• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Headlight terminal melted

chevyhuskerguy

My 99 Connie headlight just went out when riding with my brother (He was on my Connie, I was on my CB750).  The bike has the headlight kit from Murphs on it (Previous owner installed it). The terminal where the bulb goes was melted on the ground side. I get no power through the relays on the murph kit now (power present on the in side), and no power through orginal headlight bulb socket (which appears to be wired to activate relays) all fuses in are good. Any ideas? Junction box shot? All other lights and indicators work as supposed to.

If the headlight socket has melted you either had a loose connection (causes arc-ing) or else you fitted a high wattage bulb. 100/80W bulbs are known to melt the plastic connectors. Personally, I recommend an LED bulb but you can also replace the socket with a ceramic one.
If there is now no power to the headlight, then it does sound like the problem may be with the J-box, but first trace back the wires via the headlight harness connector and the main harness to see if you burned out a wire somewhere.

Ideally power for the hi power (hi wattage) bulbs should be provided
by wiring directly to the battery. The stock headlight harness hi beam wire
should control the relay. That way the higher power for the hi wattages
hi beam does not run thru the J-Box.

Hit the wrong button. Re-guarding the socket, yes you should use
a ceramic socket. I think Murphs sell's them. Clean the terminals
and make sure they plug onto the bulb tightly. No need to use a
dielectric grease as it will just melt and run off.

He already had Murph's kit installed and the socket still melted. Disconnect the added wiring and check the original plug for power and ground. ( put a bulb in it) You can use that with a standard wattage bulb or an LED until you figure out the added harness and relay setup. If you don't have power at the original connection check the fuse and relay. Remember the headlight will not have power until you have pushed the start button when you first turn on the key. The start button activates the headlight relay in the junction box.

Thanks for all the info. New ceramic plug is inbound. Should have it back up and Running by the weekend. I guess for tonight’s ride I’ll have to take the little Honda 750 out

The same thing happened to my 2006 Connie. It turned out my battery cables had come loose which caused a power surge that fried my headlights.

No dielectric grease on the contacts please. They should be metal to metal. It is an insulator.

Larry

He already had Murph's kit installed and the socket still melted. Disconnect the added wiring and check the original plug for power and ground. ( put a bulb in it) You can use that with a standard wattage bulb or an LED until you figure out the added harness and relay setup. If you don't have power at the original connection check the fuse and relay. Remember the headlight will not have power until you have pushed the start button when you first turn on the key. The start button activates the headlight relay in the junction box.
This......

You also might want to consider one of these extension critters. The female body portion is made from a ceramic material and can handle the heat of a high wattage bulb. The male plug on the other end connects to the bike's headlamp plug, and if it's connector terminals provide a snug fit, you shouldn't have any more problems.

An LED bulb provides the best soulution IF you can find one that works well with bike's reflector and lens. Some do not, and it took several tries before I found one that I like. I did, but reverted back to an 80/100 bulb because I installed one of the ZZR alternators, so low power to the system is o more.

sockets.jpg

You also might want to consider one of these extension critters. The female body portion is made from a ceramic material and can handle the heat of a high wattage bulb. The male plug on the other end connects to the bike's headlamp plug, and if it's connector terminals provide a snug fit, you shouldn't have any more problems.

An LED bulb provides the best soulution IF you can find one that works well with bike's reflector and lens. Some do not, and it took several tries before I found one that I like. I did, but reverted back to an 80/100 bulb because I installed one of the ZZR alternators, so low power to the system is o more.

sockets.jpg
Where can I purchase this?