• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello new member from Cypress TX

I am Bill and I am glad to meet you all. I am looking forward to riding with you all soon. I have a question concerning my 2020 Concours. 1. my fairing is not fully attached and will not lock up properly. I hear this is a problem shared by many of us. Does anyone have a solution you are willing to share? 2. I am looking at replacing the exhaust and remapping the ECU. I researched and found an exhaust that interest me. AreaP Full exhaust louded by Ivanperformanceproducts.com. The results can be seen in Kawasaki Concours 14 Slip-On Exhaust - Area P :: No Limits (areapnolimits.com) . I have no personal experience with these companies and am hoping some of you may be able to express your experience.

Howdy Bill, welcome to the forum. I'm on the SW side of Houston (Sugar Land area). We rode together on the 4th of July, from Drifter's down to the Buc-ee's at I-10. Was a fun run. Glad we ran into each other.

Yeah, there are a range of options to choose from when it comes to setups once you've committed to removing the factory bazooka. I've found that the BlackWidow (BW) slipon and MRP (Mountain Runner Premium) from SISF (Steve from Shouldabeen Engineering) is a great setup. I'm still running the stock header, which for me is a non-issue because I'm not looking for peak performance at WOT (wide open throttle) on a dyno. Mid-range torque is really where it's at for most of us, as well as keeping the noise level to a livable level for longer runs. I don't have any experience with other tuners or full exhaust kits. I've recently picked up a lightly used 2Bros slipon that seems to be a bit more quiet, and it has a lower pitch than the BW expresses. It does appear to be somewhat more restrictive though, albeit only slightly. Everything is a tradeoff. My BW is available if you want it, for a fair price.

As for the body work, like we talked about I've had the same issue with the painted parts not marrying up with the unpainted bottoms since the day I picked up my 2021 with zero miles from the dealership in March of last year. Has never been 100% right, and the dealership said that's just the way some of them are. And I don't feel like messing around with them enough that I end up breaking off a piece somewhere. I'll live with it. As you saw, my bike is black-on-black anyway so it doesn't just jump right out unless you're looking directly at it.

We're going to need to get the band back together once this blistering heat starts to move on in the weeks ahead. Ted and some of the other guys from H-town metro area will need to schedule something more local. Riding 4.5 hrs to the South Central region fall event might be a challenge to get wifey to buy into, and the Arkansas event a couple weeks before will also be problematic if I can't get wifey and kiddos to go along for the weekend.

Cheers amigo, AB
(you've got my mobile #)

IMG_E6372.JPG

NUCJ5995.JPGDrifter's C14 Run - 4th of July 2022.JPG

Last edited:
I am Bill and I am glad to meet you all. I am looking forward to riding with you all soon. I have a question concerning my 2020 Concours. 1. my fairing is not fully attached and will not lock up properly. I hear this is a problem shared by many of us. Does anyone have a solution you are willing to share? 2. I am looking at replacing the exhaust and remapping the ECU. I researched and found an exhaust that interest me. AreaP Full exhaust louded by Ivanperformanceproducts.com. The results can be seen in Kawasaki Concours 14 Slip-On Exhaust - Area P :: No Limits (areapnolimits.com) . I have no personal experience with these companies and am hoping some of you may be able to express your experience.
Bill welcome to the group. Fit up of plastics sometimes takes a little finessing, trick I have found is tightening up only after as much can be assembled as possible.

I have the Full AreaP exhaust and tuning mentioned. I have no complaints, quality is great, enjoy the performance throughout the RPM range with definite thrill top end being opened up. Sound level has not been an issue for us. With this exhaust we have days as long as 937 miles without any ear issues / headaches, etc. - I do wear ear plugs, my wife chooses not to.

See you around!
Wayne, Carol & Blue

Howdy Bill, welcome to the forum. I'm on the SW side of Houston (Sugar Land area). We rode together on the 4th of July, from Drifter's down to the Buc-ee's at I-10. Was a fun run. Glad we ran into each other.

Yeah, there are a range of options to choose from when it comes to setups once you've committed to removing the factory bazooka. I've found that the BlackWidow (BW) slipon and MRP (Mountain Runner Premium) from SISF (Steve from Shouldabeen Engineering) is a great setup. I'm still running the stock header, which for me is a non-issue because I'm not looking for peak performance at WOT (wide open throttle) on a dyno. Mid-range torque is really where it's at for most of us, as well as keeping the noise level to a livable level for longer runs. I don't have any experience with other tuners or full exhaust kits. I've recently picked up a lightly used 2Bros slipon that seems to be a bit more quiet, and it has a lower pitch than the BW expresses. It does appear to be somewhat more restrictive though, albeit only slightly. Everything is a tradeoff. My BW is available if you want it, for a fair price.

As for the body work, like we talked about I've had the same issue with the painted parts not marrying up with the unpainted bottoms since the day I picked up my 2021 with zero miles from the dealership in March of last year. Has never been 100% right, and the dealership said that's just the way some of them are. And I don't feel like messing around with them enough that I end up breaking off a piece somewhere. I'll live with it. As you saw, my bike is black-on-black anyway so it doesn't just jump right out unless you're looking directly at it.

We're going to need to get the band back together once this blistering heat starts to move on in the weeks ahead. Ted and some of the other guys from H-town metro area will need to schedule something more local. Riding 4.5 hrs to the South Central region fall event might be a challenge to get wifey to buy into, and the Arkansas event a couple weeks before will also be problematic if I can't get wifey and kiddos to go along for the weekend.

Cheers amigo, AB
(you've got my mobile #)

View attachment 33354

View attachment 33355View attachment 33356
Anthony it was truly a pleasure to meet you. And I am interested in your BW exhaust and the price you mentioned is not an issue. What is at an issue is my Engineering OCD. Before I make a full decision I have to quiet that feeling of unknowing and the only way I can do that is by researching the issues from all sides. Some aspects of torque VS back pressure from an engineering point of view doesn't make sense. So far the only verifiable reasons for a drop in torque with a corresponding drop in back pressure seems to be related to inadequate fuel to air mixture. If there is a proper vacuum in the exhaust to help remove all spent gases on the exhaust stroke and this causes the engine to not run well then this implies that the fuel volume being pumped into the cylinder must be too lean. And this makes sense to me as the factory is designing the injection assuming a cat in the exhaust will be restricting the evacuation of gases and therefore some of the burnt gases are carried into the next intake stroke and through the compression stroke..... This whole scenario should actually reduce the efficiency of the engine unless "The engine was "tuned" from the factory with that carry-over unburnable gas accounted for. See I warned you I have a serious case of Engineer's OCD. LOL

Yes. Yes you did. LOL

Can I recommend you spend some time talking with Steve? He is one of our frequent contributors and has spent over a decade building tunes and figuring out what works best for Concours machines (C10 and C14). Check out Shoodaben Engineering:

Talk soon, AB

Last edited:
Anthony it was truly a pleasure to meet you. And I am interested in your BW exhaust and the price you mentioned is not an issue. What is at an issue is my Engineering OCD. Before I make a full decision I have to quiet that feeling of unknowing and the only way I can do that is by researching the issues from all sides. Some aspects of torque VS back pressure from an engineering point of view doesn't make sense. So far the only verifiable reasons for a drop in torque with a corresponding drop in back pressure seems to be related to inadequate fuel to air mixture. If there is a proper vacuum in the exhaust to help remove all spent gases on the exhaust stroke and this causes the engine to not run well then this implies that the fuel volume being pumped into the cylinder must be too lean. And this makes sense to me as the factory is designing the injection assuming a cat in the exhaust will be restricting the evacuation of gases and therefore some of the burnt gases are carried into the next intake stroke and through the compression stroke..... This whole scenario should actually reduce the efficiency of the engine unless "The engine was "tuned" from the factory with that carry-over unburnable gas accounted for. See I warned you I have a serious case of Engineer's OCD. LOL
AreaP service was stellar, they have had some backlogs so check on availability and their owner / President will give you the scoop on flows from an exhaust designer.

Ivan - same thing just call him, he’s open to chatting and answering any questions or concerns. He supports / tunes many brand / models.

Steve - I have less personal experience with and no products thereof, however from my interactions and word of mouth a leader for sure in the aftermarket Concours world.

PM me if you’d like to discuss more details.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

A Connie is a bit rich from the factory. (I think this is done because the extra fuel is needed in the Cat)
If you install a slip-on or a header you do change the mixture slightly, but it shouldn't be lean.

The term back pressure is overused. People confuse back pressure with tuning the system.
Every header is designed to be optimum in a particular RPM range.
Back pressure, or restrictions (or the removal of those) can be used to tune the RPM range a bit.
Below is a discussion that you should read thru.

In the discussion, you'll see that "Texas" and I experimented with the restrictor's that Steve is taking about in the discussion.
We did so on my 2-muffler system to see if the restrictors would work on a system like mine.
I'm uncertain that we ever found the ideal set up, but we definitely found that the restrictors effected the power band of the bike.
We also found that a stock header with Slip-on works very well with a Flash. (He has the MRP)

** Now that he's changed his Slip-on, (and I removed the 1 restrictor I had in 1 side) we may be experimenting again.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Bill welcome to the group. Fit up of plastics sometimes takes a little finessing, trick I have found is tightening up only after as much can be assembled as possible.

I have the Full AreaP exhaust and tuning mentioned. I have no complaints, quality is great, enjoy the performance throughout the RPM range with definite thrill top end being opened up. Sound level has not been an issue for us. With this exhaust we have days as long as 937 miles without any ear issues / headaches, etc. - I do wear ear plugs, my wife chooses not to.

See you around!
Wayne, Carol & Blue
Thank you it is great to hear your input

A Connie is a bit rich from the factory. (I think this is done because the extra fuel is needed in the Cat)
If you install a slip-on or a header you do change the mixture slightly.

The term back pressure is overused. People confuse back pressure with tuning the system.
Every header is designed to be optimum in a particular RPM range.
Back pressure, or restrictions (or the removal of those) can be used to tune the RPM range a bit.
Below is a discussion that you should read thru.

In the discussion, you'll see that "Texas" and I experimented with the restrictor's that Steve is taking about in the discussion.
We did so on my 2-muffler system to see if the restrictors would work on a system like mine.
I'm uncertain that we ever found the ideal set up, but we definitely found that the restrictors effected the power band of the bike.
We also found that a stock header with Slip-on works very well with a Flash. (He has the MRP)

** Now that he's changed his Slip-on, (and I removed the 1 restrictor I had) we may be experimenting again.

Ride safe, Ted
Thank you this site and the people on it are turning out to be a wealth of information