• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Helibars adjustable handlebars?

hammerash

One of the connies I'm looking at has the adjustable helibars. I can't see bike cause too far away. Pictures I've seen, the look of the brake, clutch hose extensions isn't great. I could live with that or get longer length hoses. But is the comfort that much better? Unfortunately the original bars aren't availabe to swap back. If they were I could compare and sell off one I didn't want. So advantages and disadvatages, if any, of the helibars adjustable bars. I'm 54, 6'1" coming from zx-9r

I bought a used set of HeliBars for my 2010, have not installed them yet though, still in the box. You can adjust them to make them closer, or farther from you as well as adjust the angle of the grip end of the bars....they would seem to be able to adjust to any position you would need. I'm 61, 5'9", I have 1.5 riser blocks under the stock bars right now and it's still right at the edge of being where I need them, I wish the bars were just a bit closer. The only part about putting the HeliBars on that I think I'll have trouble with is getting the left hand heated grip off the old bar and glued back on the HeliBar...could get messy. I was advised to do the install on a warm to hot day when the grip is warm and flexible.

I had a set on my c10 and what a difference it made!

So when i got my c14 i put a set of riser blicks on it. It was better but not perfect. I then ordered up a set of set back plates from AST, again they helped but still nit perfect so i got a set of the wedges. These were amazing but i still was looking for more adjustability like my helibars did in my c10. So i waited and when a set came up on the forum i snapped them up...

Now its perfect!!! U don't even notice the brake and clutch extensions . But u could get extension lines from Galfer or Speigler..

The Helibars are hard to find and were expensive. They are a very nice upgrade.

If you didn't like them they will sell in a flash. OEM handle bars are very reasonably priced if you wanted to go back to those.

Edited to add: I am reference the C10 version.

Last edited:
I do think i read somewhere about putting LSL kit and then whatever tubular handlebars you want. The person doing it wanted connie more crotch rocket like so wanted low bars.

One of the connies I'm looking at has the adjustable helibars. I can't see bike cause too far away. Pictures I've seen, the look of the brake, clutch hose extensions isn't great. I could live with that or get longer length hoses. But is the comfort that much better? Unfortunately the original bars aren't availabe to swap back. If they were I could compare and sell off one I didn't want. So advantages and disadvatages, if any, of the helibars adjustable bars. I'm 54, 6'1" coming from zx-9r
I put HeliBars on my C-14. It was either that or sell the bike, because the risers just did not bring the bars back enough for a comfortable riding position. With the HeliBars and highway pegs, I can ride comfortably in an upright position. In the twisties, I still can easily lean forward, with my feet on the stock pegs. The HeliBars are very expensive, but they are great. They made a huge difference for me. I also had to put a taller windshield on to push the airflow higher for the upright seating position.

I have the HeliBars on my 08 and love them. Before I had them the stock bars would make my wrists hurt. I'm 6'3" and have wide shoulders, these bars are very adjustable. I can now ride all day in comfort. I would get longer length hoses because I didn't like the way I say the extension hoses expand when pressing the brakes or clutch. They're expensive but worth it.

....im feeling guilty, does the fsm mention a what interval the brake and clutch hoses should be replaced. Like they do for the radiator hoses...

The FSM says 4 years or 30K miles on both brake and clutch hoses (and all rubber parts in those hydraulic systems), and 4 years is what most OEMs recommend. Though keep in mind they have to account for folks storing the bike outside where it's exposed to UV all the time, hotter and colder climates, etc... So your mileage may vary depending on how you store and maintain the bike. But the OEM doesn't want people crashing because of a failure, so they call for fairly short intervals despite them usually lasting much longer in the real world. Most folks I know just swap for stainless braided lines at some point before 10 years and call it good.

As far as I can tell, it's all stock on my 2011, and my C14 stops better than my 3-year old bike that weighs a couple hundred pounds less.

They also say you should replace rubber hoses on cars every 4-6 years but I have had multiple vehicles with 15+ year old brake lines and never had a failure. Of course in most newer vehicles, you have split brake systems, so a failure on one hydraulic circuit would still allow for ~50% braking power. I'd be a bit more worried about brake failure on a bike, because if the hose bursts you're spraying brake fluid all over the tire and I'd hate to come into a corner hot with only the rear brake functioning, unexpectedly!

1643131300553.png

@Konehead34 I have the AST risers installed. I have the pull back adapters yet to install. How much more closer did you get with the heli bars over the pullback adapters?

-Brian

I know sit upright. With the set back plates from ast, 2" risers and the wedges(wedges really affect the angle of the handgrips imho) i got pretty close to perfect. But not close enough. Photo with me on bike is helibarred. Other pic is risers,wedges and set back set up...

Thats as close as i can get showing the proportions..

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG-20180408-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20180408-WA0000.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 157
@Konehead34 I LOVE the color of your bike. I didn't even know that was a possible color... What year is your bike?

I have nothing to add on the handlebar discussion, but :love: that orange...

Thanks , its a 2010.... it was blue, but i have a thing for the color orange and one of the best was on a Corvette. Sooooo, corvette atomic orange. Doesnt hurt having a buddy who builds bikes and has his own spray equipment. 4 days of scuff prep on my part to save some bucks, and he shot the magic.

I wanted it to look completely stock, so i replaced all the stickers and labeling. Had a couple guys going at the 2016 national at Helen ga. Told them it was a test mule for factory response to the color....

Pic.is from that national parked next to my buddies 2015...

Attachments

• IMG-20160722-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20160722-WA0001.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 126