• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

H4 LED replacement question

tdbru

Have the LED H4 headlight bulbs made enough advancements that they are a direct replacement for our C10 headlight bulbs yet? anyone have good luck with a particular one?
thanks,
-tdbru

I just replaced the stock with a Beamtech. It was plug and play and seems to work well.

I've used he Beamtechs on at least 4 different bikes, great bulbs.

Before going to Beamtech, I tried another brand. Light was bright but blinded oncoming traffic badly as it had no cut off at the top of the light pattern.
The Beamtech solved the problem.

I didn't realize they still made them. Will order one for my C-10.

Ride safe, Ted

I've had mine in the bike for about 3 years. Others for longer..
Oh, and do they put out as much (or more) light than a normal H4 9003?
thanks,

Yes.
I think that the beam is not so much brighter as whiter. The whiter light makes things show up better. (more contrast)
Look at the various adds. The adds all demonstrate the difference.
The beam on mine was also higher (which makes it reach farther).
I had to adjust the beams down after the installation as they were too high (and on low beam) the area directly in front of the bike wasn't illuminated. The adjustment is EZ to do.

Look at the Beamtech add again. On the outer LED you will see a small plate. That plate is what adds a cut off area to the top of the beam.
(To me) Having that cut off is pretty important as it doesn't blind oncoming drivers.
The first LED's I tried, did not have that plate.
The lights that TJK posted also have the plate. His also have small motors for cooling the lights.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Those using Beamtech or other aftermarket LEDs. What did you do with the rubber light cover on the rear of the headlight? I tried trimming mine but haven't gotten it to fit well enough to stay in place.

Thanks!

The Auxito that was posted would install like a conventional light, so no issue with the rubber cover.
The Beamtech (and others) have a removable locking ring. (Remove the ring, install light thru rubber cover, re-install ring)

Last edited:
Those using Beamtech or other aftermarket LEDs. What did you do with the rubber light cover on the rear of the headlight? I tried trimming mine but haven't gotten it to fit well enough to stay in place.

Thanks!
No changes were necessary with the Auxito bulbs, the rubber cover went right back on.

Ted,
I just put in one of those BeamTech. They have a big heatsink on the back. The rubber boot would NOT fit over the heatsink. Any issue with leaving the rubber boot off? the BeamTech units look like they are water sealed.
-tdbru

Ted,
I just put in one of those BeamTech. They have a big heatsink on the back. The rubber boot would NOT fit over the heatsink. Any issue with leaving the rubber boot off? the BeamTech units look like they are water sealed.
-tdbru

They separate.

The H4 base comes off the bulb/heatsink ass'y with a 1/4 turn twist. Separate the two, put the H4 mount into the back of the reflector, latch in place with the clip, intall the boot. Now, insert the bulb/heatsing ass'y into the base, twist 1/4 turn in the opposit direction (CW) until you feel it do a "soft snap" into place. Make your socket connection, and you should be good to go with the exception of maybe having to align the beam.

beamtech-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Ted,
Not with the BeamTech. Mine are quite different. there's a tiny allen screw that seems to hold the h4 base and heatsink together. I unscrewed that. the heatsink would separate from the h4 housing, but, what protruded out of the h4 housing was not a 3 prong plug but a circuit board with 3 wires soldered to the board. these wires were encased in a sheath that went through a sealing rubber plug that is in the back of the heat sink housing. the wire sheath that comes out of the back of the heat sink has a few inches of length before ending in the male h4 plug. So I don't see any way to use the rubber boot with these let bulbs. there is a rubber O ring between the heat sink and the h4 housing, and like i mentioned the plug pigtail that comes out the back of the heatsink has a sealing plug around it. So up to the h4 mounting face, it appears to be pretty water tight. would there be any issues about leaving the boot off with respect to water getting past the h4 mounting face into the bulb chamber?
thanks,
-tdbru

Yep, dummy me. 1/4 turn just like you said.

Still looks, though, like i'm going to have to trim the rubber boot a little. Did you have to do that Ted?

thanks,
-tdbru

Yep, dummy me. 1/4 turn just like you said.

Still looks, though, like i'm going to have to trim the rubber boot a little. Did you have to do that Ted?

thanks,
-tdbru

Think yiu're getting Ted and I confused. I'm not Ted, and don't play one on TV - thank gawd. :rolleyes:

But no, I (gbyoung2) did not have to trim the boot for the Beamtech. Did with the CYCLOPS 10K (which I removed after one, short, night ride), but not the BeamTech.

In all seriousness, I think that's what Ted was describing about the removeable locking ring. Guess the pix just made it a little bit clearer.

Hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
Sorry Guy, yes i was getting things mixed up.

my headlight boot has 3 holes for the 3 prongs to go through. Did you just push the beamtech led one of the holes?

thanks,
-tdbru

Sorry Guy, yes i was getting things mixed up.

my headlight boot has 3 holes for the 3 prongs to go through. Did you just push the beamtech led one of the holes?

thanks,
-tdbru

Yeah, you do need to trim out the center portion to eliminate the contact holes in the boot. Did forget about that. Apologies for the omission. Been a few years since I messed with the bulb switch.

Last edited:
Thanks Guy, the photos and discussion are invaluable help.

since you've had the beamtechs in for a few years, how do you like them? I have put LEDs in all other sockets save the headlight. Now it will have LEDs. I like the lower current draw, and brighter light output. I'm expecting that to carry over to the headlight as well.
thanks!
-tdbru

just got it installed. I will see tomorrow AM how well I like it. thanks for all the help.
-tdbru

Thanks Guy, the photos and discussion are invaluable help.

since you've had the beamtechs in for a few years, how do you like them? I have put LEDs in all other sockets save the headlight. Now it will have LEDs. I like the lower current draw, and brighter light output. I'm expecting that to carry over to the headlight as well.
thanks!
-tdbru

Presently, my Connie has an incandescent 80/100w bulb installed. I tried two different H4 LED headlamp bulbs, and they were both pitiful. One was so bad I had to have a fellow lead the way back close to my home one night after a bike night out at a Mission BBQ a few years ago. I put my 80/100w bulb back in until I found the Beamtech. It worked great and one of the reasons I took it out was to try it in my KLR which is energy deficient to begin with. It saved a lot of current draw on the system. I’ve changed all the bulbs out on that bike, save for the turn signal indicator and instrument lamps. The Beamtech does an excellent job lighting the way, and leaves plenty of power for the heated grips and my Gerbings heated jacket.

The second reason I have left the 80/100watt bulb in place is because I swapped out the OEM alternator for a 45amp version from a ZZR1200. That one has plenty of grunt for the headlamp, the heated grips, and my Gerbings jacket. All the other bulbs have been swapped out to LEDs, as have the ones in my Cyclemate trailer I occasionally tow behind the bike. When the 80/100w bulb takes a poo, the second Beamtech that came in the box will be put in to replace it.

Kinda funny, but this 80/100w has hung in there for a spell, and I may have to take a run up to Hiner View overlook in PA to get it to crap out. I’ve had two bulbs go out on me going up to that place (for no particular reason) and swapped them out in the parking area. Crazy.

Any perceived difference in how the fan and heat sink locations between the Beamtech and Auxito might function?

Beamtech appears to have its heat dispersion on the outside of the headlamp enclosure.

Auxito appears to circulate air WITHIN the headlamp enclosure.

That appears to be correct, but neither one utilizes a fan. Looiks like to whole aluminum lamp body is used in the Auxito to disperse the heat, inside and out of the reflector enclosure according to one of their illustrations. The Beamtech's sink is on the rear of the bulb.

Not sure just how hot the Auxito heatsink / bulb gets, but with the plug directly on the rear there still could be a potential problem with the socket melting. Have no experience with those bulbs, so don't have a feel for just how warm / hot they get. Someone here may know.

The Beamtech's connection is corded so the plug is away from the heatsink.

I incorrectly assumed a fan due to the graphic with arrows showing air flow.

Good point on the potential heat sink plug proximity.

from the website it appears to me that the AUXITO does use a fan:

"Made of aluminum alloy shell and utilizing IP65 waterproof technology, built-in powerful fan cools down the heat efficiently, ensures more than 30,000hrs service time and keep the headlights always perform at the optimum brightness "

maybe false advertising?
-tdbru

from the website it appears to me that the AUXITO does use a fan:

"Made of aluminum alloy shell and utilizing IP65 waterproof technology, built-in powerful fan cools down the heat efficiently, ensures more than 30,000hrs service time and keep the headlights always perform at the optimum brightness "

maybe false advertising?
-tdbru

And from their Amazon ad:
618RF0Z7jQS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

"Fanless design, no noise."

Which cracks me up..... like you'd hear it anyway.

Does look like some of their designs on their site do have a fan tho', but not this one.

weird. ok. one place says fan, one say fanless. and as you pointed out, the issue of noise would be meaningless in this context.
-tdbru

well, in case anyone is interested.....

I put the BeamTech in the C10. had to cut out the 3 hole pattern in the boot but once that was out, the boot fit over the BeamTech body like normal. as Guy pointed out, the housing clicks in, then insert the LED assy and give it a turn and click it in. then plug in the pigtail into the socket. I like the light output.

I checked the clearance behind the socket in my '09 Tacoma as well since it also takes the H4 9003 halogens. It has always been a bit light output challenged. And i have polished the plastic lens several times to try and reduce the cloudiness. well the BeamTechs stick out too far in back for my Tacoma so they're strictly for the C10, but the Auxito appeared to be that they'd work, so i ordered them too. just finished installing them in the Tacoma. much better light output and they're short enough on the plug end that they fit fine. not much working room behind the bulb to the battery or the windshield washer reservoir so the Auxito were the ones to use on the Tacoma. As an aside, there was indeed a little fan inside the housing on the Auxito's. So I guess it circulates air inside the light housing as it's pretty sealed in there.

the Auxito would be a plug and play on the C10. With the beamtech i had to trim the boot just a little. and i ziptied the pigtail up out of the way with the beamtech where as TJ pointed out the Auxito would be plug and play totally.

either beamtech or auxito put out about 2x the lumens that an H4 9004 halogen puts out according to manufacturers literature. and take less current, about 1/2 the amount while doing it.

both beamtech and auxito claim >30K hours of life. we shall see i guess. but they do put out more light.

Well, I was and curious how it worked out for you..... but I guess "they" since you tried both. Always looking for the better mousetrap, I was curious about the Auxito bulbs so ordered one of the true fanless versions. I was afraid the fan noise from the other would really bother me over my bike's cam chain noise. :rolleyes:

Kidding about the noise, but I did order one of the fanless through Amazon. Thought it was going to be in yesterday, but apparently delayed for a day or so.

Appreciate the report.

Just got back to this discussion.
I see that you worked out the Beamtech mount on a C-10.
For clarity; I installed mine on my C-14, and want to add one to my C-10.
So, I didn't know the answer to your question.

You sed; The Auxito would be a plug and play on the C10. With the beamtech I had to trim the boot just a little. and I ziptied the pigtail up out of the way with the beamtech where as TJ pointed out the Auxito would be plug and play totally.

I disagree with installing the Auxito on a C-10 as plug and play.
ie; The base of the Auxito is a heat sink and needs to be exposed to the air to dissipate the heat.
So, I wouldn't put the rubber boot at the 3 pins. I would trim the hole bigger and slide the boot down as far as possible.

Thinking; I think I would prefer the Beamtech over the Auxito as the Beamtech heat sink has a lot more surface area.
Plus, the Auxito idea of moving air inside of the housing seems wrong.
My thought is to get that heat outside of the headlight housing.
Guy, Thoughts on that??

By the way; My apologies to Guy for anyone that may have confused the 2 of us.
{He's a lot better looking than me}.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Ted,
the slots in the Auxito are inside the reflector housing as you can see. the rubber boot slips up the shank, just like on the Halogen bulbs. You wouldn't need to trim the boot if you use the Auxito, though if you want that's up to you. With the beamtech you have to trim the three holes out to get the boot to slide up the shank.

we shall see how long either version runs as I am running both kinds now, beamtech on the C10 and the auxito on the tacoma. If they truly do last as long as the advertising (doubtful) then they will outlast the vehicles they're installed in.

My apologies for mixing Ted and Guy up. that was my bad.
-tdbru

I have an led from DZG on Amazon. 20 bucks apiece and have 5 in my bikes for over a year. They are much better than led used to be and fit perfectly. I tried one of the brands without the fan and huge heat sink. Bright to look at, but terrible throw. These are great. It is confusing as hell with so many options.

Just got back to this discussion.
I see that you worked out the Beamtech mount on a C-10.
For clarity; I installed mine on my C-14, and want to add one to my C-10.
So, I didn't know the answer to your question.

You sed; The Auxito would be a plug and play on the C10. With the beamtech I had to trim the boot just a little. and I ziptied the pigtail up out of the way with the beamtech where as TJ pointed out the Auxito would be plug and play totally.

I disagree with installing the Auxito on a C-10 as plug and play.
ie; The base of the Auxito is a heat sink and needs to be exposed to the air to dissipate the heat.
So, I wouldn't put the rubber boot at the 3 pins. I would trim the hole bigger and slide the boot down as far as possible.

Thinking; I think I would prefer the Beamtech over the Auxito as the heat sink has a lot more surface area.
Guy, Thoughts on that??

By the way; My apologies to Guy for anyone that may have confused the 2 of us.
{He's a lot better looking than me}.

Ride safe, Ted

"Thinking; I think I would prefer the Beamtech over the Auxito as the heat sink has a lot more surface area.
Guy, Thoughts on that??"

I did think about that, and it was one of the reasons I decided to try the version without the fan just to see how they did. The question is which bulb type dumps more heat inside a reflector's enclosure: heat disappated from an LED lamp's heatsink, or heat disapated from a high wattage (80/100w) halogen bulb?

You can definitely feel the warmth on the lamp's lens from a regular high wattage bulb, so what do the different versions of the Auxito feel like?

Will find out for the one without the fan shortly. Mine came in today, but I got to fooling around programming a wifi based switch to turn the tree lights on and off, mainly because the receptacle usually wind up behind the tree where you can't easily get to it. Got it working fine with my phone, Android tablet, and Google Assistant - THEN - decided to unplug it and will be sending it back tomorow; too much potential exposure.

My concern with the Auxito is (if used as plug and play) the rubber headlight boot would completely cover the base of light.
ie; Heat would be trapped inside the boot.

Guy; Harbor Freight has a wireless remote switch kit that can be used for Christmas tree lights.
I bought one years ago, and it works great.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
"Harbor Freight has a remote switch kit for Christmas tree lights.
I bought some years ago and they work great.

Ride safe, Ted"
This is going to sound smart a$$ but it is not meant to be. Call myself following this chain of posts but I seem to have missed something.
What is the Christmas tree switch kit referencing and how would it be used? Sure I missed something in the read. Sorry.

I wuz replying to Guys note with a solution to his problem.

I got to fooling around programming a WIFI based switch to turn the tree lights on and off, mainly because the receptacle usually wind up behind the tree where you can't easily get to it. Got it working fine with my phone, Android tablet, and Google Assistant - THEN - decided to unplug it and will be sending it back tomorrow; too much potential exposure.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
My concern with the Auxito is (if used as plug and play) the rubber headlight boot would completely cover the base of light.
ie; Heat would be trapped inside the boot.

Guy; Harbor Freight has a wireless remote switch kit that can be used for Christmas tree lights.
I bought one years ago, and it works great.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted. Hadn't considered HF. May run over there tomorrow since they're supposed to be in stock. We worked out another solution, but this would probably be better.

I just came across the Auxito Fanless that Guy ordered. (I think)
(Guy, I kinda though you were joking about a Fanless because of your noise comment).

Looking at the Auxito Fanless, it's pretty obvious that it's built by the same manufacturer as the Beamtech.
I do like the "Same light position" claim as it should keep the beam in the same position as the OEM Halogen Light.
So, I'm anxious to see Guys report on how it works out in his C-10/other.

Ride safe, Ted

Update; (For my Frugal COG Buddies) I just found the Fanless on Ebay for $6 less..

One for motorcycle usage (fanless) in a single bulb pack for $17.

Last edited:
I just came across the Auxito Fanless that Guy ordered. (I think)
(Guy, I kinda though you were joking about a Fanless because of your noise comment).

Looking at the Auxito Fanless, it's pretty obvious that it's built by the same manufacturer as the Beamtech.
I do like the "Same light position" claim as it should keep the beam in the same position as the OEM Halogen Light.
So, I'm anxious to see Guys report on how it works out in his C-10/other.

Ride safe, Ted

Update; (For my Frugal COG Buddies) I just found the Fanless on Ebay for $6 less..

One for motorcycle usage (fanless) in a single bulb pack for $17.

Nope, this is the fanless one I ordered:
1639007111065.png

Aww Drat. I thought I had it figured out. o_O
I later did a search for the H4 9003 Auxito in Ebay and found countless different versions.
One has a special turbo fan in it to transfer the heat better. (externally)
The fact that their doing this renews my concerns about dissipating heat inside of the headlight, or under the rubber headlight boot.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Quick observation, installation and initial power up of the Auxito Motorcycle Fanless LED Bulb

• Removed my existing Wagner 80/100w H4 incandescent bulb.
  • Attempted to install the Auxito. Went into the reflector housing pocket okay, but the retention spring would not engage the notch in the housing. After several attempts, removed the bulb. Closer inspection showed that the rear bulb body was considerably thicker than that of the original H4 by several thousands. Basically, the rear flange was too thick and it was blocking the notch, keeping the spring from dropping into place.
  • I can fix that; we have the technology.
  • Chucked the bulb in the lathe and cut the thickness of the rear flange down by ½ of its original thickness. Sorry boys and girls, no dimensions taken; I was on a mission.
  • After blowing off the bulb to clear away any debris, reinstalled the bulb in the housing. The spring now engages the notch just fine.
  • Plugged it up and applied power. The low beam elevation seems a little lower than the original H4, and also not quite as bright. High beam seems about right, and also appears to be brighter with a sharp horizontal cut off. This is during an overcast day, about 2:00 p.m., with the garage lights off. Will test at a later time in real world darkness, but nay have to wait a day or so; raining. Keeping the original H4 handy JIC

Stay tuned..

Images below..................
Unlevel ground, out about 15 or so feet from the garage door. Yard too mushy to try and get it out on the road and see how it looks.

Low beam:
IMG_0243-X2.jpg

High beam:
IMG_0244-X2.jpg

Note: That is not my normal idle RPM. Enrichener was still 1/2 way on due to the temp.

Last edited:
So, inquiring minds wanna know.
Did the Auxito bulb work out ok? Was the heat inside of the housing an issue?

Ride safe, Ted