• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

gps mount

icecar@verizon.net

Greetings. I have a 93 ZG1000 purchased new and it's been upgraded with Performance Machine 320mm rotors and their calipers, powder coated wheels and aftermarket exhaust etc. As I have other interests in the exotic car world the bike was unused for a number of years. I brought it out of hibernation earlier this year and did some 1200 miles or so. I was a long time past member of COG and just rejoined yesterday and happy to be back.
My inquiry is... Is there an aftermarket mount available for a Garmin/TomTom gps for this bike and if so where can I purchase one. When I bought this bike this stuff was in its infancy or didn't exist. Been riding Kawasaki's since 1969.

Thanks, Steve

Go to"rammount.com" then search for "motorcycle" using their site search box. Then search on Amazon or Google to find resellers.

Thanks guys. As it's a 93 I prefer to not lose the l/s pocket if possible and maintain as original as possible. As my shop has some fabrication facilities I may try to make one up or modify the existing one that came with the unit. I believe there are aftermarket mounts available at Best Buy etc and I was thinking of mounting it to the back side of the instrument panel (as you are looking at it) as that would not block gage vision and is behind the slip stream. Obviously I want the least amount of vibration when mounted.
I will also look at the mounts suggested...

Thanks.

a ram ball mount will fit into the brake and clutch mounts where mirrors would otherwise screw in.  another option which is a little more intrusive is to remove the cover under the dash which is just above the gauges.  there are two screws that hold it on.  once removed, I mounted a flush mount ram mount to the top of the dash with a couple small bolts.  PM me if you'd like pics.

cra-z1000 said:
Larry Bucks shelf is no longer available though  :(.
He had me on a waiting list until he got enough orders to make a run
That was about two years ago
No longer on the website but if enough wanted one you might could talk him into another run

There are two more options...
1- Ram makes a mount that uses the same screws as the brake lever, or the clutch lever. The mount goes over the clamp portion of the lever housing and is fairly secure. I have one of these on my C14, but I'm pretty sure it would work on the C10 also. Here's a link to this mount:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAM-B-309-1U-Ram-Mounts-Cycle-Brake-Clutch-Reservoir-Base-w-1-Ball/121723713074?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D7630b9486e9446f6bada9c63b0a02b56%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D29%26sd%3D201948147810&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

2- Make a angle bracket, and mount the GPS on top of the Dashboard. This requires drilling 4 holes into the dashboard "hood", but it is an unbeatable location for the GPS. It's below your line of sight, but not that far, so it's easy to look at it with a slight downward glance. It also mounts it further away from your eyes, so the re-focus time for your eyes is reduced. The bracket is pretty simple, and vibrations are not bad. I had a Street pilot 9826 mounted there, and it lasted years. I attached the two best photos I could find of the bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_20160213_122333644 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20160213_122333644 - Copy.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20151208_173745951 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20151208_173745951 - Copy.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 217
George,
I'm not sure if I'm that special, but I had a little trouble with 3M trim tape sticking well. I had my heated grips (Oxford Heaterz) installed in that position, and had to re-stick them at least ones, maybe twice, over the years. Since it was a relatively light module, and had a healthy cable coming out of it, it wasn't a major issue and when it came off it just sort of hing there, but I would be afraid of mounting a GPS.
Could be that, even though I cleaned the are prior to attaching, I didn't clean it properly, but...

Jorge (spelled the efficient way - LOL)

Jorge said:
George,
I'm not sure if I'm that special, but I had a little trouble with 3M trim tape sticking well. I had my heated grips (Oxford Heaterz) installed in that position, and had to re-stick them at least ones, maybe twice, over the years. Since it was a relatively light module, and had a healthy cable coming out of it, it wasn't a major issue and when it came off it just sort of hing there, but I would be afraid of mounting a GPS.
Could be that, even though I cleaned the are prior to attaching, I didn't clean it properly, but...

Jorge (spelled the efficient way - LOL)

why isn't it spelled Jorje?  :D

PS...don't trust anyone who rides an 05 C10.  :-X

I use the RAM mount ball that screws into the mirror mount holes. One on each side. You can find RAM parts for anything.(go to their web site) I recommend that you use the aluminum arms not the composite. I over tightened a short composite arm and it cracked. RAM did replacement for free.

Attachments

• P1000270 compressed.JPG
    P1000270 compressed.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 174
Sport Rider said:
a ram ball mount will fit into the brake and clutch mounts where mirrors would otherwise screw in.  another option which is a little more intrusive is to remove the cover under the dash which is just above the gauges.  there are two screws that hold it on.  once removed, I mounted a flush mount ram mount to the top of the dash with a couple small bolts.  PM me if you'd like pics.

+1  that's what I did, keeps the gps basically in line of sight. I tried the clutch and brake reservoir mounts years ago but the vibes seeped through and would cause issues with the gps even thought I tried to rubber 'isolate' what I could.

Gentlemen, Thank you all for your input. I brought the gps unit in the shop today to trial fit it on the bike. It appears it was as Shakespere would say "much ado about nothing" I guess I over thought this.
The supplied Tom Tom mounts will function just fine in either the on top of the ip cluster location or just above the l/s storage pocket using their supplied base and suction cup twist lock. I installed a 12 volt accessory outlet years ago so I'm good to go when the glaciers up here melt away... I will purchase the recommended mounts as a back up.
As a side note my original COG membership number was 1573 and my AMA number is 770876 Lifetime... if that help the membership director.
Again, Thank you all for your input!!!! :great:

Steve

Sport Rider said:
PS...don't trust anyone who rides an 05 C10.  :-X

Trust even less one who used to have a 05 C10 until he... used it up  :'(
Thanks Dave!  I'm sure i'll be able to return the compliment  :p 

Steve,
Glad you figured this one out. It took me a little longer. My 1st try was a car GPS mounted to the plastic cover under the ignition switch. It worked OK, but vibrations on that spot ended up wearing the contacts so it would re-boot as I was driving.  :-[

Welcome back to the monkey house!

Monkey House??? Ok I'll go with that...
Actually as I do a lot of fabrication albeit some of it minor to my clients cars and this was fairly easy once I just got to it. As a back up I will add a tether to the unit in case of a mount failure. I noticed the ip cluster will vibrate a little bit more than the l/s  fairing inner trim so that's where I'll probably mount it.
Too bad I could not get my old COG number back, oh well, progress I suppose.

I use this on my connie and it holds phones and gps. I got it cheap at walmart. It comes with a sticky adhesive suction pad that has not loose since i first put it on.

Attachments

• E0DC9220-820E-4087-B3C6-142E85F1FD87.jpeg
    E0DC9220-820E-4087-B3C6-142E85F1FD87.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 147