• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Got all three out just for the halibut..........

gbyoung2

After taking care of a little roof work earlier, decided to exercise all three of my bikes today.

Really not fair for the Connie since I rode it yesterday for a spell running errands. The KLR was out a few days ago too, so it ran well. The CL77, first time out in about a week. I take it out a little further out each time, 1-2 miles max from the house, until I gain more confidence with it. Still not running like I remember my old one as running. That bike was peppy, this one not so much - yet. Stretched cam chain, carbs............????  Dunno. Gearing is definitely different. Still sorting out a few issues, but we'll keep playing with it.

Img_5689a-XL.jpg

Img_5690a-XL.jpg

klrider said:
One intercontinental, one go anywhere, one 'round town putt. Looking good, nice stable, Guy!

Hard to believe that, that (now) 'round the town putt type carried my wife (at the time) and i on a 4000 mile trip up through Canada in the late '60's.  That poor bike was loaded down to the hilt with REAL camping gear back then. One whiskered plug (cleaned), some shucked chain rollers (carried a spare chain), and one empty tank (thank you Mr. farmer, whoever you were) were the only issues we had that whole trip.

Quite an adventure.

gbyIIc.jpg

VERY NICE THE 4K TRIP ON THE HONDA IS AWESOME!! Any more pics of that voyage?
I think i accidentally just obtained 2 more bikes. lol, throws me back over 10.  :mad:

m in sc said:
VERY NICE THE 4K TRIP ON THE HONDA IS AWESOME!! Any more pics of that voyage?
I think i accidentally just obtained 2 more bikes. lol, throws me back over 10.  :mad:

I do - a whole slew of them, but the majority are in slides buried away in a closet. A couple of others I dug out a few years ago, and scanned are below. These may have been in color, but just don't remember.

The first is at Ausable Chasm coming back down through NY, and the second is up in Canada somewhere. We stopped in Schenectady to visit some friends on the way through.

i-xcPVwFt-X2.jpg

i-d9MrGKS-X2.jpg

Hope those photos brought the whole memory to the frontal cortex. Looks like the ride of the lifetime  :great:

those pics are great. My dad used to take us camping in NY in the 70's, this reminds me of those trips.  (we were not a  bike though, my parents abhorred motorcycles).

Camp stove on the bike, thats great. And you had to carry white gas I assume. Cool pics and a great trip I am sure.
Wayne

Guy,
Thanks for sharing those pics, a simpler time and I bet a journey of a lifetime.
Love those helmets with the bubble shields?, one way to stop shield fogging from your breath.

I was thinking the same thing as Kzz1king on that stove packing on the bike along with the camping gear of the 60s.
Hey, you even had a camera, probably a Kodak instamatic.

Diz said:
Hope those photos brought the whole memory to the frontal cortex. Looks like the ride of the lifetime  :great:

They did, and that was back in the days of a former life. Still not sure what happened, but it did and the both of us moved on.

m in sc said:
those pics are great. My dad used to take us camping in NY in the 70's, this reminds me of those trips.  (we were not a  bike though, my parents abhorred motorcycles).

My dad was okay with them, my mom, not so much. After I got out of the service and cut the cord, the rest is history, so to speak. Considering all the stupid stuff I did on 4 wheels, not sure I would have lived through that part of my life. Not sure how I have survived this latter part either for that matter. But we have, and I look forward to still getting out as much as I can.

Kzz1king said:
Camp stove on the bike, thats great. And you had to carry white gas I assume. Cool pics and a great trip I am sure.
Wayne

I honesty don't remember what we used. That was well before the MSR-type fuel bottles, so might have just used fuel from the bike.

Dunno.

Bob_C_CT said:
Guy,
Thanks for sharing those pics, a simpler time and I bet a journey of a lifetime.
Love those helmets with the bubble shields?, one way to stop shield fogging from your breath.

I was thinking the same thing as Kzz1king on that stove packing on the bike along with the camping gear of the 60s.
Hey, you even had a camera, probably a Kodak instamatic.

All our stuff started out on a rack on the back, but the rear grab rail it was bolted to started to bend and sag. That's when we moved the two sleeping bags to the front. Took enough weigh off the back that the rail stayed put.

I used to have a problem when commuting the 15 miles from our farm outside of Lynchburg, VA to GE in town where I worked in the winter.  My beard would freeze to the inside of the bubble shield and I had to wait outside of the guardhouse so it would thaw enough to get the helmet off. The guards knew who I was, but they were messing with me so they could match my photo ID with my mug before they'd let me through the gate and in to the plant.

Camera? No Instamatic. At that time it was a Petri 35mm SLR. I had a small studio and full blown darkroom, so I processed most of my own B&W stuff, but no color. I didn't have good temperature control where the darkroom was set up in the back of the farm house.