• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GREEN OIL

RICHKAWI

No, not the environmentally friendly kind.
I was changing the oil and filters on a few bikes yesterday when I noticed the the oil that came out of the 2015 C14 had a greenish tint to it. All of the bikes that I was working on had the same oil in them, but just the C14 oil looked greenish. My first thought was that engine coolant had gotten into the oil. So, I went to check the coolant level. I crawled around the left side fairing with a flashlight for a while but couldn't see the overflow tank. Time ran out, so I'll try again in a couple of days. If I have to remove the fairing lower to check coolant level, then I will.

Has anyone come up with 'green' oil before? If so, what was the cause?
Also, is there an easier way to check coolant level.

Thanks

Rich

You should be able to see the coolant overflow tank with the fairing on; try looking again, its in the air exit fins/louvers
Nick
2014 C-14

All of the bikes had MOTUL 5100 and only the C14 oil had the greenish tint to it.

I'll take another look for the coolant tank later today.

Was the c-14 serviced recently with an engine tear down of any kind?

Assembly lube in the oil has a greenish tint.

No major tear downs or services. Just oil changes.

I was just wondering if there is a known issue (like the battery ground or leaking o-ring that has caused other issues) and may have may cause this.

If you had coolant leaking into the oil, the oil would be light gray in color and coolant level would be low. Coolant would be low enough to cause a possible over heat condition over time. Green? How does it smell?

Most synthetics have a greenish tint to them. If you had coolant in the oil it would be milky looking!

Thank you all for the info. I double checked the used oil containers from all three bikes and the colors are all similar. No greenish oil in the bunch. Maybe something in the background gave the oil a greenish tint while it was draining. My coolant level is right where it should be so I'll be monitoring the situation. Maybe even do an early oil change for piece of mind.

Guessing you’ll find nothing out of the ordinary.

Another thought: Do you live in a cold environment? Short trips or worse yet periodic short startups over the winter could collect some condensation and make the oil look a different color.