• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hi! I'm new here

Hello, my name is Olivia. I'm thinking about getting my first taste of riding. I want to ride pillion on the C-14 while I'm spirited mountain riding or long distance touring, but when my husband and I are pleasure riding / wandering, for example, 200 miles a day, I'd like to feel the exhilaration of directing my own machine.
Ninja 400, Honda Rebel 500, or something else?
I'd love to hear about your experiences or knowledge with these or other machines for beginners.

Thank you very much.

Take the motorcycle rider safety course..

This is excellent advice. Successful completion of a basic rider course should be primary over a bike purchase.

Both bikes you mention would be good beginner options from a reliability and ease of riding perspective, However, they are very different esthetically and how they ride. This is a personal choice.

Your choice of bike will depend on a few things, some of which are seat height and riding position.

Ninja 400 is close to the Concours in riding position with feet underneath the rider, while the Rebel has the feet a bit forward of the rider.

All things to consider.

I agree with what was said before. Please take the motorcycle rider safety course. It is very important.

I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 650s. It is a great bike, and it can be set up for whatever height you are. It's also a very quick bike since it has the Ninja engine. I was surprised as to its quick response. It's not a heavy bike. It is considered a sport touring bike. I'm biased because I love it.

I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 650s. It is a great bike, and it can be set up for whatever height you are. It's also a very quick bike since it has the Ninja engine. I was surprised as to its quick response. It's not a heavy bike. It is considered a sport touring bike. I'm biased because I love it.
I guess I need something that is not really quick for beginning

I guess I need something that is not really quick for beginning

"Quick" is relative and in the control of the rider. It is natural for complete novice riders to feel apprehensive about speed. By the end of the course most students are more comfortable attaining exercise speeds up to 25 MPH.

The MSF courses typically use motorcycles in the 125c-250cc range, although the maximum allowed size is 500cc. As others have mentioned, engine size is not the only factor to consider when deciding on a first motorcycle. How well you fit on it and being able to reach the ground with both feet flat is very important. Do you feel more comfortable with feet forward, rear, or neutral riding position. Aesthetics and style may also be an important factor to you. There are many options. Go to dealers and sit on different models.

Good luck.

LIKE YOUR ENTHUSIASM. Yep on above.

But for now - what's your height and inseam? So roughly length of arms and legs?
As a class, I'd avoid inline 4 cylinder models as a first bike because of the manner they deliver power.
Single cylinder bikes would be mismatched when riding with a C14 on your 200 mile day trips.
2 or 3 cylinders = better low and mid range power and work well for day road trips.

Last edited:
OLIVIA. You still want something with a little power but small enough for you to handle it. Look at a Honda 750 Nighthawk. They have been around for a long time and the engine is bullet proof. It has 78 horsepower and 58 ft pounds of torque and a nice sit up riding style. You will fall it love with it I know I have one. Also a 2000 ZG 1000 Connie and a Suzuki 1250 Bandit. The Nighthawk is a breeze to drive if you can find one go for it. Better yet find someone who has one and will let you test drive it. Murph is rt about the safety course. Good luck. Find that Nighthawk you will not be dissapointed.

Welcome. You are getting the great advice that is typical from COG. Their are a ton of excellent small to mid displacement twins out there that are perfect for the job. You will find many lightly used options out on the web, since they tend to be learner bikes. Enjoy the search and don’t fear buying one from a distant seller and having it shipped to you. I had my 09 C14 shipped up from Texas (1200 miles) for less than $800. Just do the due diligence by getting tons of pictures and videos, as well as maintenance records to be sure the bike is as advertised. HaulBikes.com is licensed and insured for shipping bikes with a default of $15K (and more available at added cost) to cover any damages. They were great for me.

I started on a 100cc dirt bike. Followed by a 250,400,750,850,1000,1100 and 1400, among others. Go get a Honda Grom or the Kawasaki equivalent to get a handle on the basics and start working on building muscle memory. You can learn a lot from a small lightweight, non intimidating bike like that. It's also not as big a deal if you drop it in the parking lot while learning.

My barber bought the new version of Honda's Rebel and it's a great little single cylinder bike, she loves it, it's low, light, enough power to get out if it's own way but not so much to intimidate a new rider, and, she's your size.

My daughter rode with me as she was growing up and she was bit by the riding bug early on. She wanted to learn how to ride so I had her sign up for a motorcycle rider safety course and they used Suzuki 250 enduros. Because she learned on them she wanted to stick with them. She bought a Honda CRF300L because it is fuel injected and has ABS brakes. She doesn't have to worry about choking it on cold starts and locking up the brakes in a panic. I put a 2" lowering kit on it and a 1-1/4" lower seat, it fits her perfectly. I put hand guards on it so the levers won't bend when it falls over and I also installed a rack on the back with built in handles so it is easier to pick up. She is 5'-3" tall and weighs 120lbs and can pick it up by herself. She has been racing the wind and chasing the sun ever since!

Attachments

• CRF_300.jpg
    CRF_300.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 64
A Triumph Bonneville would be a decent starter bike and one you could easily take on trips . I would recommend tipover bars also .

My son has a yamaha fz 550 I think. Could be 650 ,idk.but his wife never took to riding. It's been lowered and farkled some. If you have any interest let me know and I'll get some solid info. I'm guessing it's 7or8 years old. Vgc.

If u happen to read alot of the threads, ull notice that connie rider (ted) is fascinated with the color RED!! He believes that just having a red bike gives a person 5more mph. Ain't that right ted? Lol
Oh,,, I didn't realize it was RED. :eek:
I wuz just picking the most expensive, high maintenance cost, rare, scooter I could find to show to her Hubby.
After that, she could have any bike she wanted.

When I started riding in the mid eighties, I bought a V-twin 750 Yamaha Virago. It was only intimidating for a couple of weeks and then it got fun! After about a year, I started realizing that it handled poorly and the cruiser riding position made my back hurt. That's when I was advised to get a bike that had the pegs below instead of in front so I could get my weight off the seat when I saw a need to absorb some shock with my knees. Then I got my first Connie ('88) and it was so much better! I only buy bikes with a similar seat/peg configuration. I have no suggestions since I'm nearly a foot taller than you. Just something to consider.

Last edited by a moderator: