• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Heading to Austin for MotoGP 2018

KiPassBlows

I am headed for MotoGP in Austin this coming Tuesday April 17th. I will probably just take the fastest route from Southeastern PA. If anyone out there is also headed that way give me a shout. Really psyched for the ride.

connie_rider said:
When is the actual race?
Purchase tickets online?
I may come in for the day.

Ride safe, Ted

Same weekend as Cliff's ride Ted.

The race is Sunday, April 22. It should be a interesting one after what happened in Argentina. Austin is a fun town. I'm planning on spending all three days at the track. I hope someone other than Marquez wins but Honda is looking good this year. The other thing cool about Austin's race is the riders pop up all over the place as most fans here don't recognize them. Last year we met Zarcco's manager, some nice French dude that just smiled and grunted when we spoke. I'll post the picture later.

Hi Fred,
I tried to have a cog event the first year.  It did alright but didn't seem to turn into a yearly event as I thought it might.  Partly because other cog events keep getting scheduled on the same weekend.  I am heading up to the HMR also.  Enjoy.  It is a lot of fun.  Get a pic with the track babes and post it here. 

smithr1 said:
Hi Fred,
...Get a pic with the track babes and post it here.

Yeah....That's part of the fun.  I uploaded a pic of the Ducati Girls to social media and got a call within an hour from my wife, asking what the pic was all about.  Her network of friends saw it and called her.

Attachments

• 14___1y__.png
    14___1y__.png
    293.8 KB · Views: 160
I'm planning to be there on Saturday with my dad and my 2 sons, but the forecast is thunderstorms.  I can't afford Sunday tickets but I may have to bite the bullet and go on Sunday. 

OK, the forecast scared me off of Saturday, so I bit the bullet today and bought Sunday tickets.  $100 for turn 15 tickets.  If you haven't been there before, turn 15 is a good place to see a lot of action.  I also like to walk down to the general admission areas around turn 9 and sit on the grassy hill.

Of course the hi-lite of every MotoGP trip is the vendor area on the infield.  Every bike manufacturer is represented with most of their product line on display.  The accessory suppliers are also there with their latest products.

:motonoises:

Looks they got the message, if they just let Marc into the lead he is a lot less dangerous.
Where are my Umbrella Girls?

:TPIWWP:

We had a great time.  Weather was perfect, a little cool in the morning, then sunny and warm.  I'm sunburned!!!
Marquez dominated, 2nd place in the first turn, then took over first after the long straight (turn 12), then ran away from everyone.

The vendor area was great as usual, although I didn't see Kawasaki represented.  I saw most other brands, yamaha, suzuki, honda, indian, hardly, guzzi, aprilla, etc

Advice:
1. Ride to the race because that gets you free parking in the motorcycle lot.  They will also check your gear into a tent for free.
2. If you bring a car you can either park in the COTA lots or there are many other private lots around the track.  $20 is fairly standard for pricing.
3. Turn 1 is a very high vantage point but the big screen TV there isn't very big.
4. Turn 15 stands are good higher than row 10 is best and section 7 or higher is better.  The lower numbered sections are closer to the big screen.
5. General admission is also a good way to go.  That gets you access to many of the areas where there are no stands.
6. Arrive early.  First race at 11 we got there around 9.
7. Traffic headed back to Austin is HORRIBLE!!!  Hang around the track until things thin out.  This is a great time to do some shopping as most vendors were offering 30% off.
8. The main grandstands on the start/finish straight are good but you will watch most of the race on TV.

We arrived Thursday night spent Friday Saturday and Sunday at the track. Our third year at CoTA after going several at Indy. We have toyed with the idea of riding... Not fro Ohio in April!
Lots to see, lots to do. Never a dull moment!

kkja13 said:
We had a great time.  Weather was perfect, a little cool in the morning, then sunny and warm.  I'm sunburned!!!
Marquez dominated, 2nd place in the first turn, then took over first after the long straight (turn 12), then ran away from everyone.

The vendor area was great as usual, although I didn't see Kawasaki represented.  I saw most other brands, yamaha, suzuki, honda, indian, hardly, guzzi, aprilla, etc

Advice:
1. Ride to the race because that gets you free parking in the motorcycle lot.  They will also check your gear into a tent for free.
2. If you bring a car you can either park in the COTA lots or there are many other private lots around the track.  $20 is fairly standard for pricing.
3. Turn 1 is a very high vantage point but the big screen TV there isn't very big.
4. Turn 15 stands are good higher than row 10 is best and section 7 or higher is better.  The lower numbered sections are closer to the big screen.
5. General admission is also a good way to go.  That gets you access to many of the areas where there are no stands.
6. Arrive early.  First race at 11 we got there around 9.
7. Traffic headed back to Austin is HORRIBLE!!!  Hang around the track until things thin out.  This is a great time to do some shopping as most vendors were offering 30% off.
8. The main grandstands on the start/finish straight are good but you will watch most of the race on TV.

Thank you.. All good info!!!!

Ride safe, Ted