• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Heated seat controller??? For a Saddlemen

garageman

The 2012 I just purchased has a Saddlemen seat on it that I am having recovered. The seat has connectors for separate front and rear heat but have never been hooked up. I OHM'ed them out and they seam OK and the larger front pad has a few more OHM's as I would suspect. I need ideas for a controller or do people just use two on/off switches. The Seth Laam seat on my Beemer has high/low switches and By Goldwing of years past had a variable controller.Any ideas or pictures/links appreciated.

A really frugal way to do this is with a small PWM(pulse width modulator). You could install one or two depending on the amount of control you want.

This is the one that I installed for the heated grips, since discontinued.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016EX265S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon has a boat load of these.

I also use similar for 12 volt fans in the camper van.

Caveats: Virtually none of these are water proof. They do produce a small amount of heat, depending on electrical load. Not to worry too much as your intended use would be when it's cold out.

I mounted the main unit in the fairing of the 650 Versys and kind of wrapped it with a piece of plastic cut from a milk jug and zipped tied around it. Shields it from water entrance and is open enough to allow ventilation. The remote is mounted in a sheltered area on the dash. It's been trouble free for 57k miles and three years. It was less than $11 when I bought it.

I don't know if it would work for your application (no experience with Saddlemen hardware) but I am using 2 of these for my DIY seat heaters on the SV1000 I'm building over this winter. I'm mounting to a rigid dashboard (through holes for the wires and silicone adhesive to mount/seal) and they seem quite waterproof and very easy to use with gloves:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Level-5Color-LED-Heated-Vest-Gloves-Knee-Pad-Temperature-Controller-Switch-2-5A/312427618420?epid=5028059224&hash=item48be232074%3Ag%3Ar48AAOSwxtVcPCiG&LH_BIN=1

PeterL said:
I don't know if it would work for your application (no experience with Saddlemen hardware) but I am using 2 of these for my DIY seat heaters on the SV1000 I'm building over this winter. I'm mounting to a rigid dashboard (through holes for the wires and silicone adhesive to mount/seal) and they seem quite waterproof and very easy to use with gloves:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Level-5Color-LED-Heated-Vest-Gloves-Knee-Pad-Temperature-Controller-Switch-2-5A/312427618420?epid=5028059224&hash=item48be232074%3Ag%3Ar48AAOSwxtVcPCiG&LH_BIN=1

Those look spiffy.

I called Saddlemen seats. I asked how much to re-cover their seat and the prices was reasonable but turn around time was 3 weeks or more.
I asked about controllers for the heated seat and it was if I was speaking Farsi. The gal I talked to was no help. I have since determined the wiring out of the seat is a match for a Saddlemen seat as seen on the old web here. I will see if I can get controllers from them.
the little pad switches mentioned above might work but I do not know how many amps the seat heaters draw.

garage monster said:
I called Saddlemen seats. I asked how much to re-cover their seat and the prices was reasonable but turn around time was 3 weeks or more.
I asked about controllers for the heated seat and it was if I was speaking Farsi. The gal I talked to was no help. I have since determined the wiring out of the seat is a match for a Saddlemen seat as seen on the old web here. I will see if I can get controllers from them.
the little pad switches mentioned above might work but I do not know how many amps the seat heaters draw.

Measure the resistance of the heating element(s) and use Ohm's Law to get the amount of current draw. Easy peasy.

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator