• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Help diagnosing an intermittent starting problem

buddhaflow667

Hey guys,

picked up a 1996 C10 with about 60k on the clock about six months ago, and I've been happy as a clam. I've had over a dozen motorcycles in my life, and in every way this is far and away my favorite.

I've had to deal with a couple issues (clutch slave cylinder seal and tires), but for the most part, it's been trouble free.

But I've had one issue that's started cropping up the last few weeks.

Occasionally, when I press the starter button, nothing happens.

But it doesn't stay not working - for instance, once two weeks back while pushing it up and down the parking lot trying to push start the bike, the button just started working again.

I've opened the assembly up, the soldering is in good shape. I've cleaned out the starter switch, and that...seemed to help? But yesterday, I opened up the starter switch assembly, and directly shorted the two solder bits with a screwdriver; it didn't make it start. Which would seem to rule out the switch being the problem.

But then, after having to push start it twice and fiddling around for twenty minutes in vain, I tried pulling in the clutch lever and pushing the button, and it started right up, and started working again. And then working without the clutch lever being pulled.

Battery is strong, tried with jumper leads to a running car just to make sure. Didn't change anything.

Is it possible the starter relay is going out? Is it possible the starter motor is going out? Or could it be something else? Could it be the switch itself somehow?

Any advice is greatly appreciated..it's both pretty hard and a bit embarrassing push starting such a big bike!

Many happy miles,
Sasha

There are two starter interlock switches that cause problems - one is closed by the side stand being raised (this one lives in a greasy & dirty world) - usually it can be cleaned with WD40 or a solvent. The other switch lives in the clutch lever. I've owned three of these bikes and never had to replace a starter relay.

The other safety interlock is your neutral switch, if your green neutral light isn't on then you would also have to pull in the clutch lever.

This is going to sound stupid, but it nearly left me stranded one day on the road. Check the tightness of the battery terminals. I had the bike into the shop for something that they disconnected the battery for. A few days later the positive terminal connection came loose because they apparently didn't tighten it properly.

All of the above are good places to look. With one (the side stand switch) being a common problem.
If unsure that it is the issue, it can be bypassed.

Ride safe, Ted

Side stand switch is what I would say until proven otherwise, had the same problem last year, cleaned at stated above, fixed.

Not on my connie, but I have had the clutch switch wear internally and cause the contact to stick even when the plunger of the switch moved. I took the switch apart and could see the wear marks in the housing. The switch would move just far enough to be open for both clutch lever positions. I have also had the plunger break and not move the switch far enough. In both cases The bike would start if the clutch was in the position that the switch made contact. The switch is not hard to change and not too expensive.

Just wanted to follow up here for anyone who might stumble on this.

Yes, the issue was with the clutch switch.

For the first several months I owned the bike, I just started it without holding the clutch in. Not sure what changed, but now it requires the clutch being in. That was the whole entire problem!

Thanks for the feedback :)