• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Highway pegs: Ronnie's vs. AST V2

KretonsLC

A little over a year ago I hurt my right knee, and while I've mostly recovered I find the knee armor in my riding pants pressing down on it during long rides causes considerable pain.  So I'm looking at getting some highway pegs to extend my legs and take the pressure off, and it appears for those of us who don't have Canyon Cages or something similar to mount the pegs on, Ronnie's and AST's are the only options.

I'm 6' with a 34" inseam, so I've got some questions I'm hoping those here with experience with at least one of these options can help with.

1)  Are Ronnie's and AST's indeed the only options without Canyon Cages or something similar?  I really like the looks of the bike w/o cages, so pegs requiring them are not an option.
2)  The ASTs look like they mount further forward so along with their adjustability they might be the better option extension-wise.  But can you rest the back of your legs on Ronnie's without the fairing getting in the way, or having the end of the peg dig into your calf, or spreading your legs so much that they're out in the breeze? 
3)  I don't have a lift so I need something that will install with the bike on the center stand.  I know this is doable with Ronnie's, but the way the ASTs install appear difficult if not impossible without a lift.  Has anyone installed these with the bike on the center stand?

Thanks for help with these questions.

I have the Ronnie’s pegs on my 16, also have Canyon cages, I am 5’10” and 32” inseam, I wish the pegs were forward two inches ,I think I would make them more comfy for me.
But it does give another leg position when I need it! I haven’t seen the AST on a bike so can’t comment on them.

FTB530 said:
I have the Ronnie’s pegs on my 16, also have Canyon cages, I am 5’10” and 32” inseam, I wish the pegs were forward two inches ,I think I would make them more comfy for me.
But it does give another leg position when I need it! I haven’t seen the AST on a bike so can’t comment on them.

Thanks.  Can you rest your legs on them to fully extend your legs?

Just saw AST has a good installation vid for these, but see where they did it on a lift.  I've emailed them about whether getting full extension is possible as well as whether installing largely by feel just using the center stand is doable.

Looks like a nice system and since no drilling is required it'd be simple to return the bike to stock for resale if you wanted to.  I also like how it retains the position of the regular pegs without moving them out some like Ronnie's does.

Kreton'sLC said:
FTB530 said:

Thanks.  Can you rest your legs on them to fully extend your legs?

When i have my boots on the Ronnies pegs my legs are in more of a vertical position from the knee to the feet, not extened any farther!i do sometimes rest my legs on top of the pegs if i am on a straight road!

Well I got a helpful email back with Ryan at AST which convinced me his pegs would be the way to go.  Problem is they're on pre-order with no arrival date, and I'd have to provide full payment to get on a list to ensure I'd get them, so . . . :(

Ive had really great customer service with ryan and AST, and have  a bunch of their goodies on.my bike.  I have cages and use pegs mounted on them.  But i wanted to let u know they make a quality product.  There were some folks that had difficulty getting ahold of ryan, but that seems to be in the past.

Kreton'sLC said:
Well I got a helpful email back with Ryan at AST which convinced me his pegs would be the way to go.  Problem is they're on pre-order with no arrival date, and I'd have to provide full payment to get on a list to ensure I'd get them, so . . . :(
I have heard & read all about the problems with AST,Saying that I have bought three or four items from him and pretty good quality of things no one else makes, am happy with my purchases,but i always suggest pay pal! 

konehead said:
Ive had really great customer service with ryan and AST, and have  a bunch of their goodies on.my bike...

Ditto -- I went with Ronnies on the pegs (just my aesthetics preference -- haven't installed yet), but AST has been very quick response for the several farkles I've purchased from them --  AST YouTube install vids are excelllent as well, at least the ones I've used...

FTB530 said:
Kreton'sLC said:
I have heard & read all about the problems with AST,Saying that I have bought three or four items from him and pretty good quality of things no one else makes, am happy with my purchases,but i always suggest pay pal!

Regarding PayPal, my concern is if as in this case the seller couldn't give a time frame to expect delivery whether you could file a non-delivery claim.  They might say it was my fault for purchasing something without getting a delivery time frame from the seller.

Have any of you AST customers paid them in advance without first getting an idea when you'd get the item?

I have.... and everything ordered was delivered within week of placing the order.  Ive ordered at least 4 different products for my c14 from them

As mentioned b4, there was a period where ryan was having some medical issues (iirc) and coggers werent getting the product nor were they able to communicate with ryan to find out what the delays were.  Pretty certain there were some forum threads regarding this.

konehead said:
I have.... and everything ordered was delivered within week of placing the order.  Ive ordered at least 4 different products for my c14 from them

As mentioned b4, there was a period where ryan was having some medical issues (iirc) and coggers werent getting the product nor were they able to communicate with ryan to find out what the delays were.  Pretty certain there were some forum threads regarding this.

Thanks.  Ryan sounds like a good guy from his emails.  I hope to use some tax refund money towards the pegs so will probably order them pretty soon.