• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Heated Gear 2017

ghostrider990

I've done some exhaustive searching in the past few days, and most of what I've returned on the COG is seriously outdated.

Here's what I'm looking for:

First Hand Recommendations on current models of 12v WIRED systems, including but not limited to jackets, vests, gloves, pants, boot liners.

I fully intend to install a hard-wired system on my bike, in a dual controller format for passenger/rider accommodations - and really looking for additional information on WIRELESS Rheostatic Controllers.
Who has em?How do you like it? Is it better than a wired/mounted Rheostat Controller??

This seems to be the new wave of technology, and few brands seem to offer "old school" fully wired options these days.

I am interested in any and all premium brands.
i've read reviews on Gerbings, Sedici, Warm-n-safe, Aerostich, Firstgear, Widder, Tourmaster, and several others.
I am leaning towards Warm-n-safe right now, mostly because I am really not a fan of Gerbings flimsy rip-stop taffeta construction, and "member's-only" 80's style jacket offerings.  ::)
WnS has a more form fitting style, and uses a more "current" set of materials and form-fitting styling to match
modern jackets and styling, including an optional waterproof material.  :great:

I think most of the bigger brands are on par with each other in terms of quality and longevity, I'm just looking to get more feedback from the group on what they have either owned and used for a few years, or have purchased recently, and what they like about those systems.

Warranty and customer service experience feedback is also a factor, so please share if it's relevant.

Cheers Boys!

gr

I had to get SOMETHING once I got the Motoport because it gets really cold really fast.

I went several places looking at stuff. Iron Pony in Columbus OH had the best selection to try on and feel fabrics.

After reading and researching I ended up with Warm N Safe and the wireless controller. If I had a passenger often I would porbably have wired a seperate port for her and the controller but I am good with the glove liners, jacket and will add other parts if I find I need them. I bought the waterproof jacket and used it over the lighter raingear Saturday as I hit a heavy storm and had a hint of Fall in the air. Below 58 degrees in the Motoport and the Warm N Safe jacket starts to look pretty good.

I bought her a used Gerbrings vest for her BMW but she has yet to want to ride when it is cold enough to use

I think there are subtle differences but I have been very happy the 3 seasons I have owned my warm N Safe gear. Like the fact that the controller turns off when I forget to do it.

I don't know how pertinant my response will be, but I have never been let down by my Gerbings full jacket, for both my wife and myself..
Hers is the micro wire technology, mine is older school circa mid 2000's era,
Frankly, until you can tell me of some unknown system where the electricity to run the heating elements from the bike is done wirelessly, I find it a bit redundant to complain about the controller being a wired component, and unacceptable compared to a wireless thing.. let's face it, there is a wire from the bike to the jacket, no matter what, and if the controller is inline, what's the dealeo?
I clip the ulse controller onto my Stich, and it stays there, and I don't have to wonder where I stuck it to find and use it, or even loose it, when I'm rollkng... with gloves... in the rain...

I'm always open to new gear, but sometimes new ain't foolproof.

Ymmv...

I also have a Gerbings full jacket and with our Pacific NW weather of cold and rain, this is the next best thing to riding year round. I bought the jacket at the same time as my Gerbings gloves. I think just these 2 items (jacket and glove) is probably all you need in most rideable conditions most of the year. Bear in mind, I wear a good base-layer either t-shirt or long sleeve, then the heated jacket, then my Aerostitch jacket which provides the outer element protection. Given I'm on a C14 with a fair amount of weather protection, this is the best combination of keeping warm and not worrying about the biting cold as your ride progresses.

A year later I followed up with heated socks which if you're riding even more is close to a warm blanket over the body no matter what boots you're using. Initially the first 2 years I was using a wired setup which don't get me wrong is great, but as a techy and the recent release of wireless products, I tried Gerbings (now Gyde) wireless and I didn't have to venture of setting up my C14 for a wired route. Now I just velcro'd the wireless controller on the bars and can control everything on the bars/dash similar to heated grips.

I would check out Venture Heat as well. I tried some of their gear a few years ago at the motorcycle show and I fully plan to buy it. I just haven't gotten around to buying it yet. Gear hard wires to the bike and all the pieces (gloves, jacket/vest, pants and insoles) can be plugged into each other for power. I can't speak on more than me trying it on, but it is another company to look into.

Well, I was hoping for more input....but I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Warm and Safe.

Ended-up talking myself into the GEN4 (carbon fiber element) and the Waterproof option, along with the  Hardmount Dual Controller.

According to the owner whom I spoke with on the phone: the Gen4 model heats up much quicker, more evenly, and more consistently than the previous "technology", which he likened to that of Electric Blankets that's been used for many decades.
To me, such an investment DEMANDED the latest technology....such was my logic to part my bank account with a sizeable quantity of Quatloos.  :mad:

http://www.warmnsafe.com/waterproof-mens-heated-liner-black-or-grey/

http://www.warmnsafe.com/dual-remote-mounted-heat-troller/

I had my reasons for going with the Waterproof Model (non-goretex Jacket) and also part time duty under my Motoport, but I certainly didn't want to spend as much as i did. 
There ARE cheaper systems out there, however, I felt confident that WNS was a reputable company that has been building and pioneering new technologies (and there aren't many!) in this segment.

I'll post up pics and opinions when I get it installed and tested.

Feel free to keep posting up info for other people to benefit.

gr

Attachments

• WNSgen4WP.png
    WNSgen4WP.png
    279.5 KB · Views: 163
  • WNS troller.jpg
    WNS troller.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 016-coax-panel-mount-3__97421.1329357309.1280.1280.jpg
    016-coax-panel-mount-3__97421.1329357309.1280.1280.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 137
Good Choice, you wont be disappointed. I have the same set up with the addition of the Ultimate Touring Men's Heated Gloves. I have commuted to work 30-50 mins at highway speeds in single digits temps.

Attachments

• ice.jpg
    ice.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 192
I also have the Gerbings full jacket and love it.  My gerbings gloves, not as much.  They work well, but I went with the leather and sometimes my hands sweat.  I was considering some other heated gloves and wear them under my triple digits to wick out the moisture

I went with liners, have the TourMaster Synergy 2.0 Jacket liner and chap liner for the pants, they are thin and fit in my Jacket and under my full leather over pants, I rarely use the chap liners it just does not get cold enough down here in the south that much. I also have the first gear heated gloves and socks, the gloves I use the most....well I did but now I have heated grips so can skip heated gear all together for longer now.

I just use my TourMaster Transition 4 with it's liner and the first gear gloves no power in temps down to 45 degrees. Once it drops below 45 I hook up power to the gloves and take out the regular liner and put in the heated liner and turn it on the lowest setting. Down around 35 I add the leather pants and turn up the jacket liner, then adjust temp controller as needed down to about the mid to low 20's when I add the heated chap liners and heated socks. 16 degrees is the coldest it has gotten where I live now since I have had heated gear, but have ridden in 2 degrees when I lived in Albuquerque with no heated gear, but could barely move with all the layers of stuff and the full snow suit :D That is why once I could afford it I got the heated gear.

Ill just throw this out there
Used a widder vest with gloves for years only reason Im not still using them is over the past 25 or so years the gloves developed a couple of hot spots between the fingers
Bought a gerbings jacket and gloves last fall No problems so far

Install complete, only had a chance to test the Jacket on a brief test ride, so I'll update my impressions after a proper day's ride in the cold.

Just wanted to post a few pics here to illustrate the install, as the only pics I remember being posted were ZG's on a Gerbing troller setup, and those are LONG gone from the photoSUCKit debacle.  :-[

You can see from the pics that I chose to install the two rheostatic controllers on the left side fairing just behind the heated grip controller.  I tried several configurations, and decided on the staggered setup, with one higher on the curved portion of the plastic.  It didn't end up being perfect, but i'm not displeased.
The main goal is to be CERTAIN that there is enough room BEHIND the plastic to accommodate the wiring, and this was optimal.
The two controllers and LED's lights are modulated via the shown box which I mounted on heavy duty velcro just inside that same upper fairing piece, and ran power via dc aux cords to my fuze block, that is incidentally mounted right next to this area.  Plenty of space!

It was recommended by the Warm and Safe owner, that the main power hook up to the Jacket feed, be DIRECT to the battery, and this was run through the battery compartment, and out the lower opening in the frame, that also passes the main loom connections to the rear of the bike.
I ran that DC connection point to the left side rear fairing, and drilled (a rather LARGE 3/4") hole in the fairing.
Again, placement of this hole was CRITICAL in order to not interfere with the sub frame, and still have enough clearance for the rather rigid plug adapters.  I also left room to add another of these plugs in the future, if I decide to add a circuit for a pillion.

Overall pleased with the install.  Its' clean and functional.
I'll report back on the jacket and overall functionality.

* I had a VERY good experience with Warm and Safe, and really appreciated ordering directly from a US based manufacturer.  Instructions were very clear, and shipping and ordering were terrific!*
I'll likely order a pair heated pants-liners in the future, as my system is all set to accommodate more gear.

gr

Attachments

• WnS2.jpg
    WnS2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 194
  • WnS4.jpg
    WnS4.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 201
  • WnS1.jpg
    WnS1.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 205
  • WnS3.jpg
    WnS3.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 205
Inner Fairing Installation of rheostatic controller.

LED lights for rheostatic controls were Hot-Glued on the inside of the fairing to keep
them in place.

Attachments

• WnS5.jpg
    WnS5.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 199
  • WnS6.jpg
    WnS6.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 197
Thanks for the Kudos GUys!

**Quick update**

I had a chance to do a two-day ride to West Virginia last week.
Temps ranged from 60 degf down to 28 in the mtns.
Very pleased with the WnS Jacket!  Even when I was at my coldest, I never had to
turn the troller past 75% to stay warm, and even then, only for a few minutes.
Like other reviews I read, the best performance of the jacket is achieved by one thin layer under the jacket, and another tighter fitting "compression" shirt OVER the jacket to keep the warming elements closer to the body.  This gives a more even heating coverage, and fewer hotspots.  At lower settings, the heat is barely perceptible and feels more like your body is simply warm and comfortable.  Amazing.
I do intend to add a pair pant liners, and perhaps sock and glove liners.  Riding into lower temps would be easy with a full set of liners.

A few minor complaints:
1. Order the snuggest fit you can tolerate, and be careful of the sizing guides.  I originally ordered a Med, and was at the upper limit of that range 42 chest, 34 waist, 35 sleeve. I had to return for a Large and it fit me perfectly.
2. The main zipper is not the same quality (waterproof version) as the sleeves and pockets.
Mine sticks or snags EVERYTIME, and is anything but a one-handed operation.

Fantastic customer service, and great product. I will continue to buy!

gr

Good advice on the compression garment over the heated gear.  If the compression garment has a hood, it will also keep the back of your neck warm. 

Thanks for the update!!!  I rode this saturday with the local 'polar bear' club.  Temps in the 30s with some residual rain/moisture.  I think I will pull the trigger on the warm and safe glove, and controller. 

I'd really like to see someone from COG approach the owner for a forum sponsorship.

I know the overall group think of our collective is "budget minded" in comparison to the BMW and ADV sets,
but the ADVRIDER (*hint-hint*) site does get a referral discount from WnS.

There's no reason we shouldn't have that type of relationship with a US Based company as well.  :great:

Anybody in the COG hierarchy listening out there??  :)

gr

Thought I'd give this thread a bump, since fall is approaching.....

I was actually searching for a newer outer layer jacket for my lady pillion for fall/winter/spring, and simply decided that buying a heated waterproof jacket liner and gloves, was a better value overall.
http://www.warmnsafe.com/65-80-watt-gen-wp-womens-heated-liner/
http://www.warmnsafe.com/heated-glove-liners-12v/

I did opt for the lower wattage jacket, just to be easier on the overall load of the electrical system -- and well, it was on sale.  :rotflmao:

I still highly recommend Warm-n-Safe as the US based source for high quality products, and great service, made by people who ride and make gear for those of us that do as well.

The top of the line stuff ain't cheap, but it should last a lifetime.

I opted for the wireless heatroller for the pillion this time, and will likely velcro that to one of my bags for ease of use, and retention.
http://www.warmnsafe.com/dual-remote-control-heat-troller/

Be warm and dry, my friends.  :great:

gr

Attachments

• Remote Troller.jpg
    Remote Troller.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Ladies Jacket.jpg
    Ladies Jacket.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Glove Liners.jpg
    Glove Liners.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 143
I use that wireless controller with my store brand Cyclegear jacket. I had to put a hole in the pocket so I could connect, but I reinforced the hole with black duct tape and it "disappears" into the pocket. Like that controller! I velcro'd it to my clutch cover on the C-14 and the  dash "shelf" on the Wing.

Reminded me to get my Warm N Safe out and get ready. Seems a bit excessive when the trip from Va back to IN this weekend was insufferably hot and I had to use the evap vest to make it through but it is fast upon us and I hate those 50 degree mornings in my Motoport Screen Door...it's cooooold

freebird6 said:
Reminded me to get my Warm N Safe out and get ready. Seems a bit excessive when the trip from Va back to IN this weekend was insufferably hot and I had to use the evap vest to make it through but it is fast upon us and I hate those 50 degree mornings in my Motoport Screen Door...it's cooooold

Man, I hear you on that!
Still sweltering down in the southeast.  I'm ready for cooler temps!!
Hit 95 in SC on the way to RWTW.  :-[

gr

As cold weather approacheth, I'm going for a fall leaf ride in the Smokies this weekend, and dusting-off my heated gear for me and Ms. Pillion.

Thought i'd bump this thread for cold riding relevance, and let everybody know that Warm and Safe is having a closeout sale on certain models that are going EOL.
I picked up a set of heated pants for lady-pillion for half price -- she and her cold buns will be pleased, as the temps are going to be in the 30's-40's at elevation. :oops:

To date, I own heated jackets AND pants for me and LP, as well as heated socks for me, and gloves for her.

It works almost TOO well, and if you want to extend your riding season, this stuff cannot be beat!

stay warm and safe, my friends.
gr

Last edited:
I was looking at the temp this morning as I got up and thinking it is time to pull out my heated gear. It isn't that I can't find warm enough non-electric gear. It's that the electric heated gear allows you to adjust to a wide range of temperatures with the turn of the dial.

Chris

Agreed.
And when I go up to elevation, the temps always drop down by 15-20 degrees.
This stuff is a life saver in cooler temps.
And like everyone else before me, i'll say: I can't believe I waited SO LONG to buy heated gear! :cry:

The one caution I keep in the back of my mind, is the electric heated gear can fail. And then you're screwed. My jacket for instance, has virtually no insulation in it. Without the electric heat, it would be miserable. I lost power to my left glove once at 25F, and it was so incredibly bitterly cold making the 25 minutes home that day.

Chris

And Ironically, I lost power to MY system this past weekend.
My passenger was fine.....lucky for me.

I have yet to figure it out, but I suspect a bad connection, or maybe a non-synced remote.

Fortunately, it wasn't too cold. I ALWAYS carry extra warm clothing, JUST in case.

Good point though Chris.

The weak point seems to be the jacket cord where it meets the gloves and the cord going into the jacket.

Chris

And Ironically, I lost power to MY system this past weekend.
My passenger was fine.....lucky for me.

I have yet to figure it out, but I suspect a bad connection, or maybe a non-synced remote.

Fortunately, it wasn't too cold. I ALWAYS carry extra warm clothing, JUST in case.

Good point though Chris.
Interesting. I wear the Warm n Safe waterproof pretty much as a rule below 50. I don't usually have to turn it on...yesterday 46 degrees for a hundred and a half miles..... but without it the jacket keeps the wind off and has some insulating quality with a t shirt and the long sleeve COG shirt underneath. I should turn it on today. Trip down to Indy Trader Joe's with overcast....need to check the controller battery and jacket as it gets colder.

I second the opinion if your heated gear fails when you need it your in a world of hurt.
My Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket liner failed on a early winter Utah trip a couple of years ago. I froze.
It turned out it was the connector from the controller to the jacket. I replaced that connector with what is called a Jones Plug.
I think those connectors get damaged when you forget your plugged in and get off the bike and rip the connection apart, which I am prone to do. Still.
Nick
2014 C-14

Nick, what exactly is a "Jones Plug"? I tried looking it up, and it appears there are lots and lots of "Jones Plugs".

I've had my connectors fail, but always at the sleeve end going to the gloves. My guess is the wiring fails at that point from the frequent bending. I did a repair using a spare harness and splicing the wires in. I'd love to know a better way...before it fails again. Because it will.

Chris

Oddly enough, my heat-troller failed on my last ride.
Fortunately, it wasn't THAT cold.
I suspect it's a fuse, or perhaps something came loose to the connectors under the hood.
Or worst case: mice have invaded and chewed.
I DO know, it's not a connector in the jacket/pants, or my connection to the battery.
HAS to be the Troller....as I have a remote(wireless) troller that was able to power my gear when I used that unit.

It just got too cold to dig-into the tupperware, so it'll have to wait.
I'll report back.

*That Jone's connector is the jankiest thing I've ever seen.* o_O

I started out with A Widder vest and gloves in the 90s, they still work but about ten years ago I decided I wanted a full jacket and went with the Gerbings jacket, gloves and a dual controller. One sleeve in the original jacket failed and when I sent it back for warranty work I bought a Widder micro wire jacket. It has turned out to be great and Gerbings fixed the original jacket at no cost.