• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Grip Replacement Factory Heated models

Diablo6552

The grips on the new to me 2010 are fairly worn and I'd like to replace them. Of course this bike has the factory heated grips and I'm concerned about damaging the heating element. Are there any tips/tricks to changing these out, or is it a fairly straight-forward swap? I've also considered just adding Grip Puppies, but don't want to significantly reduce the heating of the grips. Thanks for your guidance.

I have grip puppies on my 14. They get plenty warm with them on. I've not swapped the grips, so I'm no help there.
I think that's probably what I'll do. I've got the thicker foam grips on my C10 and really like them. Plus my little projects like this end up costing me more in the long run....;)

The heating element is built into the stock grips, so changing grips means no heaters, or you have to find/buy heating elements to install under the new grips.
On mine, I found thin rubber sleeves (similar to grip puppies) that slide over the OEM's.
The sleeves I found are used for BMX bicycles but worked fine for my purposes.
ie; I wanted to increase the OD of the OEM's slightly.
Their thin enough that the OD doesn't increase much, and the heat flows thru them fine.

The issue is, the sleeves I bought are "very" hard to find. If interested, I'll try to find some for you.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Yeah, I first ordered Grip Puppies $ then someone on the site was selling the same things cheap, so I have a lifetime supply;)

If you do some searching on this site, you might find it,

When installing the new foam covers, spray cheap hair spray inside the new foam covers and on the factory grips

It makes it easy on, then when it dries, locks them in place

Here ya go

Been using Grab On grips for decades on other motorcycles I have driven. Can't beat them for grip and comfort. Its no wonder they have expanded that business too many other applications.

The heating element is built into the stock grips, so changing grips means no heaters, or you have to find/buy heating elements to install under the new grips.
On mine, I found thin rubber sleeves (similar to grip puppies) that slide over the OEM's.
The sleeves I found are used for BMX bicycles but worked fine for my purposes.
ie; I wanted to increase the OD of the OEM's slightly.
Their thin enough that the OD doesn't increase much, and the heat flows thru them fine.

The issue is, the sleeves I bought are "very" hard to find. If interested, I'll try to find some for you.

Ride safe, Ted
Im interested! I use the grip puppies in the summer but they are thicker than I would like.

Im interested! I use the grip puppies in the summer but they are thicker than I would like.
OK, promise not to laugh. Here they are.
I installed the black ones on my grips by heating in hot water and sliding them on.
Tight fit, but doable and not too large of diameter.

After looking at these again, and thinking about it, I may order a RED set....

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
OK, promise not to laugh. Here they are.
I installed the black ones on my grips by heating in hot water and sliding them on.
Tight fit, but doable and not too large of diameter.

After looking at these again, and thinking about it, I may order a RED set....

Ride safe, Ted
I know you are crazy about red Mr Ted, but that might look a bit funky. Speaking of funky, I think it might work if you put on a full length fur coat and your favorite pimp hat.šŸ¤£. Sorry Ted. I couldn't help myself!šŸ¤­

Ted...

images
All C14s have heated grips, the ones I've used are thin and the heated grips work fine.