• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello from Texas

Mahaflac

Greetings. From Jacksonville Texas. Second Concourse. 2008 and now 2014. Been riding for 44 years. I have ridden just about everything (hyperbole) and just about every style of bike. I much prefer the sports touring bikes and the Connie gets the nod this time. Looking forward to making it uniquely mine.

1. Risers ordered
2. Ram mount installed
3. Rear box ordered
4. ECU flash on the list
5. Looking for an aftermarket seat option
6. Tank guards

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Greetings. From Jacksonville Texas. Second Concourse. 2008 and now 2014. Been riding for 44 years. I have ridden just about everything (hyperbole) and just about every style of bike. I much prefer the sports touring bikes and the Connie gets the nod this time. Looking forward to making it uniquely mine.

1. Risers ordered
2. Ram mount installed
3. Rear box ordered
4. ECU flash on the list
5. Looking for an aftermarket seat option
6. Tank guards

What am I missing?
  1. I second the exhaust suggestion.
    • I went full exhaust with AreaP and appreciate the opened up top end.
  2. We have a lot of fun with the Healtech Quickshifter.
    • Makes for easy, repeated smooth, clutchless up-shifting, sporty riding without need to time shifts, rev match or have perfect technique.
    • Essential if you will be riding spirited with 2-up, zero loss of momentum between shifts so not a chance of a head bump and more comfort for rider.
    • It’s indescribably fun to just grab the throttle and effortlessly just click up on the shifter. Whether light throttle or WOT or anywhere in-between works the same.
  3. Windshield - factory is a little short and narrow for long days in the wind.
  4. Rear suspension is sprung on the lighter side and definitely not fit 2-up average size NAM riders.
    • We chose Penske double-adjust shock, nice smoother ride.
    • Some have stock shock rebuilt with heavier spring.
  5. LED headlights, stock are ok but LED a good improvement
  6. Lots of good tire suggestions on the site. Stock Bridgestones leave a lot to be desired
  7. Throttle lock or Cruise control.
  8. Radiator guard is a good option
  9. Rather than replacing seat we use the Airhawk seat cushions, they are removable, very user friendly, adjustable in firmness and keep your backside rested and cool. Also cheaper than a seat.
  10. You’ll likely be due some valve maintenance soon, over-sized Oring for the exhaust cam sensor (if not already done but unless PO said something you won’t know) - this sensor over time leaks onto the header and front engine casing.
Welcome to the group. Have fun - any questions on this list or in general hit me up. I know there’s more but this is what has stuck out for us.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

1. I second the exhaust suggestion.
    • I went full exhaust with AreaP and appreciate the opened up top end.
  2. We have a lot of fun with the Healtech Quickshifter.
    • Makes for easy, repeated smooth, clutchless up-shifting, sporty riding without need to time shifts, rev match or have perfect technique.
    • Essential if you will be riding spirited with 2-up, zero loss of momentum between shifts so not a chance of a head bump and more comfort for rider.
    • It’s indescribably fun to just grab the throttle and effortlessly just click up on the shifter. Whether light throttle or WOT or anywhere in-between works the same.
  3. Windshield - factory is a little short and narrow for long days in the wind.
  4. Rear suspension is sprung on the lighter side and definitely not fit 2-up average size NAM riders.
    • We chose Penske double-adjust shock, nice smoother ride.
    • Some have stock shock rebuilt with heavier spring.
  5. LED headlights, stock are ok but LED a good improvement
  6. Lots of good tire suggestions on the site. Stock Bridgestones leave a lot to be desired
  7. Throttle lock or Cruise control.
  8. Radiator guard is a good option
  9. Rather than replacing seat we use the Airhawk seat cushions, they are removable, very user friendly, adjustable in firmness and keep your backside rested and cool. Also cheaper than a seat.
  10. You’ll likely be due some valve maintenance soon, over-sized Oring for the exhaust cam sensor (if not already done but unless PO said something you won’t know) - this sensor over time leaks onto the header and front engine casing.
Welcome to the group. Have fun - any questions on this list or in general hit me up. I know there’s more but this is what has stuck out for us.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Any suggestions on a windshield. That is one feature that I am not happy with.

Valve maintenance needs to be done and I am aware of the sensor leak (from my 2008.)

A lot of this is on my list and I’m looking forward to hanging on to this bike for a while.

I’ll look into those. Are they in the classifieds? I think they sold. I would have bought those at that price.
Brand new set of Heli Bars for sale $350

They are in the c14 Discussion section under accessories.
They should be moved to the classifieds.
HTH

Dale

Valve maintenance needs to be done and I am aware of the sensor leak (from my 2008.)

A lot of this is on my list and I’m looking forward to hanging on to this bike for a while.
2008-2014 California Scientific Large Wide is what I am using.

2015+ Will fit your machine but two things:
  1. There is a slot cut for the flapper door that you probably do not have.
  2. The windshield will break if you exceed 130 mph often - I’ve blown up 3 before going to the stronger 2008-2014 model. The strength in the earlier year model design comes from the vent hole being much smaller and designed differently.
There are other good windshields out there such as MRA X-Creen or adjustable brackets such as the MadStad adjustable windshield bracket and also some bolt on deflectors.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Mra seems to be the popular choice, national.cycles V stream is good, I use it with an mra wing on the top to help control buffetting...

Hello again Lloyd. After I saw you had a 2014, I had to get the RED blurb in there quickly. (to stir up the disbelievers)
They just don't understand that it's not all about Fastest. It's about Superiority. <evil grin>

From your introduction, I know that you've ridden enough bikes to know; the first thing you need to do to adjust your new bike's comfort is "nothing".
ie; Get to know it, "first" add the things you want for your riding style, and then adjust the comfort things.

The list if items you've ordered are more about riding style needs. (to get the bike ready for the road) And I agree to all.
I have 3 suggestions'
1) I'd move the Flash up to on your list as I feel it's the single best thing you can do for a C-14.
The Flash is more for smoothness/torque, than faster. (But it will also be faster)
2) Don't worry about a seat/suspension/final handlebar location until you get a chance to see what you want, and what others are doing.
Best way to do that is to do some riding.
NOTE: There are some Texas/Arkansas rides in the spring.
So,,, Come ride with us!
3) Always brag about the RED.
The guys with inferior-colored bikes will try to convince you that their bikes are as good as RED.
Nahhhhh!! 🤣 😁😂

Ride safe, Ted

PS: On the 2014, the Linked Brakes were not as smooth as they are in later models. ie; Their a bit abrupt.
Best way to adjust for this is, don't touch the rear brake.
Learn to ride with the front brake only, (the bike will apply the back as needed) and the rear engagement is as smooth as glass.

I use the MRA Vario on my bike.

Last edited:

Maybe. From what little I've learned, it sorta kinda depends on what the problem is with your current one. If it's the so called "buffeting" then I can't help..as I'm still not sure what that is...either I've never experienced it or my helmet shape (just a Nolan N90, nothing special) isn't prone to it. Only thing I would call buffeting is when there is a gusty cross wind that tries to rip my head off sideways then stops and then tries again and again. I doubt there is any helmet, windshield, or windshield accessory that can help with that....other than making a turn at the next corner and head into or away from the direction of the gusts.

I normally keep my windshield in the lowest position with a nice even flow of air across my helmet. However when in rain, cold, or just wanting a little more quiet for a phone call...then when I raised the stock shield it was like there was an invisible pillion person pushing my head forward and down. Twenty minutes of that had my neck muscles screaming and the shield had to go down or I stop riding. If that is your problem, "back pressure" is what I believe it's usually called, I can offer a suggestion.

To get to the answer quickly, I've found two shields that adequately addressed that problem for me. The AeroFlow and the stock 2015 and up Kawasaki windscreen with the opening vent. I don't think the AeroFlow is made for the C14 at this time but may be available used.

The other forum had a try a windshield for free program that had two sets of shields, upon request, going from member to member, a set of large and a set of medium. I tried the medium set (I'm only 5'6") that had a Cee Bailey, an AeroFLow, and a Cal Sci. The AeroFlow was the only one of the three that greatly reduced the back pressure when raised compared to the stock shield. The AeroFlow was however kinda weirdly shaped and in my opinion didn't look good on the C14...that and the price made me keep looking. I tried the MRA tinted short screen with the two vents, it was the best looking screen I tried but alas it still had back pressure when raised. I also tried the Madstad tilting brackets which seemed promising but I couldn't find the right angle to minimize back pressure so I sold them. Then a very tall friend purchased a new C14 (2015-'16?) and wanted to get a larger screen and he sold me his stock vented screen at a very nice price. My dash shelf configuration makes operating the vent opening difficult while riding so I ride with the vent open all the time even in the cold. With the vent closed and windshield raised I get the exact same annoying/hurtful back pressure that I had with the stock 2010 shield so I want the vent open at all times so my windshield is ready to be raised if needed. I also have a clamp on X-screen spoiler blade at the top but that has no effect on the back pressure, I just have it for a touch more height when the windshield is all the way up (hail hiding 😳). When it's extremely hot, I tip the spoiler blade to scoop more air on my torso and help my water soaked evap. vest work better as between my tank bag and the windshield it doesn't get enough air to work well without the extra air.

Best of luck, like seats, windshields can be a very subjective item especially for different helmets and torso lengths of riders. I got lucky, finally.

Last edited:
Hello again Lloyd. After I saw you had a 2014, I had to get the RED blurb in there quickly. (to stir up the disbelievers)
They just don't understand that it's not all about Fastest. It's about Superiority. <evil grin>

From your introduction, I know that you've ridden enough bikes to know; the first thing you need to do to adjust your new bike's comfort is "nothing".
ie; Get to know it, "first" add the things you want for your riding style, and then adjust the comfort things.

The list if items you've ordered are more about riding style needs. (to get the bike ready for the road) And I agree to all.
I have 3 suggestions'
1) I'd move the Flash up to on your list as I feel it's the single best thing you can do for a C-14.
The Flash is more for smoothness/torque, than faster. (But it will also be faster)
2) Don't worry about a seat/suspension/final handlebar location until you get a chance to see what you want, and what others are doing.
Best way to do that is to do some riding.
NOTE: There are some Texas/Arkansas rides in the spring.
So,,, Come ride with us!
3) Always brag about the RED.
The guys with inferior-colored bikes will try to convince you that their bikes are as good as RED.
Nahhhhh!! 🤣 😁😂

Ride safe, Ted

PS: On the 2014, the Linked Brakes were not as smooth as they are in later models. ie; Their a bit abrupt.
Best way to adjust for this is, don't touch the rear brake.
Learn to ride with the front brake only, (the bike will apply the back as needed) and the rear engagement is as smooth as glass.

I use the MRA Vario on my bike.

Thanks Connie_Rider.

I won’t disagree on the Red but I actually have the Metallic Spark Black. The color Red does have the longest wave length of all colors (fact) in the electromagnetic spectrum. Wavelength and speed are proportionate, so you may be on to something.

Yes. Most of the stuff I have coming is out of necessity. I use the bike to commute and prefer some of those amenities to make the commute more enjoyable. I have been riding long enough to know many of my preferences. The ECU flash will be soon. I would love to catch up on some of the rides in the summer. Work prevents me from getting to far during the Spring.

I won’t disagree on the Red but I actually have the Metallic Spark Black.
YES!
The color Red does have the longest wave length of all colors (fact) in the electromagnetic spectrum. Wavelength and speed are proportionate, so you may be on to something.
Oh great, and you were doing so well up 'til this. Now you've given some tech talk for TED to run with. 😣😖
😖😣

Loving this bike so far. Got the 2” pull back risers installed. This really helped the comfort level for me. I bought a touring seat and really like this as well. Much more comfortable than stock. Got the top box, ram mount, and tank guards installed. All important to helping this become my commuter. Thanks for the suggestions on what all this bike needs.

I’ve owned the ST 1300, Triumph Trophy, 18 Goldwing, V-Storm, all of which are fantastic bikes, but this thing is just fun. Looking forward to the Shoodabeen flash (my 2008 had this) and a couple other things now. Not missing the Voyager at all. Looking forward to some long trips.

Loving this bike so far. Got the 2” pull back risers installed. This really helped the comfort level for me. I bought a touring seat and really like this as well. Much more comfortable than stock. Got the top box, ram mount, and tank guards installed. All important to helping this become my commuter. Thanks for the suggestions on what all this bike needs.

B09DC533-5FA6-472A-9425-BA2A52B3A810.jpeg