• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Help! Issues trying put air in tires

Flying_Pieman

Hi guys!
I have a 2018 C14 and I have 2 local service stations where I go to fill my tires with no problem. I have had on a few occasions used other service stations when needed and when I used the air pumps I am not able to either fit the air pump hose over the nozzle of my tire properly or I am simply unable to get air into the tire and at the same time have ended up releasing so much air that the tire flattens. Any advice on how to fill these tires at any service station?
Thanks!

I carry a Motopump portable all the time. Its fitting can get in the small spaces on the rims.

https://www.motopumps.com/shop

Mine is the Mini Pro standard

Need a SAE pigtail attached to your battery to power it up on the road. I use the pigtail to also keep a battery tender when not in use.  I have had at least 12 times I have picked up a nail, screw, wheel weight on my trips. The pump paid for itself many time over.

Roadside repairs I use the Dyna Plug kit for small punctures. For big holes in your tire, I use the Stop and Go plug kit. It will plug as much larger hole in a tire. I carry both kits.

The other option is to get a 90 degree valve stem adapter, be advised, they leak a lot when in use so be sure to realize that.

Sorry,
I removed my own post.
self moderated...

<deletia by moderator>

No need to be overly sarcastic here Rich.  - Craig

gpd323 said:
I carry a Motopump portable all the time. Its fitting can get in the small spaces on the rims.

https://www.motopumps.com/shop

Mine is the Mini Pro standard

Need a SAE pigtail attached to your battery to power it up on the road. I use the pigtail to also keep a battery tender when not is use.  I have had at least 12 times I have picked up a nail, screw, wheel weight on my trips. The pump paid for itself many time over.

Roadside repairs I use the Dyna Plug kit for small punctures. For big holes in your tire, I use the Stop and Go plug kit. It will plug as much larger hole in a tire. I carry both kits.

The other option is to get a 90 degree valve stem adapter, be advised, they leak a lot when in use so be sure to realize that.

Thanks gpd323 much appreciated!

MAN OF BLUES said:
I realize the dilemma, but hve to add... some semblance of understanding, looking at the tool, and the point of attachment to your tire valve............ needs to be thought out. If you don't apply the tool where it seals, and just spurts air.. give up... find another one.  you will not find a "long necked extended tool" that will put air in.. so look at the hose end, and if it's a shorty stub, slap it on.. if it doesn't seal, stop, and go somewhere else.
<deletia by moderator>

I have owned close to 30 motorcycles of all makes and types and have ridden in a few countries. I have been riding for nearly 35 years. I don't appreciate your sarcasm and condescension. You were most unhelpful.

I am convinced there is something different about the shrader valve stem  on the TPS units on the c14. I've had to try 3 or 4 chucks for my home compressor to find one that works. For gas station air o carry an extension that works reliably. Another thing you can do is get a steam wrench and turn the stem out a turn or two but not yo where it starts to leak. This will make most chicks work. After filling, tighten the stem back.

Recently, I experienced two gas stations that could not provide air because the rubber gasket was missing thus preventing a good seal so that even cage drivers could not get air.

The stations that I did find that worked, required that I route the hose through the openings in the wheels so that the chuck could properly mate with the valve stem (you have to see a photo to know what I'm talking about).

I always carry a tire pump with me just in case.

Fuel station air pumps get so much abuse the nozzles are always messed up . I keep a small pump in my bags at all times to avoid that nonsense and possible damage to my valve stem , etc . The great thing about a bike with bags . Plenty of room for all the stuff needed to keep going .

cra-z1000 said:
Fuel station air pumps get so much abuse the nozzles are always messed up...

Yep -- station air-chucks are hit or miss and I've had Pieman's experience more than once on car tires... I have a small "slime" type pump that I carry on the bike, but have never used it... I always air at home (larger pump for air tools), but assuming one has a bit of space for it, a small airpump at home solves the issue and then you always know the quality of the chucks, not to mention having it readily available (not sure how apartment dwellers handle it...).

As an aside, I have several times used those cheap, 12-volt automotive pumps on car tires alongside the road and they work too -- slowly, but  get the job done...

I have one of these in my tool bag. Cost a couple of bucks..
Have given them to several others as emergency backups...  :great:

It's not the ideal solution, but it works fine if your at a pump and can't get the tire chuck onto the stock stem.
  {It saved me when I was at a station and did not have another choice}

NOTE: Do NOT push sideways against your stock stem as it could break off.
          ie; If you use this, "Always" support this stem so that you don't put a lot of sideload on the stock stem!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Degree-Motorcycle-Car-Tire-Stem-Extender-Tyre-Valve-Extension-Metal-Rod/273202021015?hash=item3f9c1c0297:g:ItIAAOSw1nRa8VkW

Ride safe, Ted

Mine was better, Ted! None of that. "NOTE: Do NOT push sideways against your stock stem as it could break off.
          ie; If you use this, "Always" support this stem so that you don't put a lot of sideload on the stock stem!
" crap.    :nananana: :nananana: :)) :))

OK,  I deleted some comments that the Moderation Staff wanted removed.

This was a consensus decision and please don't post anything here you would not say to someone in person.

Rich, I expect to not see this type of snarky repartee repeated. You are on notice.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program. :beerchug: :great:

....and if u leaved them attached, they sound just like the playing cards clothes pinned to my schwinn sting ray use to.....bbbbrrrrrraaap... :beerchug:

I believe there are two male connectors for air hoses. One is used for home use the other is commercial.  The difference appears to be the width of a band on the plug in the fitting. SO what I've done is I carry both fittings and a air chuck. The air chuck is the old timey half round looking chuck found on most old portable air tanks. Because it's so short, (About the size of a 58 caliber ball with enough room to thread in a fitting.)  I can get on the tire stem of the C14 with out much effort. It doesn't work real well on my Toyota with it's wheel covers because it is short. While on the road with the 14, I have yet to find a situation where I could not remove the air chuck off and replace it with my air chuck at a gas station or air island or what ever when needed. One of the male fittings will work. Yeah it might leak around the threads of my fitting and chuck but not enough to keep me from putting air in a C14 tire. If I'm in the mood not to leak a little air I can tighten the fitting to the chuck with a metric adjustable and a  9/16's.

If I had a decent digital camera I would show a pic. But remember the chuck I use was prior to the long extended air chuck to use with trucks and the like.

Lol . This all sounds like alot of work just to get air in a darn tire . Pull the pump out of the bag and get it done ....goodness 😂😂

I saw another thread about this here recently, but this seems like a decent reason to install aftermarket 90º valve stems during your next tire change. I'm a fan of them personally.

Rob said:
I saw another thread about this here recently, but this seems like a decent reason to install aftermarket 90º valve stems during your next tire change. I'm a fan of them personally.
The problem is finding ones that will fit the TPMS sensor.

Staylo said:
Rob said:
The problem is finding ones that will fit the TPMS sensor.

Ah, I see. This is the fist bike Ive owned with TPMS. Is there a particular aftermarket brand that makes 90º that fit our TPMS? Or is it just settled that its not possible to combine the two.

Ive never held a TPM in my hands, but I just looked over the shop manual and can see how mating a 90º stem and a TPM would be problematic.

There are two versions of the TPMS sensor, and my understanding is that there is a Honda 90° valve stem that would fit the early TPMS version, but nothing to fit the second.

in an effort of compensation, and trying hard to assist; I can suggest this item. When coupled with a "generic" quick disconnect fitting, avaialble at most auto stores, or even Harbor freight, and carried on the bike, you can easily fill a tire at a "gas station", with their hose, if the end "pops off"...

MP%20Air%20Chuck%2008-0602.jpg

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=520&osCsid=rFGK3ZoCLt8RmZBe42oJr1
and this
https://www.harborfreight.com/brass-industrial-quick-coupler-set-4-pc-68241.html

or, even cheaper, this
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-64mm-NPT-Female-Brass-Tire-Chuck-62697.html

and this...
https://www.harborfreight.com/brass-industrial-quick-coupler-set-4-pc-68241.html

I have a compressor at home, and my hose has the el-cheapo H/F quick disconnect chuck... I also carry one (a chuck) with me in my tool kit.. and also carry a small compressor, with a quick connect flex hose, for emergencies.. I check my air, and fill at home. Short of getting a puncture on the road, really it's all like wearing suspenders and a belt... but, I carry a plug kit also... jut too many years on the road, and I always hate to see someone "stuck" for lack of planning/
I'm just old, set in my ways, and pretty much non of this applies to my worries anymore.

MAN OF BLUES said:
in an effort of compensation, and trying hard to assist; I can suggest this item. When coupled with a "generic" quick disconnect fitting, avaialble at most auto stores, or even Harbor freight, and carried on the bike, you can easily fill a tire at a "gas station", with their hose, if the end "pops off"...

MP%20Air%20Chuck%2008-0602.jpg

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=520&osCsid=rFGK3ZoCLt8RmZBe42oJr1
and this

or, even cheaper, this
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-64mm-NPT-Female-Brass-Tire-Chuck-62697.html

and this...

I have a compressor at home, and my hose has the el-cheapo H/F quick disconnect chuck... I also carry one (a chuck) with me in my tool kit.. and also carry a small compressor, with a quick connect flex hose, for emergencies.. I check my air, and fill at home. Short of getting a puncture on the road, really it's all like wearing suspenders and a belt... but, I carry a plug kit also... jut too many years on the road, and I always hate to see someone "stuck" for lack of planning/
I'm just old, set in my ways, and pretty much non of this applies to my worries anymore.

Thanks MAN OF BLUES, I really appreciate this, your a champion! Have a good one and ride well :)

If it's already been mentioned... But if it's the air pumps with the flexible rubber hose coming from the trigger, you can run that throug the holes in the center of the rims. There is one directly above the valve stem and another not too far in either direction allowing for most if those hoses to flex into position. Putting the nozzle right in position to fill