• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Handlebar Adapter for the ZG1000

rluna

Tricycle
I purchased a handlebar adapter kit from MurphsKits last year, (I allows use of standard motorcycle handlebars on the classic Concours). My bone doctor says I have to move to a fully upright seating position; so it is this or get a new motorcycle. Being cheap I have opted for the handlebar and seat revision on my Concours. I am ready to start the project, but some family members think I am being stupid doing this and have made me a bit nervous about changing the rider geometry of the bike. Any of you have experience with this type of revision?

Rick, a number of us are using tubular bars of various geometry to acheive a "better for us" riding position.  In my case, it is the opposite of what you seek.  A slightly more forward position with a bit more width for easeir control in the slow stuff.  Others have used bars from ATVs, Goldwings, and other Mini-Apes for a more upright and relaxed seating.  Murph used to stock the mini-apes (similar to the old Honda Magna bars) that come back and up to give what you are describing.  I know Man Of Blues used to run a set of Mini-apes on one of his C-10s. 

Thanks Rev. Its good to know that others have done this with some success. For me its an old neck injury that is coming back to bite me in my kinda' old age. The forward leaning stress of bearing a helmeted head. The longer bars may also reduce some of the buzz as well - it will be interesting to see how all this will change the C10 riding experience.

I changed my bars shortly after purchasing my bike.  I used Goldwing Gl1200 bars.  The bike handles fine.

Welcome to the Comfort Club!  ^-^

I'm soon-to-be-a-grandfather, and I knew before I bought the bike that I would be changing the bar position.
By the time I was finished, I had installed the Storz Adapter that allows tubular bars, and Heli-Bars which are adjustable in multiple directions.

It still wasn't enough for my "Sportless-Touring" riding style  :D, so I also added 2" ROX risers to the mix.

I followed that up with Murph's Kneesavers and a Russell seat.
Now that I have a bike that fits me, I'm planning another Iron Butt ride in May.

Any of you have experience with this type of revision?

Welcome to 'The Quest'.  I've been through this over the years, all for ergonomics.  Keep in mind that when you change one thing, you often invoke the need to change others too.  I ended up with:

- Storz Bar adapter trying several 7/8" bars until I found the right one that's fairly high (not mini-ape hanger high), grips now extend just behind the gas cap.  The bars are wider too - 29" end of grip to end of grip.  The C10 stockers are too narrow for me. 

- Different seats tried - ended up on a Corbin (dual canyon model I think).

- Different WS's tried - ended up with a Cee Bailey 25.5"

- Murph's KneeSaver pegs - (awesome for my longer legs and finicky knees).

- HighwayPegs - also awesome to stretch out on.

- Baker air wings - the large size for Wings and Voyagers with 2 bends in the deflector.

Now the C10 fits me and I like it a lot.  However, since this setup has come together, I've done an all day 11 hour trip on a bone stock C10 (including stock WS) and did surprisingly well comfort wise. 

I traveled from MI to VT (about 850 mi. each way, plus the week of riding around) for last year's Mt. Snow National on a '95 GPZ1100.  Its sits slightly more sporty a stock C10.  I did quite well comfort wise there too, which was a pleasant surprise. 

I just put wider bars with a flatter angle at the grips on the GPZ, which is even more comfortable.

For me, part of the issue was learning how to 'sit' the bike(s) - not using smaller muscles to hold me up (arms, hands and shoulders) but using the larger muscles in the lower back and torso.  This frees that tension and pressure in my shoulder's, arms and hands.

Still, the most comfortable ride that I have is the modded C10.

Good luck and enjoy the search.  If something doesn't work quite right, don't worry.  You can always sell it.

Stasch said:
I traveled from MI to VT (about 850 mi. each way, plus the week of riding around) for last year's Mt. Snow National on a '95 GPZ1100.  Its sits slightly more sporty a stock C10.  I did quite well comfort wise there too, which was a pleasant surprise.

This one?

Attachments

• gpz.jpg
    gpz.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 317
Rick,

I am using tubular ATV bars that provide a more upright position and are angled back less than the stock bars.  I also have a slight neck issue, and both of these characteristics paid big dividends in my comfort on the bike.  The change in riding position is fairly slight, but makes a big difference in the amount of time I can spend without a break, yet isn't too much of a compromise for sporty riding.  The straighter bars improve the position of my wrists and elbows, which reduces the amount of strain in my shoulders and neck.  I am extremely happy with my setup, and I recommend that you try some different setups to see what works best.  One nice thing about the tubular bars is that it is fairly inexpensive to try different bars to see which one fits best.  My ATV bars were around $30 new, and a range of different bars are available from various accessory retailers for around $20 apiece.  Bars from a Honda Nighthawk that provide some fore and aft adjustment are usually available used on Ebay.  I have a set I have yet to try, and am interested in seeing how they work for me.

Bottom line, there is no shame in trying to make the bike more comfortable for you, even if it isn't the way someone thinks it "should be", and converting to tubular bars is a great way of doing it, IMO.  It would more of a shame to have a bike you don't ride because you aren't comfortable on it.  BTW, here are some pics showing my setup.

HTH,

2275705040101812480S500x500Q85.jpg

2451181290101812480S500x500Q85.jpg

WillyP said:
Stasch said:

This one?

That's the one!

rick I put a set of gl1100 handle bars on mine and a set of crash bars with hiway pegs when your riding solo down a boring road (I'm lying my feet never come off the hiway pegs ;D ) its so nice to get your feet up on them bars I think the bike handles better with the bigger bars didn't help much on the buzz but I'm a married god fearing man so looks were not in my thoughts when doing the mods good luck

Attachments

• IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 279
All motorcycles USED to have tubular handlebars that were adjustable or could be changed to ones that suited the rider better. I cannot think of any of my previous ten motorcycles over the past fifty years that I didn't adjust, bend or replace the bars for a better ergonomic fit. The seat/pegs were nearly impossible to shift positions or types (back in the day) so the handlebars were the way to modify riding position.

The Concours is the only motorcycle I've owned (although there are many out there) with non-adjustable handlebars. I personally think it is ridiculous to think that motorcyclists come in a one-size-fits-all category. I finally broke down and changed to tubular:

2382493210053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

Hehehehehe... I've got fully rubber isolated tube handlebars ! I'm gonna run proto # 2 up to the RWTW and see which setup gets the nod for production... Steve

Wow! Thank you all for your comments and photos. The modification pictures were amazingly 8)
I will start working on my bike this weekend, so riding is probably still a few weeks away. oh-well. OK Steve in Sunny Fla - I never heard of rubber isolated handlebars... for reals? Or you pullin' our legs?  :)

Yeah, for real - Do a search for a thread named "looky what I gots" there pics there. It's something that Has been in the works for awhile but I hope to get it going soon- Steve

Hello Guys:

This is an awesome post, I had no idea that we could switch over to conventional bars.

I currently just have bar risers and the stock bars on my 2000.  My problem is not my neck, but my elbows, shoulders and my lower back.
Hey 10 plus years of riding the BEEZA on top of everything else will beat you up eventually.

Anywho a few ?s Steve where did you get the rubber isolated bars? or did you just fill them yourself ? and has anybody looked at the adjustable bars on the Yamaha Ventures?

For someone like me, that is average height.  I,m thinking somewhere along the lines of 2" more rise over stock and maybe touch more pull back.

I know one of you mentioned bars off a Goldwing but what year?

8)

Redbarron said:
Steve where did you get the rubber isolated bars? or did you just fill them yourself ?

It's a product I'm finishing up now. The bars aren't filled, the mounting adapter had rubber isolators built into it, so the mount and the handlebar clamps are fully isolated from each other.  Steve

can't answer either Q at this point. In fact this should have already been available, but I've had issues with the machinist. At least now I have the second proto, so things are moving. Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
can't answer either Q at this point. In fact this should have already been available, but I've had issues with the machinist. At least now I have the second proto, so things are moving. Steve

Can you put up some pics of what you currently have?

I am eagerly awaiting the new product as I need something handlebar wise for the Iron Butt bike.  I really dont need my bars wider just maybe a little higher and further back. 

I am assuming that depending on the bars new cables (brake, clutch and choke)

Is there a chance that you might have some in time for Nationals?  If you arent going to be able to make it I would be willing to show them off as I will be there all week. 

Just ran into a guy at the local Home Depot who has a rather extensively modded KLR650. He has rubber mounted bars. It is a setup I don't quite understand but I think it involves two separate mods to achieve the result. I'm currently trying Larry Buck's ZG-Bars mod (http://bucksporttouring.com/accessory1.html) on mine. It seems to help but I haven't given it a long ride yet other than the 1 1/2 hr ride back from his place. It gives rise and pull back but does narrow the bars a bit. I think I like it. I like it at least for local stuff. Larry seems to be a very nice guy.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product Steve in Sunny Fla. Thanks for sharing. Back to work...  :motonoises:

Steve, I really think you should skip the RWTW and come up to the MI Wrench 'n Grill Fest day at my place instead.  You can show us northerners your new isolated bar mount.

All those other guys down around where you're at can see them anytime.

Stasch said:
Steve, I really think you should skip the RWTW and come up to the MI Wrench 'n Grill Fest day at my place instead.  You can show us northerners your new isolated bar mount.

All those other guys down around where you're at can see them anytime.

got a laugh out of me with that one Stan :beerchug: I'm still trying to finagle going to the national without major family upheaval - 2 females at home makes me often feel like I'm juggling chainsaws  :-[ Steve

I too am on the hunt for some nice bars that bring the the bar position back to where it used to be with bar risers now I have the ZRX front end fitted that has a standard 7/8" mount.

I like the bard Bergmen has as they are fully adjustable, if any one sees a set like that on the market let me know.

Heli have discontinued this line Link  that I think would have been a shoe in.

full01_17.jpg

I've just had my ride on proto #2. WOW - serious vibration control! Unfortunately the hole centers are off, so the machinist is going to have to cut another one. Don't know if I'll have it in time for RWTW, but at least proto#1 will be on there. Steve

Colin said:

Ha! Result!!
I went down to my local Bike wrecking yard and scored a set of Heli Bars for $20  :)
Shame they did not have a front fender too! LOL

Colin said:
Colin said:

Ha! Result!!
I went down to my local Bike wrecking yard and scored a set of Heli Bars for $20  :)

A shame I'd reckon... sounds like you were in a stealin' mood.

I tell ya Rev, I was outa there like a greased pig!  :motonoises:

To be honest I think he had been at the sauce, as it was lunchtime and I could smell booze.
So I was er ya I guess that's ok... byeeee

Now I gotta figure out the angle of the dangles...

CP

I know a lot will depend on which bar you run, but what about extending cables and other assorted stuff with the controls? Stock bars in the stock position gave me a pain between the shoulders. GenMar risers fixed that but I still am riding with my arms almost completely extended. It's still a pig doing much slow speed stuff(motor officer course type games) and I'm sure a little more leverage(ala GL11/1200 bars)would help there.

I got proto #2 squared away and took it to RWTW. It worked outstandingly well! I have a meeting with the machinist tomorrow. I'll start getting the final proto under way, and discuss final parts prices. Of course I still have to source hardware and powdercoating; I'm considering just buying a powdercoating outfit and an old oven to do it myself... Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
  Hehehehehe... I've got fully rubber isolated tube handlebars ! I'm gonna run proto # 2 up to the RWTW and see which setup gets the nod for production... Steve

steve, ya mean the clamps are rubber isolated right? Not the actual bars themselves?

Colin said:
Colin said:

Ha! Result!!

WOW, shame they don't have bike boneyards anywhere near here. I'd love to check one out on one of my next road trips. Where was the one you went to?

rick3foxes said:

I'm soon-to-be-a-grandfather, and I knew before I bought the bike that I would be changing the bar position.
By the time I was finished, I had installed the Storz Adapter that allows tubular bars, and Heli-Bars which are adjustable in multiple directions.

It still wasn't enough for my "Sportless-Touring" riding style  :D, so I also added 2" ROX risers to the mix.

Now that I have a bike that fits me, I'm planning another Iron Butt ride in May.

Rick,
Will the Rox risers work with my Helis? And did the 2" give you enough? You bought the 7/8" ones right? Model number?
Thanks,
Jim

james_laribee_NY said:
rick3foxes said:

Rick,
Will the Rox risers work with my Helis? And did the 2" give you enough? You bought the 7/8" ones right? Model number?
Thanks,
Jim

Yes

james_laribee_NY said:
Rick,
Thanks,
Jim

I'm using the Rox risers with my Helibars.
I bought them of eBay, and I can't remember what model number.
They are 7/8" black 2" risers.
Now I'm riding in basically a "Goldwing" style upright position.

Rick, Thanks for your reply. I ordered the Rox risers but I went for the 3 1/2" ones. I figure i can always slide my Helis down a bit if they are too high. I'll have them in a few days and then I can see what I have to do about cables and hoses. Still  a lot cheaper than buying a new bike. And I just love my Connie anyway.
Jim