• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GTR Ultra 2 LED H4 bulbs

I clicked on the link and laughed when I saw the price.  $239??? 

You can find excellent H4 LED lights on Amazon for $29...and that's two bulbs, not one.

Check out this thread over on the ST-Owners forum.  H4 LED - 2018 Evitek, F2 replaces G6

There's a member, Spiderman302, who has done a lot of research as you'll see by reading the 20 pages in the thread.  As you read through the thread, you'll see it covers two years of technology changes.  He goes into things like how thick the substrate is that holds the LED chips and how close that then mimics the placement of the filament on the halogen bulb.  Here's an example from one of the earlier pages.

Maybe I can explain the small differences. Go get some popcorn.....

First if you have the original H4 3800 with shields, the cyclops 7000, the G6, the DEDC, or the new F2 bulb they are all amazing and create DOT compliant beam patterns. This is due to the shield under the low beam. The shield works because the low beam is forward of the focus point. The high beam is closest to the focus point.  BUT...

To help understand, get your old mag light and focus the beam to a point. Now, slightly defocus the beam and it will be bigger dot. defocus it more and it becomes a donut with a dark spot in the middle. It only took a very small offset to change this pattern...  Lets look under the microscope.

If you measure the distance between the back to back emitters on the 7000 or 3800 they are offset by 0.235 inches. It uses two copper plates on a thick AL heatspreader. Remember the donut.  These bulbs have the dark spot in the middle of the high beam.....

View attachment 190210

The G6 reduced this distance to 0.175 inches. It uses two plates on a thin heatspreader.  This one is like the wider spot with no hole.

View attachment 190211

The DEDC reduced it more to 0.078 inches. It uses two plates sandwiched between two heatspreaders. This one is a more narrow spot.

View attachment 190212

The F2 reduced it to 0.037 inches.  It uses ONE plate sandwiched between two heatspreaders.  Oh wait..

The Halogen bulb filament is a coil of wire that is 0.068 inches in diameter!!!!

The F2 led emitters are now EXACTLY where the surface of the H4 Halogen filament is !!!

They are the same length of the coil 0.225 inches and are 0.068 wide.

Optically the F2 is the same as the Halogen bulb !!!  Except it is way brighter.

It is all about the focus.  Now you know.

Time to go for a ride........

He makes some specific recommendations on H4 LED bulbs to buy.  I find his work helpful because he isn't looking at price so much as how well they will replace a halogen bulb.  There are a lot of H4 LED bulbs on the market.  Some are older technology and would give you the light pattern he speaks about above with the donut hole dark spot in the middle.  Others are newer and more precisely made and will duplicate the light pattern of the H4 halogen bulb your reflector is made for.  I can't easily tell the difference...but he's done the homework for you.

Chris

Daboo said:
I clicked on the link and laughed when I saw the price.  $239??? 

You can find excellent H4 LED lights on Amazon for $29...and that's two bulbs, not one.

Check out this thread over on the ST-Owners forum.  https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/h4-led-2018-evitek-f2-replaces-g6.162067/page-20#post-2190975

There's a member, Spiderman302, who has done a lot of research as you'll see by reading the 20 pages in the thread.  As you read through the thread, you'll see it covers two years of technology changes.  He goes into things like how thick the substrate is that holds the LED chips and how close that then mimics the placement of the filament on the halogen bulb.  Here's an example from one of the earlier pages.

He makes some specific recommendations on H4 LED bulbs to buy.  I find his work helpful because he isn't looking at price so much as how well they will replace a halogen bulb.  There are a lot of H4 LED bulbs on the market.  Some are older technology and would give you the light pattern he speaks about above with the donut hole dark spot in the middle.  Others are newer and more precisely made and will duplicate the light pattern of the H4 halogen bulb your reflector is made for.  I can't easily tell the difference...but he's done the homework for you.

Chris

To be fair, that $240 is for two bulbs, and everything you need for them, not just one.

Thank you for pointing to the guy who does the testing. I do find that interesting for sure. That is sort of exactly why these new GTR Ultra 2 bulbs have caught my attention (regardless of cost). These are not "off the shelf" LEDs that are stuffed into a housing. There were purpose built for a headlight bulb housing (h4, etc).

That's exactly what makes these a point of interest. They are able to overcome the limiting factors of, essentially all, current LED offerings because they built these from the ground up specifically for that purpose.

Watch this vid and you can see some distinct differences between this bulb, some other popular LED offerings and some popular HID options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygPiFvCth3U

At @ $25 a bulb, I figure I can take a chance.  If they don't work, I'm not out much money.  But from the feedback on the ST-Owners forum, they do work and work exceptionally well.

Here's a thought...try the cheaper bulb.  If it works for you, you've saved a lot of money and can pass the info on to others.  If it doesn't, let everyone know and then buy the $240 bulb.

Last thought...I'm not sold on the belief that if I pay more money, I get a better product.  I bought ADVMonster Model 30 aux lights for $40 a piece and used those on two different bikes.  Everyone on the NT-Owners forum said the Denali lights were far superior.  So another member and I found a dark parking lot and took pictures with a camera that allowed us to keep the settings the same for both bike's lights.  The cheaper ADVMonster lights blew the far more expensive Denali lights away.  It wasn't even close.

Chris

Daboo said:
I know he says they are custom made for a vehicle application...but those chips look identical to many on the market.  As I used to tell my mother when she wanted to buy some new program for her computer, the marketing folks get paid to make you buy what you don't necessarily need.

I've used Cyclops LED bulbs for years now; they are supposed to be a premium quality bulb.  The LED lifetime that is referenced by everyone is what you might get in a lab environment.  And besides, have you ever thought of how long 20,000 to 50,000 hours is?  Even in a lab...who has tested them for that amount of time?

At @ $25 a bulb, I figure I can take a chance.  If they don't work, I'm not out much money.  But from the feedback on the ST-Owners forum, they do work and work exceptionally well.

Here's a thought...try the cheaper bulb.  If it works for you, you've saved a lot of money and can pass the info on to others.  If it doesn't, let everyone know and then buy the $240 bulb.

Last thought...I'm not sold on the belief that if I pay more money, I get a better product.  I bought ADVMonster Model 30 aux lights for $40 a piece and used those on two different bikes.  Everyone on the NT-Owners forum said the Denali lights were far superior.  So another member and I found a dark parking lot and took pictures with a camera that allowed us to keep the settings the same for both bike's lights.  The cheaper ADVMonster lights blew the far more expensive Denali lights away.  It wasn't even close.

Chris

Those are all fair points, and I agree with a lot of it. I too am not convinced that more $$ always means a better product. That said, in my experience, there is a window in which you will usually find the best value and it's not at the cheapest or most expensive option.

I do have significant concerns about lifespan on a $240 pair of bulbs. anything but a long term failure could easily offset the benefits.

I think my biggest problem with buying a $25 set is that, as you have pointed out, lots of people have used lower end LED bulbs and those people have already pointed out the problems and limitations.

Perhaps these new ones are indeed an actual advance in technology. In the second video I showed you, there are frames with side by side comparisons of sever of the beam/flood patterns.

I dunno. I just was hoping someone had already tried them. I'd rather let a pioneer take the arrow.Then again, no guts no glory. ;)

Rob said:
...I think my biggest problem with buying a $25 set is that, as you have pointed out, lots of people have used lower end LED bulbs and those people have already pointed out the problems and limitations.
Actually, on the less expensive sets, the folks who ride ST-1300s are finding they like the lights.  If you go through the thread, you'll see where Spiderman302 has taken pictures comparing light output under the same situation for competing bulbs.  That's why I'm impressed with the research and testing Spiderman302 has done.  He doesn't just take a picture of the front of the bike, but he takes a picture of the wall to show what the light output looks like.  Everyone knows the front of the bike with the headlights will look bright.  But what is the light pattern like...and he shows you.

Chris

Good Post Daboo.
I just me-too'd on another LED post here yesterday, as I'm now looking for a replacement for my current Amazon set, that I paid a bit too much for.....lasted 2.5 years, but fell FAR short of the 50,000 promised hours lifespan.  ::)

I typically am a "you get what you pay for" kind of shopper, and unlike you - I bought into the Denali's vs. the ADVmonster's.  I have my reason, but mostly I wanted the support, service, warranty, and full wiring integration that Denali offered vs. ADVm. 

For LED headlamp bulbs.....I have YET to see ANY brand or manufacturer stand out amongst the herd, for longevity, cut-off, brightness, or quality.  Ive seen that dude that Rob refers to, and I think he's done an admirable job of differentiating himself amongst the crowd -- but he's hawking his OWN wares, and that makes him biased.
I'm gonna look at that ST-thread, and probably choose one of the better Amazon alternatives.
I used to buy PIAAs, back in the day, and they NEVER lasted more than a year.  Same thing here.....nobody is REALLY proving that their product is worth a premium -- YET.

Good info, good discussion.  :great:

gr

I'm curious about this "lifetime warranty" they have listed.

They do not have a hours lifespan listed. It does say "last LED headlight bulbs you'll ever need!", which is a pretty bold statement.

I can't imagine that that they would replace the bulbs for free, for life, but that is the insinuation.

ETA**  The site says this: "Best Warranty: You can hit the road knowing that you’ll be backed with a lifetime warranty from here on out. If in the rare case something goes wrong, GTR Lighting will replace the product quickly."

Rob said:
I'm curious about this "lifetime warranty" they have listed.

They do not have a hours lifespan listed. It does say "last LED headlight bulbs you'll ever need!", which is a pretty bold statement.

I can't imagine that that they would replace the bulbs for free, for life, but that is the insinuation.

ETA**  The site says this: "Best Warranty: You can hit the road knowing that you’ll be backed with a lifetime warranty from here on out. If in the rare case something goes wrong, GTR Lighting will replace the product quickly."
I saw that "Lifetime Warranty" also.  I have to wonder about it; they do have in the fine print that they can change the terms of the warranty at any time.  And let's face it, most motorcycle owners, don't ride their bikes more than a couple thousand miles at best in a year.  I'm the owner you don't want to sell those bulbs to.  I put on 15,000 miles last year, which means those light bulbs would get a lot of hours on them.

To their benefit, they are charging you five times more than any of those three light sets I provided the links to above.  They can afford to suck up the cost for riders like me that actually might need a replacement.

Chris

ghostrider990 said:

For LED headlamp bulbs.....I have YET to see ANY brand or manufacturer stand out amongst the herd, for longevity, cut-off, brightness, or quality.  Ive seen that dude that Rob refers to, and I think he's done an admirable job of differentiating himself amongst the crowd -- but he's hawking his OWN wares, and that makes him biased.
I'm gonna look at that ST-thread, and probably choose one of the better Amazon alternatives...
One of the things you'll find in the ST-Owners thread is that many of the bulbs are made by a company called Evitek...and rebranded under a different name for sale. 

I plan to check in on the ST-Owners thread again if (when) I need to replace my LED bulbs to see what the latest and greatest is.  Evitek has put out a couple different models so far.  What will be the latest when I'm ready to buy. 

I'm also a little concerned about the constant increase of lumens or brightness.  Two things bother me.  First the obvious brightness and the effect my headlight might make to an oncoming driver.  We've all felt like we saw the sun as a car came towards us and we couldn't see anything else till it passed.  The other is that a benefit of an LED headlight, is the lower electrical consumption.  As the brightness increases, the electrical draw does too.  At some point, the advantage is gone.

Chris

For $239/pair they should work in both my Forester and Connie - and be able to automatically remove and install themselves each time I drive one or the other. :)

Rob said:
Ya'll are some cheap a** mofos..  :nananana:

it has been my experience that this forum THRIVES on cheap and frugal.

Not that there's anything wrong with saving money.

But it was the guy who said he used Hot Water pipe Insulation instead of buying a set of $20 grip puppies, that REALLY made me realize how utterly proud some guys are to pinch a few pennies.  :-[

gr

Why didnt I think of that!

ghostrider990 said:
Rob said:
Ya'll are some cheap a** mofos..  :nananana:

it has been my experience that this forum THRIVES on cheap and frugal.

Not that there's anything wrong with saving money.

But it was the guy who said he used Hot Water pipe Insulation instead of buying a set of $20 grip puppies, that REALLY made me realize how utterly proud some guys are to pinch a few pennies.  :-[

gr

I got tired of not being able to see the road at night in my Subaru Outback.  What I've noticed is that the gray roads turn black at night when it rains, and the black pavement soaks up every bit of light that lands on it.  So I ended up buying the Aukee H7 LED Headlight Bulbs, 50W 6000K 10000 Lumens Extremely Bright CSP Chips Conversion Kit  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FRC77GX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  They cost $29 for two bulbs.  That's about the cost of a halogen bulb.

I opened the package up and looked through it a couple times.  Something was missing.  On my Cyclops LED bulbs that I have in my GT, there is this big ballast or whatever that I had to find a place for.  It was not insignificant in size; about like a half inch thick stack of business cards.  It wasn't there on these Aukee bulbs.  Just a thin thing about like a small breakfast sausage.  Wow!  Impressive!

The bulbs went in fine.  The lights didn't need any adjustment at all.  The light cutoff seems identical.

Before the install with the halogen bulbs.

BKRvIn_-pfIUKJIenSuMmNBJhzRXmlJnMiKGcovV1XKgb3GYNefjgp4EIy7dMnnq0zYZ7iD0kmPRKGRQEBv1tilwwPyBp3ibNnlUWqoSisKKEOEhQ_N0ecLXvik4aYWYsipzmEkKJdotL_bqQK6_8lhGE1SjCgzwf3-OHAujl0ezLB-R_xSQFSwaDBcT6Yn8k5yYs21MKZi0Tl7Cwo_p0BxSyKlrHggjqldwJMFVmlOVrYY2Od8rvHqq_1jNs6UH5qgQb2jph05uPK2J61Jr-FLZs986HB4_aJmPaYh7YoAPoBxWXLzu9Azej4awJprQ8-EdUQGyhvsZDasQWifRU9QxR5jmD3jUYMWPzMgQfKK1pGG9s4NA1PgRBwEO5_aD3jOV-vyLRuPiAg2j_xtuxGt8TA1x5DZAQSQg2P9embUCgBOfR4pfUORCKCV-RZuMqvIwvOuJBdcDXIiNbmSofxD4jnfF_QWzhh-iNzkhmaaHUh-6ZcuAoyHmgUd5hfMR53k1gSNt8wFS_tf-pBXl7awsAUvQdB1LeC6ilsxP4HJjtHBVKZhRY75wcrmAiacTqKSFzKashbPc2WheKkrTV1ncXkezA38zsR98lvZtRK8AXmd9qo_TDFY1-EMKHSVJDQJmdsAd9mIUatHlFiYEGmY4-K3ponMCyzVQskTQJxNhEk7Sg7u0dMIUQnHxxoN0ZA6P6egC205HV5Elpmgkl0EZHW34-oKSmVNE9nqxH3z5SoNd3w=w1780-h1001-no

One side changed.

zNky8GccBYuOHUx1fDpdooqODAiDBA_obwQqzym-98a1m4d-882Szxk_L0a0hvOPOO2MsSU7YzvL6pk4lsrhQQ61uVCW5_OcJBgl9QRmcsnQMLERkx5qWLP-ZAHIAaLqc5BzYGhVaHYYV6o7VsAHDeSf36dl1GITxDxxFuEA-AyTfk0d8b9NNahYG961mMJQIzrSu9xyk9XaE7y5g-AOB-DFiLZc3zjD7kdKqvWhGL7BkXOve09bC6igpX0Qqx2HQ1y5TyBrsePcCLc-PqvG3NNibMfR82d_9iBOpSl-r6xzJfmxFzfyHWDqNn4k6o34ZLY23_qT3Csqq8VmWy6_RINdR_MFLt7OxBoD00KMsFmK25uFPglY8ANHjTafAAFVy_Cw6AnugmEASZG-8fb7ZIZo9s8aeSkxCTaJ3kHCaquGLbgspixe_KeEFkbBYL8dx26xlZR6m9OLcYSY9_aoQJu5Yieg0M4b7n9w0B6y4ubQqeoOggLW0RIZVbKx24QmAqKKiS4gWlnNRs28VN_BNy-bt4_qULUScDRdWFgZo0onJmdqayUsMwz-fd3Yls_qxfljIrBnQLz3ZxUWASLG62OwRPlrFnNW_tkiYzzX1LEACQBTAvWmkUQx2SwXG3XieODNNLXiYFWNPTStHDK0PLQqTg2S-vW72OlHMSbuvqb9rtoezQtmdrGu1OQ9PYGsOFZefi8KDjzVvPJshlZax8cNGrVIEGSpB0oIqRP5SSD2uQ2uew=w1780-h1001-no

Finished.  The bulb can be rotated once installed to place the LED chips in the 3 and 9 o'clock position, which is why the light pattern looks different in the lower picture than in the picture above.

USaTkRmLLX1837RxwNujgynj6uVNAcNZGLRJ-XeVKKhDZHoyy5m7iwaqKWJpxhsSTiJfo_8IGzgzKig7hV4QfAiECAh7IOW8RKzqTrTfRGn-GXVDBbhDBcw5HAyA23cssA9cj3GndLRYNSYlqCQoDoCUymMa9o42SdXMxwijTtxwgCchPRIFNONQCJxVGfYbZP63gl6iBUlHj9OQaWIiBqzqsN_SxUkPD_un7O8z5JkKLfXMlLvB71I2OBeQjN9DTXl_lKfqp4akHIQfn6GJbybg1hBwjm7No_RW9cNmYPXZk86FACaGYXu9njK1zIqRE8eDJfUrMC5mPzj2hI2yF9SQS3vXWJMvvnEb2FcI-x2bzjS8UvK0pxK_GaND1qgzj9-3wKYr4vp0pes89QLWpVdvTFguYdh_fjs3yakPaYmRjKi5VGvBE0Z0hm8ID4ADCtAyKsKniiX_-ik1sKcvGCPWbMB7I-pSJlh9qjONBJK0MJf8Xk7X8fkM9JA5ITcm9phQZJxgfDUKcSvtj9LgUbIeg28Sj0YZGBk1wQW1dmW3Acf_j52sI9siPNOI8Vh00qPprzw9PpQObZxBaeyyRBSd_RXg6JlaYE_8RNgK0kCL4u0fbivA_0R8PYj9_J-RbNIPGs9kgHSm9knr8jbLaM1Y4SjaUmhNRflhnse1AjMj4eoJyjQQkY02rbEPiBsBHQMwt8_P3T5wDksY-Yr4SpsxdCAMTKbz6VtrvU_x7_blgCfZWw=w1780-h1001-no

BTW, the dark triangle in the middle of the left light's bright spot is an imperfection in the concrete wall I was pointing them to.

In comparison to the Cyclops bulbs,

• The cost is dramatically less at $15 each vs $65 each.
  • The ballast is far smaller, so there's less to tuck away in tight places.  This ballast would easily fit inside the light housing on my GT.
  • The cooling fan is half the size.
So my wife's 2016 Toyota Prius has LED headlights.  They are fantastic.  They don't quite turn the night into day, but they seemed to in comparison to my Subaru's lights.  So I got the idea to do some comparison shots where I could keep the camera settings identical and thereby make a valid apples to apples comparison.

Here's the two sets of lights side by side against my garage door.

Fd6zc969vK-5KAd6qXFWQE7vREFsi4zZj9c5203KZw-j9saLoD8g8FoKNI8zendF5nEuq1nqhbR0wRutS0SzdzNLrpgMe8nzc_04STIMZmnUMe6iIg_cDlZVLNOs6cTOieIQ-JKGvJCSwS8DDn5dxm-CfA_AaJXnVw-r9BkzNrFIOcG1Mo5gsHx3fZGTM57pgwpYiUxIsnVZcB4zPw0ubo5qVTBXJ5MqlaHhSY72XLusV2XZGxvJMiXhvbJ0FAe9bbo-7ZjtP_xIdR4cd3p95k0z95_YvLoSmUqTZEz7MsCSuDTbv8BVch-ME8l9OztSECoGYiNkV27ejHOzgIQRnpUwSe8B34ixfq-wPRs5j3KYKFcE7K7jofZSewRZ2W0JermWB3qMN_r3HoULdf01bZvrJ-5sV1aHVPZ9eM73Ub9BRtOd5reGnp6Pf6y-5BTQ68gZMrdVLymCQQ9otFy7QGyZJ-qsab2W2GUQx5WC1G_3e3BatM4WeyCsLOzW248MlmSO43_uYXprAWz2RjY-Ij35YgyZAdYysnPoUtzzLLKpiWGmiNjneEeMW9CK0S2FjER9B9vewiTZL4UzSz8F2DA2dhmNQoUfgWr-RX095VkXCGqWT4pA2umZBjb2AAKDZlafFkjLGPK5YbHwYHA-q92XjV4RKzh97KDCaqsYNoUedvqcRhk06-JgyXeOIVV5-xwRGwm3SwZymsHN642jYY5RCfsgDQS44yPraxZzmQaver3kxw=w1853-h1042-no

There's a definite brighter hot spot in the Prius' lights that isn't there on the Aukee lights.

Outback with Aukee bulbs
5ixdsOh4oiHyZTqsfeqoUJqqlXDg9Xyob6o8IpWqMiD7Wqjh92LhpQqWvtJPRn0zfz2ooImy-5suseZfrRpr33YNxO7_ZxdKRWXOiqlIXVzEGQ10dCjDqUh6ixR0bVRjL5BXL8jvBT7XZyA3DzNFh0-Jr-AbYy-kIfDNeSHAJ0p1h02LNOXr78_SMJSho40aemNaR7OfGaLTWia3ChoAogbbUdgBFTh-wcUi46HInB0r4Yt1zGqi5NdIAlcuiLxYDG_jLTrAx5nF-9uhUCPI9x52eY2PkLNM-1QDHfqNlqf1UfZOOXGzzYWqg7UUqTlE5OIWzYZKfVYnOduZrni4ROd9J2W9R_Y50qLXRCV2zreUF6KNO02O4Qa7kKaPHrOSFtCrlOzkBqkBLDB22Kpk4b8fL2Tj4rXv7Nm5vTv3XQfomRJVvZCn4eWgU_zTJqEJ9MYvq9yKGS8wvMshK_HCFWiW1-EGkGT6V5sBhsiUIpcqQmpW-Ng5AyBVvE8dK9AGvJHptY7Ai-wM0AQiOhwN-O8Skzic8oYYh-Nr9uLp9PJk_PWXy2TpjnLQzDYH1lXL5jd0jOYaOGuaWjJy6EidvNySToo8FSo8OKXm7JrjFSVJBggTVl312ookBaSoC0n7QmYFO319H_yz0xaTYC0G5PF79hCQ25DD-NugwkdjhOy8FnuqAxsnj404fXkVojISkPxFo1MjBjcB5EW2N9djHOoI4wYsr1jMyoUWrHSVWMJlmVxjMQ=w1853-h1042-no

Toyota Prius with factory LED lights
VQTVsQ98vIOoKgtvyniy9pGw-SEDbAK22XuF2BzeZBq4053kl4O_4RKES1jZsFoZfUo93NwCzzO0RKSqeibVeXe1rzEdlI0A1jW6S9qUlKMQN0UvdT-TvrlUrKx7WSb4zZIAzbc2cvNYbJabhpF_dShIw952RrERd8GZJ34DDpLDN-4Gs7OZFKp9cRQQ7-iDxRAvykqgOgk6yxuRfMZaZQ9f_bVJ--wD79q1A3tvhgiqQYbvaEH63eFjUQWh-zxrOdLEZgdkYzk1LfM8nJ3XVg-_BbVCLA5sDvl3WypwTYAOIvIbbGpXCt0ChkKayNtGh9e6kNZ9dD0OpV8-yu94SCjPRU_D0-tAAh2s1arE1T2XftR9oJ2n6PMlM99OtIaL_u453ytRjtsQSjBD07tENK12L1n1L6rmmyUkggjiaNk8catkcioHCydNU7pw8CgfmciOdUCdy9F3EPjV3u5W5t2lXvT9ECDkwbkw9j4wBUXrsYQgqbP7XEnp3AkfasgaGI-Zj-L6c3_ocgVS28PFhvgj8CmWU3YWQo70lUpM0VUQ1ThnsuuCuW6qFDYxZNwWiSSgq6uGLmgL77WkxO6SpZ7840Xxgpv_DBrgmAJMcdKq29tZuBTYgnpPMxoyze5mVbWQG0sfCk2GUHo2B3ki-pIabiHRP3eMZiB-BSx9TwoLS5_OIWYDCMDxMXggE6aKm09AO_nWlne4cKEY7ESggtvFbRWcnvuSwx-ISagySvpFQ5_Exg=w1853-h1042-no

I'd say the Toyota's are brighter, but I like what I'm seeing with the Aukee lights.  And while the lights were not installed in a Concours, I think the general idea transfers to our application here.

If these last, I'll be one happy camper.  Again, thank you.

Chris

Thanks Chris!  :beerchug:

Check those pics of the Prius....they're not showing up.

Man, that price is RIGHT.  You almost can't go wrong!  :-\

gr

Though I see the benefit for the driver, or rider, I really hate these when oncoming vehicles have them. I drive a lot at night, I just did a 760 mile night drive a day and a half ago. Anytime I saw lights like these coming towards me, I was blinded. I truly believe it is better to have slightly dimmer lights, and retain your fight vision. If the low beam was dimmer, I could understand them, you could at least dim them for oncoming vehicles. As they are, I think they make matters worse for other drivers.

I feel the same for the overly bright emergency lights now on police cars and emergency vehicles. You are so blinded, you cannot see the people who may be attending to an accident, or walking to a stopped car.

I'm a firm believer in LEDs. We have the Eviteks on both our bikes, and in a previous post (about 2 years ago) I described how I think they saved me from a deer strike. I still bumped the deer, but going about 10 MPH, instead of at the 45-55 MPH if I hadn't see it as quickly because of the color balance.  It appears that Eviteks are no longer available, at least I have not seen them.
The low-beam pattern on the C14 is not exactly like with the H4, but very close and not blinding to oncoming drivers.
BTW Daboo, both cars may need the lights lowered slightly  ;)
The cut-off should be on the road, just short of the vehicle at the end of the lane. Of course, road slope can affect that, to they may be just fine only are high because of the road.

I recently bought LED for our 2015 Prius (they are 20W each). The low beams on the car are were anemic. I attached a photo against the neadby school's wall comparing the two on low-beam (Which I think is the more critical pattern). We are thrilled by the improvement!  All four bulbs were $56 on Amazon, and the link is below. Of course, H4 (or any dual beam bulb) are trickier, but I've looked at their H4 bulbs, and I like what I saw.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H11-9005-LED-Headlight-Bulb-Kit-Fit-CHEVROLET-TRAVERSE-2009-2012-White-6000K-DOT/192936621323?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I now have a set for out 2007 Accord, and will like order some for our Suburban and our motorhome.

Attachments

• Headlight Comparison 55W Halogen-20W LEDs.JPG
    Headlight Comparison 55W Halogen-20W LEDs.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 153
Jorge said:
...BTW Daboo, both cars may need the lights lowered slightly  ;)
The cut-off should be on the road, just short of the vehicle at the end of the lane. Of course, road slope can affect that, to they may be just fine only are high because of the road...
Nowhere on that road or driveway is level.

Chris

hi guys,

I bought a pair of these:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32985557495.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dOPrx0D

Noticably brighter than the halogen. The light distribution is quite ok, with a nice sharp cut-off for the dimmed beam.
The big advantage is that these bulbs go into the reflector completely, including its cooling fan! So no exterior ballasts or anything, the rubber headlight seals from my conny still fit.

I also bought a cheaper version of these lights for my one of my cars. They are ok, but they are not as good; the light distribution is worse and the fans make a noticable sound..
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33004682085.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dOPrx0D

Rob, we see LED bulbs come and go. Each one is brighter/better.

I'll agree that we're Cheap Mo-fo's err frugal.
      But we've learned that you need to shop before buying into the hype..
        {I suspect your  GTR Ultra 2 LED H4 bulbs are a lot of hype and are not worth the extra $200}.
      Bottom line; Are you going to get $200 better lighting than another {less expensive} brand?

I'll start with, the ultimate brightness is not as important as the combination of the brightness and the "shape" of the beam.
ie; Super brightness without a cutoff at the top, just blinds oncoming drivers..

When I bought my LED's another member was talking about how great the Pathfinders were.
I liked what I saw, these had a brightness and shape that I felt was what I wanted.
So, I started to buy a set. But, couldn't find the Pathfinders.
So I did some shopping... 
Very quickly I {think} I found the exact same set for 1/4 the price...
Read below;

When I ordered; I tried, but was unable to find the Pathfinders that another member originally posted. Plus I'm tight...
So I ordered the Beamtechs.  I think they are the same light with different names on them?

Compare the images and tell me if I am wrong?

Here is the other members image.. {$110}

http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/led-h4-bulb-pathfinder/msg652735/#msg652735
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/led-h4-bulb-pathfinder/msg652962/#msg652962

Here are the Beamtechs I ordered. {$31}
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-LED-Headlight-Bulbs-HB2-PHILIPS-CSP-Kit-Light-Bulb-High-Low-Beam-8000LM-6500K/292121107958?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Dc067df3ce12d453f9b020ae80cc9b78c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D182504767509%26itm%3D292121107958&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Final Note: I'm not saying the Beamtechs I bought are the best.
I'm just saying; The GTR Ultra 2 LED H4 bulbs are not $200 better...

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Rob, we see LED bulbs come and go. Each one is brighter/better.

I'll agree that we're Cheap Mo-fo's err frugal.
      But we've learned that you need to shop before buying into the hype..
        {I suspect your  GTR Ultra 2 LED H4 bulbs are a lot of hype and are not worth the extra $200}.
      Bottom line; Are you going to get $200 better lighting than another {less expensive} brand?

I'll start with, the ultimate brightness is not as important as the combination of the brightness and the "shape" of the beam.
ie; Super brightness without a cutoff at the top, just blinds oncoming drivers..

When I bought my LED's another member was talking about how great the Pathfinders were.
I liked what I saw, these had a brightness and shape that I felt was what I wanted.
So, I started to buy a set. But, couldn't find the Pathfinders.
So I did some shopping... 
Very quickly I {think} I found the exact same set for 1/4 the price...
Read below;

When I ordered; I tried, but was unable to find the Pathfinders that another member originally posted. Plus I'm tight...
So I ordered the Beamtechs.  I think they are the same light with different names on them?

Compare the images and tell me if I am wrong?

Here is the other members image.. {$110}

http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/led-h4-bulb-pathfinder/msg652735/#msg652735
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/led-h4-bulb-pathfinder/msg652962/#msg652962

Here are the Beamtechs I ordered. {$31}
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-LED-Headlight-Bulbs-HB2-PHILIPS-CSP-Kit-Light-Bulb-High-Low-Beam-8000LM-6500K/292121107958?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Dc067df3ce12d453f9b020ae80cc9b78c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D182504767509%26itm%3D292121107958&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Final Note: I'm not saying the Beamtechs I bought are the best.
I'm just saying; The GTR Ultra 2 LED H4 bulbs are not $200 better...

Ride safe, Ted

I have the Beamtechs in my  Concours and my Ryker  and they are fantastic. I bought mine off of Amazon I think for around $40 a pair. No complaints.

I installed a pair of the GTR Ultra Series LEDs last November before putting the bike away for the winter.  The install went very well although one of the bulbs was a bit tight to rotate into position.  The light output is great and the cutoff seems very good.  For the first time in a long time the color of all the lights on the bike actually match (GTR Ultra headlights, Denali D2 driving lights and PIAA T10-168 city lights).  The "lifetime" warranty also caught my eye.  Of course we shall see!