lock carabiner.  I've seen just the T-bar in Revzilla and other aftermarket sellers.

Most of the time I ride with my Givi V46 top case, so it goes in there since I usually have too much stuff in the side cases to use one of them.  When travelling without the top case, I rest it on the passenger seat and secure it by wrapping a small cable and padlock around the rack rail and up through the helmet.  The cable is just long enough for this so the helmet barely moves. 

I like this method because I don't have to worry about wind knocking the helmet into the bike and scuffing both up like I would if I hung it off the bike somewhere.

Damn, I miss my X-11.
Best helmet I've ever owned, and I've had a few.

Helmets go in top case, or sidecases, or inside with me.

With my SENA mounted, a helmet represents a $750 piece of gear that I cannot afford to replace easily or quickly, and they're all too easy to steal (although i've never had that happen).

WIsh Shoei made helmets that fit my obtusely shaped noggin.....I'd buy another!

gr

Thanks to all for the suggestions. The strap and latch mechanism on the Neotec II doesn't lend itself to a T-bar very well, if at all.

If I secure it on the bike but not in the saddlebag, I will probably go with a short bicycle cable through the chin bar to a helmet lock, or through the luggage rack to a small padlock.  This will probably require opening up one of the slots in the luggage rack a bit.

Unsecure, (not going to be more than 10 feet from the bike) I hang it on the left passenger peg by the chin strap. Secured, I put it in my top case.

After the suggestion to look for a T-bar, I found the lidlox system and ordered one of those.

The t-bar will fit though the Neotec strap with no problem and it appears to be steel, so I couldn't bend or break it with my hands.

Mounted the locking mechanism on the top bolt of the clutch as they show in there video and everything works well.

I too normally put helmet in top case, or tsake it with me, but there are times when it is nice to have a place on bike to lock it up.