• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Greetings from a surprise new owner

vincenstuff

Good day from sunny California! I've ended up with a slightly sick C10, and am amazed to find such a dedicated group. Looking forward to getting it back on the road and dropping it.

Cheers,
Vince L

:welcome:

Hi Vince! I am Russ the Area Director in the Southwest and welcome to a great group of members! I live down in Orange County and look forward to meeting and riding with you sometime. If you need some help with your slightly sick C10 you have come to the right place for help and support! See you soon!

:motonoises:    :motonoises:    :great:

Welcome Vince, have fun fixing it up.  :great:
Just so you know,.... dropping it is NOT a requirement!  :rotflmao:

Welcome Vince! Yes, you are at the right place for more information than you will ever want on the C-10.

And please, if you do drop it, do it while trying to get it up on the impossible center stand and have a recording device on to capture it.

Show us some pictures please.

Welcome Vince to COG and congrats on your new-to-you C10. My wife and I will be in CA area end of July, for part 1 of our Pacific Coast Hwy trek.

Part 1 is we're biking (via rented bikes from Eagle Rider) from Seattle to San Fran. We'll do part 2 another year.

Hello Vince;
You'll find tons of information here these guys are the best! What year bike did you get? :beerchug:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Glad to hear dropping is not a requirement but this is by far the heaviest bike I've owned so we'll see...

It's a 2001, with about 26K on the speedo, blue with clean paint and plastics, only one soft dimple on the tank... but she's fouling her oil with coolant.

Only while running, and she runs well at least for the two short jaunts I've taken. For the price, worst case I'll source a good engine.

Will search around and open a proper thread once I've done some basics (compression test and water pump seals to start).

Thanks again and looking forward to getting some more miles on this under ridden bike.

Cheers,
Vince L

Welcome Vince.

It's not supposed to be possible for the coolant to get into the engine at the water pump.
  (As there is a drain hole that should relive the pressure)
But, I think there have been a few cases.

Ride safe, Ted

Really don't expect it to be the water pump, but the $11 oil seal plus $25 in fluids is an easy first check. If it weren't for that pesky day job, I'd jump straight to a teardown to refresh the head gasket and every other seal along the way... well, would probably check for cracks first, but yea.

Hi Vince and welcome.

I'm in the So Cal High Desert and commute to Big Bear daily on my new to me in April C-14.

I had a Ninja 1000 that shares engine DNA with C10s. They had head and gasket issues from time to time so I definitely think you are on the right track.

Enjoy the ride,
Jon

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome. First real shakedown ride after swapping the water pump last night, and buttoning up everything this morning. Pump weep hole was packed, and I found a decent one local.

This bike is... how should I say it, not my little SR400. It is smoooooth, and turns eventual if you ask nicely for long enough, and it just keeps on accelerating.

Front want's to wobble if you let go above 40, though not violently, so I'll have to tease out head bearings (definitely a bit loose) and maybe a new tire. All in all, I can tell what keeps you folks hooked.

More to come from a very happy camper.

Cheers,
Vince L

Attachments

• KIMG0997.jpg
    KIMG0997.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 90
Hello Vince. As you sed, not your SR-400.
So, it's not how long you ask it to thru, it's how much weight transfer.
You'll get used to it.

The C-10 is notorious for some head shake if you take your hands off the handlebar.
It normally does it during a decell. Everything has to be ideal to prevent it.
Tightening the steering head bearings will help, and check everything out.
Not being a smart eleck, but the simplest answer is; don't take your hands off the baes while decelerating.
When you get her ready, come ride with us...

See ya on the road.
        Ride safe, Ted

I always found it funny when people on the old ListServer used to moan about the "buzz" on the C10.
Having ridden large singles, BMW boxers and MotoGuzzis, not to mention many 70's bikes that had never even heard of Balancer Shafts, I always found the C10 to be smooth and mostly buzz free. What little there was was fixed with heavier bar-ends.
The C14 however is a whole new level of smooth!

AlCon, rest assured I do not go any real distance without both hands gripping the bars... just noticed plenty of chatter about it so curiosity got the better of me. Head steering stem nut wrench is in the mail.

Radiator held pressure just fine and she's not 'gaining' oil anymore... Not ready yet to confirm another magical mystery leak-free leaking water pump, but I'll post my findings in the forum and let everyone have at it.

Cheers,
Vince L.