• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Got it out of the way early

derekpriester5839

Well, pulling a lefty out of a parking space I tapped the front brake and over she went. I've owned my 2014 Connie for about 2 months. Luckily, I invested in the crash bars for the front and rear from T-Rex Racing. No visible damage to the bike and only mild scuffs on the aluminum pucks bolted to the crash bars - a wise purchase indeed. The bike settled nicely onto the bars which made it a bit more simple to pick up. I was thinking that maybe the crash bars were a bit overcautious....guess not.

Attachments

• front guard.jpg
    front guard.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 204
  • rear guard.jpg
    rear guard.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 199
My crash bars have saved my tupperware and mirror more than once. It was one of the first farkles I put on the bike, so yes a wise investment, I believe.

Were the crash bars difficult to install?
No. I have the Canyon Cage bars. You'll need to remove some of the fairing. A tip I received here (thank you COG) is to cut a hidden fin on each side fairing so I can easily remove the fairing in the future - for future maintenance (e.g., changing the air filter) - without taking the bars off. What's also nice about the canyon cages (if you can acquire a set somewhere) is you can install highway pegs on them.

Were the crash bars difficult to install?
I just put a set of Canyon Cages (No longer available) on my 2018 Concours 14 last Saturday. Some posts I read about the front motor mount bolt had me half scared to attempt it, but it was a piece of cake! It was good to exercise caution though - I used Mapp gas to give the bolt seven or eight short blasts to warm up the thread locker and the bolt came out nice and smooth, not even a 'crack.' I don't think my heat really did anything though because I didn't let it sink in long enough - I removed the bolt with my hand and the head was warm but the back threads were cool.

I was amazed at the design and workmanship of the Canyon Cages; I didn't have to remove or loosen ANY of the fairing! They made the parts so you can just twist them in through the vent holes. I may do the tip Road Runner mentioned about cutting a small hidden piece of the fairing so I can remove the middle fairing for maintenance without taking off the bars, but I'll decide to do that when the time comes.

I would recommend a ratcheting box-end wrench for installing the braces. I was able to get my hands in around the fairing to start the bolts, but it was tight.

Replaceable pucks on the T-Rex bars is a nice touch! I put the bars on mainly so I could put highway pegs on for a coast-to-coast trip next month.

Well, pulling a lefty out of a parking space I tapped the front brake and over she went. I've owned my 2014 Connie for about 2 months. Luckily, I invested in the crash bars for the front and rear from T-Rex Racing. No visible damage to the bike and only mild scuffs on the aluminum pucks bolted to the crash bars - a wise purchase indeed. The bike settled nicely onto the bars which made it a bit more simple to pick up. I was thinking that maybe the crash bars were a bit overcautious....guess not.
How were yours to install? Have to remove the bars to remove the fairing?

One thing I've learned in my 2 years of Concourse ownership is don't [ I know, hard too sometimes ] tap the brakes when in a sharp turn at low speeds. Dud eh?
I now try to plan ahead so I don't get myself in that situation.
Nick
2014 C-14

How were yours to install? Have to remove the bars to remove the fairing?
No, you do not have to remove the bars to remove the fairing IF you have cut a portion of the fin in an inconspicuous area behind where it meets up with the forward fairing. I've removed my fairing from around my canyon cages for 5+ years now, for simple maintenance (e.g., air filter change) to complex maintenance (e.g., valve check & adjustment). Note, I've found the canyon cage on the right side need to be loosened and moved slightly to perform the valve work around the cam chain tensioner area (if I remember correctly).

Last edited:
One thing I've learned in my 2 years of Concourse ownership is don't [ I know, hard too sometimes ] tap the brakes when in a sharp turn at low speeds. Dud eh?
I now try to plan ahead so I don't get myself in that situation.
Nick
2014 C-14

You're soooo right on that Nick.