• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Healtech Quickshifter iQSE - First Ride

2andblue

COG Executive Director
Healtech Quickshifter iQSE

What - That was a shift - constant seamless power throughout the gears...! For those interested, see some further thoughts below on install, learning, performance and furthest below on practicality.
  1. Install
    • Straight out of the box the install and configure is an hour (not including body panels).
      • No wire splicing just connect the wiring harness to the stick coils and primary ignition harness, control unit and sensor
      • Route wiring
      • Mount strain sensor onto the shift rod
      • Setup Wizard through the Healtech AP
  2. Learning:
    • Automated learning technology
      • Professional mode allows fine tuning per RPM, I stayed in Auto mode.
    • Takes a couple shifts to lose the throttle / clutch muscle memory
    • Guided by the AP made some minor updates to Cutoff and Strain gauge delay timing
      • Reduced preload delay timing to 10 MS
      • Reduced Cut to 80 MS
      • Set minimum RPM to 4K
  3. Performance:
    • Intended for up shifts only - downshifts are possible if sensor mounted on shift arm but not recommended
    • Shifts in lower gears (1->2 & 2->3) are better with heavier throttle, higher RPM and solid accelerating momentum
    • 1->2 is clunky unless above 6K and accelerating heavily
      • Healtech states gear shifts 1 -> 2 only use if smooth for your machine and riding style (will clutch unless getting on it)
      • IMO overall - Lower RPM (~4K - 5K) and lower gear shifts there’s not much benefit and is less smooth than a clutch shift
    • 3/4 throttle first couple gear changes requires attention to maintain front end planted - simply just constant power!
    • Clutch shipments are just fine to still perform there is no side effect of using clutch and activating
Overall this is a fun, functional gadget to increase the enjoyment of riding. The audience I would expect to get most reward would be riders who prefer and frequently ride in a spirited manner. There is a good safety improvement here when getting to it - less coordinating of hands, no upsetting the frame and more watch the road and let Healtech handle the shifts. Price point is easy on the wallet so even those who would only see some use it is not a terrible cost for some added fun factor.

First pillion ride with the Quickshifter. My wife loves the seamless, constant acceleration and with our collective adrenaline spirit this is a great fit for us!

Anyone looking for the next level of acceleration and performance from their C14, from what we see thus far, the Healtech checks these boxes nicely.

We don’t have a GoPro or similar, will try to make a video with a mobile strapped to the bike.

Be later this week or next weekend.

I'll be watching this. {getting older/riding slower} So, I doubt I will install one, but certainly worth considering.

Ride safe, Ted

Don’t have to go like crazy to enjoy this toy.

Also parameters can be set for your unique riding style.

To my knowledge device is limited to RPM telemetry so you cannot set different settings per gear... The DynoJet QS does have this but will cost several hundred more requiring more hardware to be installed, etc.

Will get a video, sounds and feels sweet!

I am interested @SISF should users of this gadget be concerned with the quick upshift engagement and the variable valve timing mechanism. Certainly seems very smooth but there is an obvious quicker gear change. I know others have performed clutch-less shifts for years without issues, for the actual gear change itself it is the same concept except no need to roll on/off the throttle in any way.

I forgot the video - will try again... LOL

Do want to report I broke into the expert mode of the Quickshifter programming and was able to adjust the cut-out milliseconds (MS) more specific to the Concours 14 Transmission, RPM's and my riding styles (😇 - :devilish: - 🏁) Below seems to offer the best seamless, no think shifting whether we are strolling/ touring or peeling the tar up. Quickshifter I only use for Up-Shifts still, no plan to try downshifts. Also all programming is done through your IPhone or Android via a Healtech interface application.

Higher RPM above 7000 with throttle opened more than half was great with standard adaptive / learn mode. The area that improved by setting through expert mode was the low end strolling - now there is no feeling of shifting and no need to move either hand - very slick.

Start RPMEnd RPMCutout Milliseconds (MS)

Appears I broke the strain gauge on the Healtech Quickshifter :mad:

After getting some new boots I needed to significantly adjust the shifter and believe I over-torqued the strain gauge on side of the road.

How this thing generally works is an inline to the shifter arm strain gauge measure positive force, allows milliseconds of force build up then prompts ignition cut for predetermined milliseconds per RPM equation where the shift is carried out on an offloaded transmission and ignition is then restored. All this happens in milliseconds, super smooth, lightning speed, etc.

Regardless, now the strain gauge is not registering positive pressure instead measuring exerted force upon release of the shifter... This results in ignition cut after release of the shifter which does nothing...

I will be calling Healtech Tuesday, they're awesome, I will need a strain gauge overnighted as we leave Friday for an epic ~6,000 mile journey and there is no way my wife is riding this trip without the Quickshifter, she may even want to cancel our day ride tomorrow. The smoothness cannot be mimicked, or well at least not by me, and my wife's neck immediately is in bad shape. It's not the engaging or disengaging of the clutch it's the loss of momentum under heavier acceleration that causes the biggest problem - AND - we like heavy acceleration :devilish:.

Smoothness shall return.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

So I have lived with an up-shift quick-shifter for 7 years now on my BMW S1000R. Works really well...and when I first got the bike I used it quite a bit. It was a nice novelty. Fast forward 7 years...I almost never use it now. I guess, for me, shifting well...matching revs....etc, is part of the art of motorcycling. I don't want an automatic transmission either and have never owned one in a car (and, yes, I know a modern DCT can be faster...I just don't care). So I guess before you invest in one, you should figure out what really gives you pleasure when motorcycling...if shifting well is part of the equation, well maybe you shouldn't...

Absolutely @rogracer everyone’s ride is their own ride.

The market as can see is moving in this direction as well, that’s not bandwagoning, just a fact that more who try it the more who like it and demand it as a base feature.

For the rider there’s no problem with shifting - hardly ever an issue, your fully connected to the machine through your tush, legs and arms. It’s the passenger who benefits tremendously from the Quickshifter, riding 500 plus miles a day every bit of fatigue busting is good and the momentum changes or stiffening up are tough on the neck.

I also enjoy the fun of non-stop power and safety of not having to think of anything but commanding the machine and what’s around me, not rev matching, easy this / that, roll gas, or in clutchless up shifts snap the gas.

No right, no wrong - what makes you happy. Right now Blue wants that Quickshifter back LOL !

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Yeah, don't get me wrong...I'm all for quickshifters. Other than cost, there is really no downside. You can just ignore it if you want. I'm just pointing out my experience of having gone from being very enthusiastic about it initially....to basically now never using it. Obviously, YMMV!

Healtech today has confirmed warranty coverage and overnighting a new strain gauge. This will provide adequate time to install, test, adjust if necessary before vacation.

Healtech customer service I have heard is second to none - today that was proven true (for me at least).

Wayne, Carol & Blue