• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello everyone

pawbel13618

Hello I'm 64; have been riding 50 years and have owned several bikes. Most recently a '16 Aprilia Tuono and an '06 Honda ST1300. I've decided to replace the ST with a Connie; the Kawi engine has been calling me of late :). I've had really good interactions with two members here via PM and I feel I've found a great forum. The bike I'm leaning towards is a silver '08 with 16k miles that looks great in the pictures. $4000. I can't decide whether to do that or take the plunge and get a '15+.
I look forward to reading everything I can find here; looks like a super resource.

Attachments

• IMG_2294 (1).jpg
    IMG_2294 (1).jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 132
  • STella.jpg
    STella.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 125
Welcome to the forum! I have an 08 C14 that has been a super bile for me the last 11 years! I have 137K pleasurable miles on it and I highly recommend one! Been very reliable! The 15+ bikes are all great too! Really not a bad year out there. The 08 seems like a pretty good value at 4K with so few miles. Is it stock or are there a few farkles included. I wish you luck on whatever you end up buying. You will enjoy it! :D

Welcome to COG and the forum. Lots to read up on between the forum, web pages, and member library. Best of luck on your purchase.. Try to go to a club event this year... it's a great way to meet other club members.

Thanks guys looking forward to warmth in the spring and hopefully starting to put the pandemic behind us. Motomaniac, the bike I'm looking at is stock except exhaust, which I'll probably switch back to OEM. I prefer quiet and I'm sure it's got plenty of pep :)

Welcome to COG and best to you on your quest for the bike! I encourage you to get attend/participate in some of your local-area events and join us at the National Rally at Lake Guntersville (AL) in mid June.

I like your forum name Road Runner lol. I certainly look forward to meeting some members. I've been really impressed with this forum.

Welcome. Nice whips you got there. I have put many miles on the ST 11 and 13's, buttery smooth machines but my blood is still green.
Go find a nice used 2015 so I can be envious green.

Thank you. It has a dual meaning. Besides the obvious relating to motorcycling I am an avid long distance runner for nearly 45 years now.

Welcome. Nice whips you got there. I have put many miles on the ST 11 and 13's, buttery smooth machines but my blood is still green.
Nice to see a veteran runner here. My running days stopped when some idjut pulled out in front of me. 20141020_105341.jpeg20141020_104647.jpeg

I am thinking of replacing the 2013 I replaced that one with....really like the Green. Not sure I am willing to pay the price but hoping to find a gently used Green one in the next couple of years.

Yeah I took two long trips on the ST last year and it does everything fine; just a little milktoast lol. My first 2 street bikes were Kawis and I never forget that :) How would you compare freeway speed buzz Concours vs ST?
Thank you! Love the cartoons.
Nice to see a veteran runner here. My running days stopped when some idjut pulled out in front of me. View attachment 28628View attachment 28629

I am thinking of replacing the 2013 I replaced that one with....really like the Green. Not sure I am willing to pay the price but hoping to find a gently used Green one in the next couple of years.
Oh my that's quite the get off. I also have a Yamaha Zuma scooter and was hit from behind once. Not pleasant. Glad you survived.

I don't notice any buzz on the 14, if god forbid I get stuck on straight roads and am cruising about 80-90, nothing that bugs me. I do have Grip Puppies, love them so I put them on my ZX-10 too! Nothing beats the fun factor of the ZG14 with a mild pipe and a ECU tune to make it fun!! I still hardly find myself in 6th, 4/5 is so fun on most roads for this fat Ninja. I am taking it to my first track day of 2021 just for kicks.

I've been researching a bit and it comes down to how bad the heat issue on the legs on the 08-09 models is. I've read conflicting verdicts. The bike I found locally looks to be in really good shape, albeit only pictures at this point. I'm driving out to look at it Thursday. The price is cheap enough that I could add cruise and a trunk and be on my way. The '14 in the classifieds on this forum is beautiful and has my attention as well.
I don't notice any buzz on the 14, if god forbid I get stuck on straight roads and am cruising about 80-90, nothing that bugs me
Thanks good to know. The Connie would be a tourer as the Tuono is my weekend fling, so I'd spend quite a bit of quality time with her on highways.

Kudos to dragunslayer and Konehead34 for their help via PM (y)

Last edited:
Heat. I have a 09. It might be better to have a 10 or newer with the redesigned fairing. The 10 up fairings push the hot air out past your legs. The area the heat that hits the feet on a 98 and 9 was blocked off.

So I wear Danner insolated boots. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I also wear pants not shorts.

The only real complaint I have had with the heat issue was going to joint rally between the NW and SW areas in N California. It was HOT! If I drove throgh shade, water temp would go down bar. My feet were fine, it was the hot radiator air hitting my legs. I bought this bike in Dec 2008 brandy new. This one incident has been my only real heat complaint.

There used to be a member who made foam inserts to block the hot air coming from the fairing on to the feet on E Bay. . Might have been a good idea but since the bits took care of it, no need.

Also seems like someone made a clear plastic fairing extensions for the 8 and 9 fairings. I figured I would have those busted off within the week after installation. But like I said there has only been 1 time I actually voiced the 09 was hot.

Besides, the 8's and 9's are better looking IMHO. Faster too.

Thanks Tim R. I saw those inserts on Ebay for $50 but worried it would cause the bike to run hotter. Looks like the upper vents in the 10+ are larger I thought maybe to make up for the bottom openings being blocked off?

The vents just arent larger, the fairings direct the HOT air away from the rear of the bike/rider in a different manner. Thats why from 2010 the body work hasnt changed, other then the color.

The redesigned fairing to keep the heat off your legs was the deal breaker for me to buy a 2010. I rode a friends 09 on a mild summer day and knew that heat on the legs would be a problem I didn't want to deal with for a long time. The 2010 also has heated grips which help out a lot in the colder months.

Good input thanks guys. My ST has heated grips and yes they're really nice to have. I'm down to an '08 locally and a '16 about 500 miles away in Texas. This is exciting! I've always been on on the fence type of guy and trying to change that a bit. The '16 (8k miles) would be jumping in with both feet :)

The Foam insolation I was talkin about on eBay is for the 08 and 09's. In 2010 the faring was redesigned which eliminated the heat on feet and legs.

Like I said with my 09 there has only been 1 time I complained about the heat. This is with 13 years of ownership this coming December. And I have been to KS several times from WA St in the summer.

Good input thanks guys. My ST has heated grips and yes they're really nice to have. I'm down to an '08 locally and a '16 about 500 miles away in Texas. This is exciting! I've always been on on the fence type of guy and trying to change that a bit. The '16 (8k miles) would be jumping in with both feet :)
You noted:
  • 16K miles on the 08’; how many miles on the 16’ ?
  • $4K for the 08’, what about the 16’?
Mileage - am a bit curious to the ride history of the 08’, really low miles. This can be good or bad or both depending on circumstances. With your experience from motorcycling you know what can happen to a machine that sits too long.. Tons of miles over sitting still for years at a time.

You noted:
  • 16K miles on the 08’; how many miles on the 16’ ?
  • $4K for the 08’, what about the 16’?
Mileage - am a bit curious to the ride history of the 08’, really low miles. This can be good or bad or both depending on circumstances. With your experience from motorcycling you know what can happen to a machine that sits too long.. Tons of miles over sitting still for years at a time.
Good point about the '08 possibly sitting a lot. I went and looked at it; private 2nd owner; it had more scratches than you would think at that mileage. Makes me wonder if one or both of the owners were a little sloppy and maybe sloppy about servicing as well? There was a bunch of snow on the ground so a test ride was out of the question. My ST sits quite a bit so I get how it can be, although the ‘08 is the current owners only bike.
The '16 has 8k miles and they're asking $8350; I've offered 8 and waiting a couple of days for an answer. The dealer is in Texas so after last week's weather fiasco I'll be patient.
Thanks again for all the input guys. I hope this great forum is a reflection of how good Connies are; I've never ridden one.

Last edited: