• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hit and getting blamed

funsize

Nothing like getting hit from behind and being blamed for it by the driver who hit me.  Was on the right lane with my turn signal on to go into the gas station when I felt a hard thump.  I went down.  Thankfully I'm okay but my bike is not.  He hit it hard that it won't even move in neutral.  The police officer is not buying his story.  I really wish I knew French right now so I can understand what he is saying to whomever he is talking on the phone.

Getting hit in the rear your chances are high he will be sighted.  Whether he has insurance is another matter.  You may have a new bike in your future or at least some $ in your pocket.  Glad you are alright.

Glad you are ok, where I am from if your are rear ended it is always the drivers fault who did the rear ending,and as far as him having insurance is the number one reason I buy under/uninsured motorist coverage. 

FTB530 said:
Glad you are ok, where I am from if your are rear ended it is always the drivers fault who did the rear ending,and as far as him having insurance is the number one reason I buy under/uninsured motorist coverage.

Agree. I was nailed from behind (hard) one time and flipped off the bike, breaking the driver's windshield (me landing on it) and then on my back on the pavement. Thank God I was not run over too. All of it happened so quickly. Drivefr who nailed me was sited for the accident and their insurance was scrared I was going to sue them. Nope, I was ok; just bummed up. New bike and new helmet.

Hold your ground and you'll be taken care of.

Road Runner said:
FTB530 said:

Agree. I was nailed from behind (hard) one time and flipped off the bike, breaking the driver's windshield (me landing on it) and then on my back on the pavement. Thank God I was not run over too. All of it happened so quickly. Drivefr who nailed me was sited for the accident and their insurance was scrared I was going to sue them. Nope, I was ok; just bummed up. New bike and new helmet.

My insurance paid $100k when I got rear ended. If it wasn’t for my policy I would have been roayaly screwed!

Hold your ground and you'll be taken care of.

Drivers who rear end someone are always at fault here, too. I was nearly nailed by a girl in a Honda with a pink license plate right after I got my C-10. I believe she was texting.

So sorry to hear this. Hope  you're okay. If you are NOT, go to the doctor TODAY and establish a benchmark. Don't wait.

This past fall, similar to the OP, I was completely stopped and waiting to turn right at a red light many miles from home in a different state.  A lady hit me on the left saddle bag and spun me 90 degrees sideways. I had a valiant effort to stay upright until my hamstring popped and I went down on the right side. I had the Top Blocks so damage to the right side where the bike dropped was minimal. She smashed her front headlight and dented her fender. Actually worse damage than the C-14. She was covered by Erie insurance and was very apologetic. Said her foot slipped off the brake, but maybe texting?  Erie didn’t blink and sent an appraiser out in two days and fixed everything thing that was damaged including the Top Block slider skate.  I was on crutches a few days for the hamstring, but didn’t go to the doctor. They still gave me $750.00 for pain and suffering. No doubt since she hit me from the rear, she was at fault. The insurance company knew that and gladly paid up. Hope it works out for you.

Roger B said:
Getting hit in the rear your chances are high he will be sighted.  Whether he has insurance is another matter.  You may have a new bike in your future or at least some $ in your pocket.  Glad you are alright.

Getting cited isn’t a big deal to some, drunk who hit me had two felony counts of GBI and child endangerment. Had his kid in the truck when he was driving drunk,he spent four days in jail , got charges dropped to one countGBI and small fines and paying me restitution until I die!

I'm so glad you are OK! Getting hit from behind; even at 5 MPH is so dangerous to a motorcyclist. The helmet can do funny things when the head is snapped back......

I did go to the ER and they ran x-rays and a ct scan of my head.  The doctor told me that even though I had a helmet on, I could still have had a concussion.  Thankfully everything turned out fine.  She gave me medication for pain and a muscle relaxer.  They work!  I'm doing better and I'm just hoping to get everything resolved with the driver's insurance company without any problems.

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Irene

funsize said:
I did go to the ER and they ran x-rays and a ct scan of my head.  The doctor told me that even though I had a helmet on, I could still have had a concussion.  Thankfully everything turned out fine.  She gave me medication for pain and a muscle relaxer.  They work!  I'm doing better and I'm just hoping to get everything resolved with the driver's insurance company without any problems.

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Irene
  :great:

I found out today that the insurance company of the driver who hit me is accepting full responsibility for the accident!  I had not expected that.  I had spoken with their representative last week, I just wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.  I feared that they might drag their feet on my claim but no they're not. 

Also, I should be able to pick up my motorcycle tomorrow, barring any unexpected delays.  I can't wait to ride her again.

Irene

Don’t assume that because you feel ok today, that you don’t have some underlying injuries.

I went down at 19, broke my thumb. Also just twisted my neck. Didn’t seem like much at the time.

Accepted the insurance payout at the time. No wonder they were happy to pay what they did - 30 years later and I’m *still* in pain from that accident.

Soft-tissue injuries aren’t always immediately obvious. Any aches/pains you have now, talk to a doc about, make sure they aren’t going to be long-lasting. I suspect insurance companies know they’re over a barrel with MC injuries, and like to pay off quick.

JimBob said:
Don’t assume that because you feel ok today, that you don’t have some underlying injuries.

I went down at 19, broke my thumb. Also just twisted my neck. Didn’t seem like much at the time.

Accepted the insurance payout at the time. No wonder they were happy to pay what they did - 30 years later and I’m *still* in pain from that accident.

Soft-tissue injuries aren’t always immediately obvious. Any aches/pains you have now, talk to a doc about, make sure they aren’t going to be long-lasting. I suspect insurance companies know they’re over a barrel with MC injuries, and like to pay off quick.

I totally agree.  I'm not signing off on any of the medical until both my.doctor and chiropractor have checked all the the boxes.  I'm willing to wait.  Thanks for the advice

Funsize:

You got that right.  Don't be in a hurry to sign anything.

As an aside:

It's flat amazing what some drivers will say when they are clearly at fault (hitting someone from behind, for example.)  I think it must be the shock talking, seems like.

In 1975, in Fort Collins, I was sitting on the back fender of my car in a parking lot, on a bright sunny day sipping a slushie, when a woman who was not watching where she was going, ran her truck into my front fender.  Loud bang, the car shook, I stood up, turned around, and there she was;  looking at me and her truck bumper embedded in my brand new Porsche 914.  People heard it and saw it, somebody inside a store  called the cops.  Cop showed up and her story was that I HAD RUN INTO HER!  Unbelievable.  Her insurance paid, no problem, but sheesh.

Some people are nuts.