• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hello - new owner of a 2014 C14

Epeescott

I have been commuting for years on my KLR 650 (which is now a KLR 692), but I decided I wanted something with a little more zip. I was leaning towards the Versys 1000 SE LT but I realized in all the time I have had my KLR, I have went off road exactly once, so I found a 2014 Concours C14 that looked brand new and had only 1800 miles on it. Wow, I am so impressed with the difference (of course). Loving it.

I live in the Bay Area of California, ride 84 miles every day to work and back, and may actually start doing some pleasure riding with this.

The previous owner put aftermarket LED lights on the front, but my first upgrades will probably be for the main headlights to go LED, install a LOUD air horn somewhere, and transfer my Givi top case to the Concours - not sure what after that.

The bike only came with one key fob, and I'm getting another paired to the bike this afternoon - thinking about buying the Kawasaki Diagnostic Tool to be able to do it myself in the future, but that's another $450 (unless there's a less expensive way to link to the bike?).

So far I haven't found any required/recommended upgrades to the bike like the KLR 'doohickey' or MC Mod, etc - love to hear if there are.

Thanks for having this forum, I'm looking forward to some reading.

Last edited:
Welcome Scott! Glad you're here! I used to be a regular at the hardly strictly bluegrass fest each October. Lots of free music and fun! There should be a few members in your area and the national is on your end of the country next year. Enjoy your new beast! Oh yeah, almost forgot. Get it flashed.

Welcome Scott! Glad you're here! I used to be a regular at the hardly strictly bluegrass fest each October. Lots of free music and fun! There should be a few members in your area and the national is on your end of the country next year. Enjoy your new beast! Oh yeah, almost forgot. Get it flashed.
Thanks, and I just saw this was a thing. Suggestions on flashing?

I have been commuting for years on my KLR 650 (which is now a KLR 692), but I decided I wanted something with a little more zip. I was leaning towards the Versys 100 SE LT but I realized in all the time I have had my KLR, I have went off road exactly once, so I found a 2014 Concours C14 that looked brand new and had only 1800 miles on it. Wow, I am so impressed with the difference (of course). Loving it.

I live in the Bay Area of California, ride 84 miles every day to work and back, and may actually start doing some pleasure riding with this.

The previous owner put aftermarket LED lights on the front, but my first upgrades will probably be for the main headlights to go LED, install a LOUD air horn somewhere, and transfer my Givi top case to the Concours - not sure what after that.

The bike only came with one key fob, and I'm getting another paired to the bike this afternoon - thinking about buying the Kawasaki Diagnostic Tool to be able to do it myself in the future, but that's another $450 (unless there's a less expensive way to link to the bike?).

So far I haven't found any required/recommended upgrades to the bike like the KLR 'doohickey' or MC Mod, etc - love to hear if there are.

Thanks for having this forum, I'm looking forward to some reading.
I went with the WOLO 308-2T electric replacement horns. They fit where the stock unit bolts on (with a simple bracket and offset spacer). Horns are super loud and work with the stock wiring as they draw amps within the normal circuit capacity. The horns are nice and loud with a commanding tone. Price is great too!

One upgrade that I highly suggest is going to stainless braided hydraulic lines. I bought Gaffer lines for the brakes and clutch. The feel is so much better as I can power stop with one finger and light foot pressure. The clutch line is admittedly a pain as threading the old one out takes some perseverance and tenacity. I think I outfitted the whole bike for less that $250.

I went with the WOLO 308-2T electric replacement horns. They fit where the stock unit bolts on (with a simple bracket and offset spacer). Horns are super loud and work with the stock wiring as they draw amps within the normal circuit capacity. The horns are nice and loud with a commanding tone. Price is great too!

No relay Required?

Welcome to the COGdom. Your gonna like it here.

Inquiring minds wanna know.
What Color is your new 2014 Connie?

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Welcome Scott to the Southwest region of COG! We have a rally that starts this Friday and we will have a 2-3 more on the event calendar soon. Keith (Wandrng) is our AAD in the Northern California area. Our National Rally in 2023 will be in Southern Oregon and hopefully you will be able to make that in the future. Sounds like you got a terrific bike with very low miles. You will love the C14 it is a fantastic bike that like your KLR is very dependable. Look forward in the future to meeting you. If you have any questions about the Southwest area please contact me anytime. :D (y)

Welcome Scott to the Southwest region of COG! We have a rally that starts this Friday and we will have a 2-3 more on the event calendar soon. Keith (Wandrng) is our AAD in the Northern California area. Our National Rally in 2023 will be in Southern Oregon and hopefully you will be able to make that in the future. Sounds like you got a terrific bike with very low miles. You will love the C14 it is a fantastic bike that like your KLR is very dependable. Look forward in the future to meeting you. If you have any questions about the Southwest area please contact me anytime. :D (y)
Thanks, it should be great. Southern Oregon sounds like a good ride with a Kodiak Swag tent.

One upgrade that I highly suggest is going to stainless braided hydraulic lines. I bought Gaffer lines for the brakes and clutch. The feel is so much better as I can power stop with one finger and light foot pressure. The clutch line is admittedly a pain as threading the old one out takes some perseverance and tenacity. I think I outfitted the whole bike for less that $250.
I did this on my KLR and surely will do on the C14.

Thanks!

I put a Denali Soundbomb on my KLR.....How does this compare to another air horn type? While there's plenty of room on the KLR to put stuff, it looks like a tighter fit on the Concours.

Ooops, sorry, never quoted someone before, so what does jumping leads to connect both wires to harness? How the heck do you do that, is there any "plug and play" horns that just plug in without having to build/attach a relay or run wires to the battery?

Thanks, just what I was looking for - but I have seen pictures where people's Givi trunks are color matched to their bike, are those shells you can add to an existing trunk or is that a whole new trunk?
I think that Givi offers a few color matched tops, and they are only offered for some Givi Boxes.
Most of the color matched bags you see are Kawasaki Trunks (that are made for Kawasaki by Givi).

NOTE: The early Kawasaki {MonoLock} Trunks did not attach to Phil's Racks without an adapter.
Later Kawasaki {MonoKey} trunks do.
If you opt to buy a Kawasaki Trunk, do some research before ordering.

Last edited:
I think that Givi offers a few color matched tops, and they are only offered for some Givi Boxes.
Most of the color matched bags you see are Kawasaki Trunks (that are made for Kawasaki by Givi).

NOTE: The early Kawasaki {MonoLock} Trunks did not attach to Phil's Racks without an adapter.
Later Kawasaki {MonoKey} trunks do.
If you opt to buy a Kawasaki Trunk, do some research before ordering.
I'm taking the Monokey trunk off my KLR, so I'm good to go.

Ooops, sorry, never quoted someone before, so what does jumping leads to connect both wires to harness? How the heck do you do that, is there any "plug and play" horns that just plug in without having to build/attach a relay or run wires to the battery?

I just threw these on in place of the original. Finagled it around to face the radiator. My wife says it is loud. Stock location, stock wiring and no fuss

Thanks, will look into those, it sounds like exactly what I need, is that a pun, sorry to get off track, lets get back to welcoming this guy.:)

Welcome Scott. Great choice of bike, if I do say so myself. I have a Neptune Blue 2010 that has served me very well since I bought her used in 2012. I too have the Shoodaben Mountain Runner Premium flash on my bike (the second flash I've gotten from Steve) and the difference in smoothness, throttle response, and rideability is simply amazing. To me, a bargain even at twice the price. Shoodaben is listed under the COG Vendors section of this forum If you haven't already checked him out.

Join for the bike, stay for the people!

Thank you, and again,,, welcome to the COGdom.

The seat is a custom Baldwin.
,,Loren lowered/widened it for me, and the front of both positions is raised to prevent sliding forward.
Mufflers are Area P.
,,The one that you see is a right-side muffler/mid that I modified to fit on the left.
I tried different versions of risers and pullbacks. Not sure what was on it when this photo was done.
I went back to Risers only and shortened them to 1 1/2".
Everyone has a different preference, and you'll find yours.

As your new to the Connie, my recommendation is; don't change anything until you ride it for a while.
Get to know the new Girl, set on other Connies, and then start Farkling.
{When you're ready, we'll be happy to help you spend your money on Farkles}.

Ride safe, Ted