• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Handlebar risers/pullback

bokobob

Training Wheels
Hello, I searched on Risers and had a lot of hits and read everything carefully...I found "just" what I needed in one of the heli-bar products but then see it is for the C14 and not the C10....ok, I also read up on the new mount that SISF is selling (or soon will sell, I didn't figure out which.)....I currently have the 1 1/4" riser insert and find them to be totally inadequate for me...I need to get to sitting much more straight up..I'll need a good 3" more pullback, which I think will also require another two to three inch rise (in order to clear the gas tank from the ends of the bars) ....I can handle the replacement of the cables when the time comes...

I see where this might likely be accomplished with Steve's new product, depending upon which replacment bars I choose, but if I could, I'd like to retain the present bars....

Any other ides to get full three inch pullback?

Thank you.

I think changing to tubular bars, or the Helibars, is the only way your going to get that kind of pullback. Adding more risers will riaise the bars, and that pulls them back toward you slightly, but not 3 inches. There is also a product called 'Bar Backs' IIRC Larry Buck makes them, but what they do is rotate the ends of the bars inward. I don't know how much, never used them.

Why do you want to keep the bars you have?

Thanks WillyP and to answer your question, I really don't have a clear reason for wanting to keep my same bars, except that it seems obvious to me that if they were 3 inches further back, they'd be "just right" and in order to do that and clear the tank, an addiitional 2-3 inches of height would seem necessary.....Perhaps one other reason is that I don't want to experiment with other bars to "find" the right ones....That might be necessary, however...Maybe someone will have figured it out already to the point that all I have to do is buy the "stuff" (whatever that is) and have it installed...

Having just brought the bike home three days ago, I am still getting used to it, yet it seems clear that I'll need to do something to reduce/elminate the back pain, as this is a fabulous bike otherwise..

Cordially,

I think the thing to do is to look closely at the bar adapters, to get an idea of where the bars would start, then go to an m/c junkyard and try different bars, while sitting on the bike on the center-stand. Then you can hold the bars in roughly the place they would be while you are sitting in a comfortable position, and see which bars get you there.

Steve's adapter would also add the benefit of rubber isolation to the bars, which I think would also help comfort.

Also once you have converted to tubular bars, you could always add dog-bones to get more rise, pull-back, or tank clearance.

Again, thanks, WillyP....I can see why you are administrator...you are very active aand helpful all over the forum...
I'll take your advice and check around at MC junkyards for various bars...meanwhile, I plan to relax and get used to the bike over time, as well as do continuing study to learn more about options..
Regards,

Thanks for your kind words, but I am only an administrator because I made the theme and the wiki section.

Old Bob said:
Hello, I searched on Risers and had a lot of hits and read everything carefully...I found "just" what I needed in one of the heli-bar products but then see it is for the C14 and not the C10....ok, I also read up on the new mount that SISF is selling (or soon will sell, I didn't figure out which.)....I currently have the 1 1/4" riser insert and find them to be totally inadequate for me...I need to get to sitting much more straight up..I'll need a good 3" more pullback, which I think will also require another two to three inch rise (in order to clear the gas tank from the ends of the bars) ....I can handle the replacement of the cables when the time comes...

I see where this might likely be accomplished with Steve's new product, depending upon which replacment bars I choose, but if I could, I'd like to retain the present bars....

Any other ides to get full three inch pullback?

Thank you.

Hey Bob,
  Check out the ROX handlebar riser/pullbacks. They come in 3 different lengths in black or polished aluminum.

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?multicatlabel_id=81&multicatsublabel_id=305

Another thing to consider (if you already have tubular bar adaptors) is to look for handlebars from mid-1980's Honda Nighthawk S. They have an adjustment capability at the lower knuckle that allows pull-back changes. This is what I did:

2382493210053667879S600x600Q85.jpg
2780736940053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

Bergmen said:
Another thing to consider (if you already have tubular bar adaptors) is to look for handlebars from mid-1980's Honda Nighthawk S. They have an adjustment capability at the lower knuckle that allows pull-back changes. This is what I did:

Dan

Do you find them high enough?? I have the bar adapters I bought a while back here on the forum but the bars that came with it are way to low. I checked on Storz site and we getting ready to order the taller of the choices, but if this allows forward play I'd prefer them.

Edit: These looked like them..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Honda-CB700SC-Nighthawk-TWIST-THROTTLE-ASSY-Handle-Bars-Left-Right-/110904168656?hash=item19d26750d0&item=110904168656&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1548wt_1271

DannyL said:
Do you find them high enough?? I have the bar adapters I bought a while back here on the forum but the bars that came with it are way to low. I checked on Storz site and we getting ready to order the taller of the choices, but if this allows forward play I'd prefer them.

Edit: These looked like them..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Honda-CB700SC-Nighthawk-TWIST-THROTTLE-ASSY-Handle-Bars-Left-Right-/110904168656?hash=item19d26750d0&item=110904168656&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1548wt_1271
This turned out to be a really odd situation for me. From the beginning I felt the stock bars on my 2003 were too short. So I got the GenMar risers which helped but it still wasn't all that comfortable to me. When I did the ZRX fork conversion I put the Nighthawk bars on and they were lower than the stock bars but the increased pull-back solved my comfort issue. It would be nice if they were an inch taller but I cannot find a set of bars that have the same top angle that I can cut and insert into the Nighthawk lowers. So, this is what I ended up with.

Dan

Well Berg I took a chance and picked them up for $40 delivered. I'll try to combine them with my riser block i already have on the bike.  At the very worse I have a tube bender and a 1" die that should should be able to do something with!
My issue is the pull back angle on the stock ones, my wrist hates it.....

Hi Bob, All:
Just you know, Murphy has the adapter (for conversion) in inventory now. 
I ordered one adapter yesterday, and will make it become a "Package" -- (1) Adapter, (2) Tubular (seems have 6 difference size to choose from), and (3) extended cables (choke, throttle,...).

Very happy to get something that will help my "physical" issue, my arms will be much more comfortable in soon.  Keep posted !!

Just received the handlebar adaptor (KB-100) from Murphy this afternoon; his delivery is earlier than expected as always, but truly welcome. 

Next step is to choose a tubular bar that will meet my requirement --- >  PullBack.  My ideal riding position is 0-Degree leaning forward, so I can sit up straight when I want to.  By using the illustrating service of this website, I expect to have the riding position as if riding a R150RT
http://cycle-ergo.com/

When ordering a handlebar (tubular bar), the tricky part is everyone has his own measurement system about the specifications, and I don't find a measurement of C-10' original setting data for reference.
So I took a shoot, and hope this is good.

Handlebar Measurement
(1) C-10 Stock Clip-On Handlebar (with additional 1-1/2" bar raiser already installed from last year)
-- Wide: 28 inches (measurement: horizontal distance left bar-end to right bar-end).
-- Raise: 2-1/2 inches (measurement: vertical distance between the central claim to the lowest point of bar-end (eight left or right handlebar).
-- Pullback: 7-1/2 inches ( measurement: horizontal distance between the central claim to the mid-point of the line between left and right bar-end)

(2) ATV Handlebar (Suzuki LTA400) I bought from an online recycle store is $24 (shipping included)
-- Wide: 31 inches
-- Raise: 5 inches
-- Pullback: 10-1/2 inches.

If I didn't mess up the calculations, this setting up will give me 3-inch pullback, and 2-inch raise.  We'll see how it works out.

When it arrives next week, I will try to hook up the cables and see if customized lines will be needed. 
Thanks,  KL

To Bob:  if you are still looking for a setting up; I think couples of items you may want to take a look at.
- Honda Nighthawk 750.  Pullback is 12-inch
- Goldwing 1100:  32-inch wide, also 12-inch-ish pullback. 
- BMW K1200LT: 15-inch Pullback, 32-inch wide, 7-1/2 raise. 

All of these three are having 7/8 inch diameter, and fitting should be not a problem to C-10 <DISCLAIM: please verify again while you make your purchase).

DannyL said:

I found there appears to be two different style bars. I recently bought a set similar to the example above. They are black, low (would be about same hight as stock IMHO). I came across another set, that is chromed, and much taller similar to these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Honda-CB650SC-Nighthawk-Left-and-Right-Handle-Bars-/280916011371?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222001%26algo%3DSIC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D579155737222688501%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D3%26

Now I was only able to get the bars (as a right/left set), not the whole assembly but I figured I can utilize the bottom piece from the first set.  There used to be a whole assembly available, but I missed out on it.

BTW, does anyone know a tip on how that pin in the bars (the lower/black version) can be removed. Does it need to be drilled/dremeled out?  The pin on the chromed bars is part of a steel leafspring set-up, can be depressed by just pressing in, the pin on the black bars looks like it's pressed in,,,sort of.

Thanks

KL..thanks for additional info....Sounds like you are very thorough....Please keep us informed as you get your bike just the way you want
and also with the final specs on pullback, etc...

Regards,

Ever how you get bars on your bike, we can handle all the support work on cable and hoses.

Murph
murphskits.com

Bob said:
Thanks WillyP and to answer your question, I really don't have a clear reason for wanting to keep my same bars, except that it seems obvious to me that if they were 3 inches further back, they'd be "just right" and in order to do that and clear the tank, an addiitional 2-3 inches of height would seem necessary.....Perhaps one other reason is that I don't want to experiment with other bars to "find" the right ones....That might be necessary, however...Maybe someone will have figured it out already to the point that all I have to do is buy the "stuff" (whatever that is) and have it installed...

Having just brought the bike home three days ago, I am still getting used to it, yet it seems clear that I'll need to do something to reduce/elminate the back pain, as this is a fabulous bike otherwise..

Cordially,

Go slow while you are evaluating different bar position fixes and ride your new bike a bit.  I have moved to a Connie from riding a big Yamaha Venture Royale for many, many years and find that I'm not as comfortable with the new bike's seating position, bars, seat comfort, etc.

I've also found that my body has adjusted to the bike and, after about 1,000 miles of local riding in the last month, find that the bars don't seem to induce wrist, lower arm or back pain at all. 

Give your body a chance to "burnish in" with the bike.  You may be very surprised at how adaptable we Geezers can be!

I wish I had found this thread earlier. I talked with heli-bars and they don't make them for the c10 anymore. I then bought the Storz package that has been highly recommended in other thread. I have just sold my chopper ( bartered it for this C10) becuase I just had major back surgery and need upright to ride. I unfortunately sold both my Valk and GoldWing before surgery as it was not certian I would walk AGIAN.

One the risers( 3" up and 7" back 29" across) are installed, I may look at adapting my windshield.

So, any body use the Storz before?

Cheers

Bob said:
KL..thanks for additional info....Sounds like you are very thorough....Please keep us informed as you get your bike just the way you want
and also with the final specs on pullback, etc... Regards,

Here is the current result; I only blame myself didn't find this genius thread/solution earlier.  :-[

Definitely sitting up straight (body forward lean only about 2 degree with arm/elbow about 95%straight).  Absolutely no vertical force passed from my palm onto the handle bar, which means (1) Steering is effortless, (2) connie characterized Buzz is not passing up to my arm.  I think this is the cure to my "carpal tunnel syndrome" (not a joke). 

Total pullback gained by this way is about 5~6 inches (see my attached blurry photos). 
Stock Handlebar (pullback: 7.5") replaced with ATV Handlebar (pullback: 10.5"); I was expecting a 3(or4) inch back.  But KB-100 (Stepper) provides another 2" back (I did not know till I installed it).

The catch is the clutch line; probably need to upgrade to stainless line in soon.
Cheers, KL

Also, the 84-87 Sabre was available with adjustable bars, those were about 2" taller than the nighthawk bars, and the 1983 Magna and some 84 Magnas were available with adjustable bars, those are 4" taller than the Nighthawk bars, but they cost a pretty penny as that was a rare option on those bikes.

Mine was $150.

Bergmen said:

Dan