• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Helmet Speakers

cmoore

I have a Shoei RF1200 and would like to hear my iphone for music and streaming audio. I'm not interested in talking to anyone. Is there a good blue tooth or hard wired device that someone can point me to? Thanks

I have a Packtalk which works good for music.....but I still wear earplugs to cut wind noise. I used LG Tones for years, and those were excellent. The only reason I switched was for the talk feature.
Since you don’t want to talk, any Bluetooth earplugs should be ok.

Invest in a good set of noise isolating earbuds and a Bluetooth connector.

https://tinyurl.com/EtymoticMK5

https://tinyurl.com/ReceiverBT

I have a new Shoei RF SR to replace my RF 1100 after 5 years. Rode about 2 miles yesterday to the gas station up the bypass without putting my earbuds with isolating triple flange tips in....the roar was wild. Not sure how I rode for so long without these....but the ringing in my ears that won't go away makes me wish I had got smart sooner

I use the Cardo Freecom 4+ with the JBL speakers. It's great, good music volume even with my earplugs in at freeway speed, plus it allows nav and phone override then goes right back to music. Also has FM with presets and scan. Excellent. Voice commands work really good.

Thanks for the replies. The guy on the you tube video has some good ideas. Kind of funny too.

CM - Please let us know what you end up with, and how it works out

(I still use an old ipod nano and earbuds, having tried out a helmet mounted system years ago that was basically inaudible above 50 mph. Also tried the aerostitch helmet speakers - same result. The Cardo 4+ has some good reviews for bluetooth connectivity, if communicating with passenger or other riders is important to you. I typically ride alone...)

I ride alone also, i chose the cardo for music because the speakers and voice commands are really good and i wont ride without 33db foam ear plugs.

Thanks HR!

Which Cardo do you have? (seems like there's lots of models/generations)

I also use ear plugs (or ear plug type ear buds). Do I understand that you can hear your Cardo OK with your earplugs?

And, you can change volume, etc by voice command? (I usually wear gloves, and not sure I could work the controls with gloves on)

Freecom 4+, easy to hear with 33db foam earplugs in. Can change volume with voice commands or thumb wheel which is easy to use with winter gloves on. It uses JBL speakers, good sound.

I use a Sena SMH-10 com unit. It has the availability to blue tooth music, phone, gps, and com with other units. On my versys I add foam ear plugs and they make it easier to hear the audio at speed.  The downside is the unit attached to the helmet. At different times I have been able to connect to my ipod, tablet, gps, or phone and it has a port it input a wired connection if you wanted.

There may be good wireless earbuds to use just for music but any in the ear speaker will have to fit very well to not be dislodged while riding. I have a set of active noise canceling earbuds I was going to try to use just for the noise but had a hard time putting on my helmet and they put a pressure point in the ear when the helmet was on.

Thanks for all the great inputs!

I am going to see about getting a Cardo four +, just to ditch the earphone wire (always a tangled headache). My learning here is that you can listen (to Cardo or Sena) through ear plugs!

I assume the (Cardo) voice command is only for Cardo? (eg, Would "Hello Garmin", spoken over Cardo microphone, activate Garmin GPS voice commands?)

With Sena the gps has to be a motorcycle unit Zumo for the connection to my headset. My auto Nuvi blue tooth will not connect into the headset. Check both the headset and gps manuals online to find the ones that will work.

On my Versys with the original windshield I get too much wind noise to hear audio at freeway speeds and traffic. With foam ear plugs blocking that noise the spoken word and music is cleared for me. On my C-10 I am usually running passenger intercom and do not use ear plugs, we are able to talk at any speed.

I use a Cardo G9 with the factory cardo speakers in my helmet. I connect it with blutooth to my Garmin 600lm gps. I connect my cell phone to the Garmin. This system has worked perfect for me for the last 10 years. In a full face helmet the speakers are more than loud enough to hear music or phone conversations at any speed.

I use a Sena 20s i believe it is, bought a set of Westone ear buds (very expensive) other wise i could not hear the speakers in my helmet.
What model do you have? How do they fit under your helmet especially putting it on and taking off?

What model do you have? How do they fit under your helmet especially putting it on and taking off?
I beleive they are Westone ac20 ear monitors, i have d-rings on my helmet so i completly remove the strap from the d-rings and sorts spread the sides if my helmet when i put it on, i am pretty much deaf but they allow me to hear music instead of just the wind.

I agree with Zarticus on not only his former bikes, but also his headset setup. Cardo or Sena to me makes no difference, but using anything other than the speakers that come with them does not make sense to me. I can hear music, calls, and more importantly WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND ME with the stock Cardo or Sena speakers for the helmet.

I have used Cardo and Sena and really don't find a great deal of difference between them, but some folks do. But I will say I am not enjoying my Sena 50R as much as I liked the 20S. The 50R is far to unpolished for my liking, when the 20S just worked - and worked well all the time!

Some may say, well you just don't like good music quality and to that I say; brother, I was probably into hi-fi audio before you were born! I can't stand listening to music from a phone or an mp3 player because it lacks fidelity and dynamic range. I use portable DAC players that play at least FLAC format. And if you can't hear that difference, the speaker vs earplug quality discussion is pretty moot as a the deciding factor.

On a bike I think the only real concern is safety - like I don't believe there is a such thing as "safely" lane splitting. Seen too many ugly lane splitting involved accidents to believe that myth. If you are isolating your ears with plugs and then piping in sound, you're not getting much feedback from around you - and that is not a formula for a good outcome no matter what some Youtube scientist says about it.