• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Greetings! I had my Concours lowered

kienzler3597

Greetings! I had my Concours lowered. Ordered a new $200.00 adjustable kickstand 3 months ago so the bike won't stand almost straight up.
I've checked around a bit and sometimes it's not clear whether the kickstands are for the 2012 Concours 14. Anyone know where I can get one?
Thanks!!!
Bob

Who makes the kickstand?..how much lower that stock does your stand need to be?

Murph

Use a Propane Torch to Heat your stock stand {near the bottom} and bend it out slightly.
Adjust the amount of bend to the amount of lean you want.
Problem solved.

NOTE: If you want better, bend the leg out slight and them bend the foot back in {until it sets flat}.
(It's more work, but do-able)

Ride safe, Ted

There are also adjustable kickstand legs that should work. I lowered my daughter's ZZR600 and used an adjustable kickstand that worked great.

Greetings! I had my Concours lowered. Ordered a new $200.00 adjustable kickstand 3 months ago so the bike won't stand almost straight up.
I've checked around a bit and sometimes it's not clear whether the kickstands are for the 2012 Concours 14. Anyone know where I can get one?
Thanks!!!
Bob
Return Greetings Bob!.

I think you may have already received the best answer (from Ted), and I can't really help you as I've had no C14 side stand shortening experience. But Bob, other than a request for assistance your post doesn't make sense.
Perhaps if it was clearer someone could help you.

"Ordered" is past tense, and "3 months ago" reinforces that......so do you already have in you possession a shortened kickstand (aka side stand)?
...or did it never arrive?...or does it not work??? Where or whom did you order it from?

"sometimes it's not clear whether the kickstands are for the 2012 Concours 14" .....yeah...lot o crap out there with one generic photo and every bike known to man is listed, usually a piece of aluminum with a slot and a set screw. I would't get one of those. You'd be better off just ordering a stock side stand or used one off of fleabay and try to modify it if you don't want to try and mod the one you already have.

The only one I see online is Soupy's...I know nothing about them but I checked their website on scamadvisor and they got a pretty high score.
https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/soupysperformance.com

Last edited:
Must be pretty thin stuff...
The tubing of the side stand is fairly thin walled.
Even so, with a Propane Torch, it does take a bit of time/patience to get it red hot.
NOTE: A Propane Torch was suggested as anyone can get on at a hardware store. Most don't have acetylene.
Can be done on or off bike.

Being me;
I put the bike on the side stand, heated towards the inside edge of the Side stand only, and applied a bit of err "lean pressure" until it moved to the correct lean angle.

I heated the inside edge because the Inside edge of the side stand has to stretch, and the outside edge only bends; so most of the heat needs to be applied to the inside edge.

** If you do the Propane Torch with side stand on bike, have a fire extinguisher ready. (Just in case)

The first time I did one of these, I didn't have a propane torch so I "strategically" placed the side stand on my wife's kitchen stove.
The stove heated it pretty quickly, but some time is available for beer.
When I got it glowing red hot I ran to the vise and bent the stand.

If you attempt the stove method you need 4 people.
1 to carry the side stand and do the bend
1 to open the door.
1 to tighten the vise.
1 to look out for your wife...

I bought the $99 T-REX 06-20 ZX14/ 08-20 C14 adjustable kickstand over a year ago & have been happy with it. They show out of stock. Most likely any ZX14 adj kickstand will work?

Greetings! I had my Concours lowered.
How much did you lower it, front and rear?

I lowered my C14 front 0.6 inches (raised the forks); rear height left unchanged (got nice handling improvement and bit better flat footing). Use stock 190/50 series rear tire size, not the taller 190 / 55.

With my modest lowering, the stock side stand still has the bike leaning OK - ballpark 10 degrees lean using eye and protractor. This bike I mount / dismount stepping up on left footpeg before my leg goes over ...

I’m not exactly sure how far I lowered it. I was on tip toes and installed a set of used Muzzy lowering links & used aluminum stiletto kickstand from ebay. Later swapped out the aluminum kickstand for a T-REX steel one. Didn’t mess with the front yet since I can still get the bike up on the center stand, but it ain’t easy.
I can flat foot the bike w/29” inseam now. I have a place that i have to stop on a side hill, while making a u turn. I do have a 190/55 rear tire.

Use a Propane Torch to Heat your stock stand {near the bottom} and bend it out slightly.
Adjust the amount of bend to the amount of lean you want.
Problem solved.

NOTE: If you want better, bend the leg out slight and them bend the foot back in {until it sets flat}.
(It's more work, but do-able)

Ride safe, Ted
I concur with Connie Rider. I did the very same and it works great.

Lowering the bike WILL have an impact on the side "and" center stand.
The center stand can be shortened if you have access to a hacksaw and welder, but side stand does NOT need to be shortened.
You can simply heat it near the foot and bend it out slightly.
The increased side stand angle will allow the bike to lean over at the correct angle.

NOTE: For an inexpensive Lowering link, you can buy a stock Link from a ZX-600E and install it.
The 600E Link is identical to the Connie Link, but it is the length you need. (ie; It's slightly longer than a C-14 Link)

It lowers the bike about 1-1 1/2" , and costs only about $25.

Here is one I just found on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143730784399?hash=item217705b88f:g:voYAAOSwLOlfWpg7&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8G7G%2B5CuNARbp0S7tNSUVLxKF4rw8kA1%2FJFXdt%2Fp%2FiwjLcaU3RnaG%2BWy3RbbA7KM2ohN6hpL4Dh6ZVvL9V5JxaLNiCg3nM1l0%2Fa7kPXwR9cVTci5VpPDQ1jy%2FDfQGVjsSTHnNH54tkl6pK2nvzQs95g80z2x%2BoQPoiSoCChggjJXokzdkwEwzWh%2BDMxxmvCml8g0TJXIgy%2BUittCtsPFkZrCAqLClC9RU2CwgSG6d8HiX%2Beh8eUFbYbZ3cOCaHFQksn3FoQ2wWuXdoKDlrRbx8HNSQhCwyAOCbYLZTjl%2F4C%2BcP2jionrzDbOq9wsC8wJwg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM5NankMFh

You have my deepest sympathy...

I lowered mine years ago, I did not like the way it felt, so I went back to stock, it screwed up the ride... thump, thump

I lost my center stand 11 years ago, the only time I miss it is changing rear gear oil, I have someone hold the bike vertical;)