• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Honda RC51

zg

I've been trolling for a RC51 lately, anyone on here have or had one? Any inputs good or bad?  :popcorn:

We're still waiting for your impressions of the fireblade. So when I read this, I'm wondering- is there still a plan to keep a bike at Gumby's?

Diz said:
We're still waiting for your impressions of the fireblade. So when I read this, I'm wondering- is there still a plan to keep a bike at Gumby's?

Lol Diz, the new Blade is freakin awesome, I love it!  :)

As for keeping something down @ Gumby's we'll just have to see, but for now I'm just interested in picking up another toy. The RC51's have intrigued me for awhile, ones that need love can be found for a couple grand, mint ones for $5k-$10k, really cool bikes that are fuel injected & Honda reliable, IMO like a Ducati but without the Ducati BS (parts/labor $...).

Anywho... it's always fun to learn and play with bikes I've not had before, I'm also trying to strategically put together a collection that will still be enjoyable down the road, I think the RC51 might check that box for me, TBD...  :popcorn:

Your stable will really be sport bike oriented with RC51- not that that's a bad thing. And yes Honda reliability cannot be argued. I love my little Honda; it has proven to be rock solid. The Connie has been great but has still required more maintenance with about the same number of miles ridden as the Honda. I think a C-14 valve adjustment is still more expensive than the Goldwing, maybe the vfr and RC51 are on par because of all the tupperware to be removed. Good luck with the search!

Hi Jay.  Hope you and the family are well.

Not sure if this will help.....  I have not owned a RC51 but I did have a VTR Superhawk.  The RC was the souped up and supersport version of the VTR.  I really enjoyed the VTR....Honda's typical high level of refinement (which you are seeing in your CBR), great performance and a low center of gravity.  The low end torque of the V-Twin motor is also nice and adds a bit of uniqueness and character to the bike.  Although I did not do any mods on the VTR, I remember the exhaust note being very engaging too.  I currently have a M900 S4 with a set of Termi's on it and it is an engaging machine to ride.  It may go without saying but typically a V-Twin will not have the same top-end rush as a high performance 4cyl bike....still a blast, just a different experience. 

I expect you would very much enjoy having one in your stable.  Good luck with the search and give a shout if you have any questions I could help with.

Well I will chime in with some worthless opinion. The RC-51 was on my short list of bikes when I was relegated to 1 bike status back in 2005. This was right after  doing a track day where a gent on an RC was having a blast, and his RC sounded so dang good!!! He had aftermarket pipes and had converted to tubular bars so it was more comfy as he was older than I on my stock 2000 ZX-9R.  He rode the expert group and was blistering that machine, he said it was the most fun to be had with your clothes on.

So I was starting to really Jones for a sporting Vee twin, especially after having fun sessions on my sons two '98 Suzuki TL-1000 S machines. I also had a chance to pick up a 2K? VTR-1000 for a good deal, but 1 thing really stopped me from pulling the trigger on any of them.

All reviews and most owner testimony agreed, if you ride them hard/fun, you have about a 90 mile fuel range. I like to do longer road trips, and even flogged as hard as I can leading my son on his TL, my I4 Kawis can easily get me 120-150 miles. (ZX-9/ZX-10). Now that I don't have to have just one bike, i think they would be a fun addition to the stable.

Thx DZ. As a teen in the 80's I do tend to always gravitate back to sport bikes, it's what I grew up riding and feel most comfortable on.

Hey Soda, long time! Yes the uniqueness of and character is a good way of putting that, and one of the reasons for wanting to add a twin to the stable. I've only had one, the KTM 1290SA, and do miss the character of them, the low end grunt is just fun.

Sup ZX,
Indeed on the sound, absolutely beautiful music with a good set of pipes on them. I've heard the same about the tank size, but for what I'd play with it as I'd figure out a way to make do, it is a downside though.

Thx BB!

Thanks guys, keep the feedback and leads coming.

Ideally I'd like to find one on the west coast or east to Utah, that way I can pick it up myself and not have to deal with shipping. I'm looking to find stock or mostly stock and lower miles, they're out there but just take time to find, which personally I think the hunt is part of the fun. I've found 2 so far that check most of the boxes for me, both are priced around $7k, I'd love to come across a deal closer to $5k...

:motonoises:    >:D

I hear you about the hunt. I used to take the GF on an unannounced trip every week or so when I was looking for a 2nd bike. Never told her where we were going and then would pull up at a dealer or private house 75 - 200 miles away where I would look at a bike for sale. Only took her a couple of times to figure out what I meant when I said I was going for a ride.
I looked here on the east coast for you and there are 3 within 100 miles of me all under $7k. Purchase one of them and I will ride it out to you. But you know the bike has such a small fuel tank it would probably take me a couple of weeks to get the bike to you  :))

I had a superhawk which was nice and torquey, rode a rc51 and it most definitely is not...  sounds glorious but soft on the bottom.  I also had a 1290ktm.  Since you had a ktm I think you'll be disappointed in the rc51 motor other than sound.  I don't even remember the handling being all that wonderful.  Honestly I doubt it would match your cbr1000rr.  Super cool bike but dont let the nostalgia cloud your judgment  :beerchug:

Diz said:
I hear you about the hunt. I used to take the GF on an unannounced trip every week or so when I was looking for a 2nd bike. Never told her where we were going and then would pull up at a dealer or private house 75 - 200 miles away where I would look at a bike for sale. Only took her a couple of times to figure out what I meant when I said I was going for a ride.
I looked here on the east coast for you and there are 3 within 100 miles of me all under $7k. Purchase one of them and I will ride it out to you. But you know the bike has such a small fuel tank it would probably take me a couple of weeks to get the bike to you  :))

;D

I did find one in Pennsylvania that checked most of the boxes, but am hopeful to find one on the west coast, I'm in no hurry.

sininja said:
I had a superhawk which was nice and torquey, rode a rc51 and it most definitely is not...  sounds glorious but soft on the bottom.  I also had a 1290ktm.  Since you had a ktm I think you'll be disappointed in the rc51 motor other than sound.  I don't even remember the handling being all that wonderful.  Honestly I doubt it would match your cbr1000rr.  Super cool bike but dont let the nostalgia cloud your judgment  :beerchug:

Oh come on man, purchasing a bike that's almost 20 years old has to be based on nostalgia right?  :)

Agreed a different bike than the new CBR, tech is much different now, still new enough to be fuel injected, keep on a battery tender and have fun when the mood strikes.  :motonoises:

She's no slouch though, winning 2 championships in her 6 year production.  :great:

Good luck with the search Jay!  If something in the upper Midwest appears on the radar, let me know and I could try to do some sleuthing for you.

I agree with you sininja....the cams, tune, etc on the RC51 was built for the track.  Around town the VTR is more enjoyable to ride but oh my....a nice RC51 is a rare item and I think having one would be a real treat. 

If my son and I go for a ride and I take the ZRX1200 or M900S4 and he takes his FZ1....he can easily trounce me performance wise.  But the look, sound, feel of the older bikes adds something beyond the performance.  Oh and the conversations those older bikes stir up is pretty fun too.  :)

I think we would have a really hard time trying to talk some sense into Jay. :)

Hey I'm not against nostalgia!!  I'm still looking hard for a gsxr like yours!!  :truce:  I'm also still on the hunt for a 916/996, shoot even a 999.  All the bikes I wanted when I couldn't afford the insurance rates lol

1965soda said:
But the look, sound, feel of the older bikes adds something beyond the performance.  Oh and the conversations those older bikes stir up is pretty fun too.  :)

sininja said:
Hey I'm not against nostalgia!!  I'm still looking hard for a gsxr like yours!!  :truce:  I'm also still on the hunt for a 916/996, shoot even a 999.  All the bikes I wanted when I couldn't afford the insurance rates lol

:goodpost:  :)

Indeed, the older bikes are just different and seem to have more sole, I wouldn't want only them for a daily rider, but for an occasional rip they sure put a smile on my face!

As for other bikes, yes I'm looking at others too... I think what I've decided is I want a sport v-twin, so have been looking also at Ducati 996 and Suzuki TL1000R along with the RC51.

Are there any other fuel injected sport twins anyone can recommend I add to the list of bikes to consider?  :??: :popcorn:

I'd make sure to add an aprilia to that list, I rode my friends Tuono many times and it was awesome!  They tend to be be even harder to find than Ducatis around me though

ZG said:
1965soda said:
But the look, sound, feel of the older bikes adds something beyond the performance.  Oh and the conversations those older bikes stir up is pretty fun too.  :)

sininja said:
Buell's l are getting pretty inexpensive.Never road one but my buddy sure likes his. Not sure which moel.

:goodpost:  :)

Indeed, the older bikes are just different and seem to have more sole, I wouldn't want only them for a daily rider, but for an occasional rip they sure put a smile on my face!

As for other bikes, yes I'm looking at others too... I think what I've decided is I want a sport v-twin, so have been looking also at Ducati 996 and Suzuki TL1000R along with the RC51.

Are there any other fuel injected sport twins anyone can recommend I add to the list of bikes to consider?  :??: :popcorn:

sininja said:
I'd make sure to add an aprilia to that list, I rode my friends Tuono many times and it was awesome!  They tend to be be even harder to find than Ducatis around me though

Indeed, if I could find a RSV4 in my target price range I'd be all over it, lots of nice quality parts on those.  :)

Well it seems the umbilical cords between these RC51's and there owners is hard to cut, I've had 2 separate deals all set and then the seller changed their mind and decided not to sell...  :(

Wish me luck today, I'm heading out in a few to hopefully return tonight with a RC51 in the back of the truck...  >:D

Good luck. They probably started.. thinking there will never be an RC-52, so better hang on to their choice.

Woohoo, ~500 miles later I have an RC in the garage!  :1rij: :dance:

2002 SP2, never down, ~19k miles, got it for $6200  :great: :great:

PLEASE, for the love of all that is holy, post a sound clip/vid of that beast running and rapping!!
CONGRATA MUTATA!

Drooling over the garage pic but the bumblebee is surrounded by red. Can you change colors on a RC? Would that be wrong? Congrats ZG, the stable is once again in balance with the additional beauty!  :great:

Looks mint!  Probably gotta sell that Suzuki really cheap with shipping now huh?  :beerchug:

Thx guys!  :great:

Raining like the PNW today, I spent the day getting her cleaned up a bit, a couple bumps n bruises but nothing major, I'm very happy with it and looking forward to many fun years ahead!  :motonoises:

ZXtasy said:
audio clip, audio clip, audio clip

I'm not sure how best to do that? I sent one to Gumby, maybe he knows how to upload it here?  :??:

Looks good Jay!  :great:

Your garage is looking a little crowded, I probably have a couple thousand square feet of extra space in my shop. Just start sending them down here, I can easily store a few dozen.  :beerchug:

I'll even ride them for ya.  :motonoises:

Just Cliff said:

Your garage is looking a little crowded, I probably have a couple thousand square feet of extra space in my shop. Just start sending them down here, I can easily store a few dozen.  :beerchug:

Believe that is called maintenance and quality control

ZG said:
ZXtasy said:

I'm not sure how best to do that? I sent one to Gumby, maybe he knows how to upload it here?  :??:
Upload it to youtube and post a link.  You could also just send it to me and I'll get it up for you.

Just Cliff said:

;D Thx Cliff!

Gumby said:
ZG said:
Working on it, sounds like a beefed up moped to me.  :rotflmao:

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0tZtsza5W6_4J1Kye93sgkDVw

Linky no worky?  :??:

Bud said:
ZG said:
ZXtasy said:

Upload it to youtube and post a link.  You could also just send it to me and I'll get it up for you.

I don't have a youtube account, message me your cell # Bud and I'll text you the video, thx!  :great:

I'd really like the next one to be a two stroke.  A silver 1978 RD400 would work.  I would settle for a RD400 Daytona Special though. ;D

Bud said:
I'd really like the next one to be a two stroke.  A silver 1978 RD400 would work.  I would settle for a RD400 Daytona Special though. ;D

Love that two stroke smell...  :72:

WFL said:
Did you get the one for sale in Ut?

Nope, but it was one of my finalists, it had the lowest miles but had a little rougher life and had been down on both sides, with the tank repainted not a direct match. In the end I went for the cleaner bike with more miles, it's a Honda so I don't worry as much about the miles as I do about trying to track down unicorn clean oem bodywork, been there done that and it's a long time consuming process. 

1965soda said:
Congrats Jay!  Looks like you found a great example!

Thx!  :great:

Today I got to take it for a rip finally, ran great, no issues. The sound, feel, and torque of the vtwin with the Yosh pipes is intoxicating!  ;D

Great looking bike Jay! I hope you have many smiles riding that beauty!!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Hi Jay. Was a RC owner for years, mine was a 03 but no different than yours. To get the most out of the old girl you need to spend a bit of cash.With those pipes that you have, its running to rich.It needs a power commander 3 with a dyno tune. Mine came stock with 119hp, after tune 131hp plus some change. Find someone that knows the bike.Have the soft rev limiter taken out, and flapper valve mod done. Go to a 16-41 sprocket set up. You seem like your on the light side for weight, if this is true have the suspension set up for your weight,if not the girl will bounce you around like a pogo stick. HRC pads are in order for the the breaks. If you have deep  pockets have the stock suspension replaced.My choice would be Ohlins of course, but any good company like Kyle Racing will do just fine. I replaced my rear sets with adjustable ones, it made a big difference on the longer rides.I loved that bike,and the sound was intoxicating. I could keep up with anybody in the twists. Anybody can go fast in a straight line. Good luck Jay, ride safe.

Thx guys!  :great:

I think I'll be doing more restoration on this RC than mods, my vision is more on putting it back to stock.  :??:

Another rainy Saturday in the PNW = the RC gets more cleaning.

Got the wheel stickers all cleaned off, individual letters oh my what a pain, and a coat of wax on her. Ordered up some oem parts including grips n levers and some odds n ends, also sourced a set of oem pipes that are in great shape.

Good times!  :)

Scored a set of excellent condition oem pipes that delivered today, also got the clear windscreen mounted.  :great: :great:

Bud said:
I like the shorter stock ones better for sure! :great:

done  :great: :great:

Definitely will help with the sound too, I went on a rip this morning with the Yosh's still on and at high rpm's I feel like folks can here me from a long ways away, not the attention I need or looking for.  C:)

The oem cans actually sound great IMO, I think I'll keep them on for now at least.  :)

:)) :)) :))

I dunno Jay, I've always loved "Yoshi's" pipes, had them on all my older bikes.. bummed out when I crashed and "mud angel" wrecked my KZ, and had to buy a Jardine, to replace my vintage Yoshi muff...  the sound of power...

Nice scooter tho bro, Kudo's for the "back to resto" thing,  :great: :great: :great:

ZG said:
Bud said:
I like the shorter stock ones better for sure! :great:

done  :great: :great:

Definitely will help with the sound too, I went on a rip this morning with the Yosh's still on and at high rpm's I feel like folks can here me from a long ways away, not the attention I need or looking for.  C:)

The oem cans actually sound great IMO, I think I'll keep them on for now at least.  :)

The Yoshis are a great set of cans, but my eyes say the OEM mufflers are a better fit for the bike.

I literally just bought my second bike today and now I guess I’m gonna look for an RC51 or Tl1000R as a 3rd smh....

JJ

Some of the oem parts I ordered are starting to show up, seems everything just takes longer in this covid environment. I got the levers and bar-ends swapped out and some nuts n bolts here and there that were just showing age, front n rear turn signals are supposed to be here by weeks end, I pulled the sides off and was glad to see the aftermarket turn signals that were on it were sliced after the oem connectors, so should be plug n play for me. I didn't see any signs of leaking or being wrecked before so that's all good. Made use of the day with the sides off to do some deep cleaning, all the parts that are never seen, felt good doing it though, very relaxing and therapeutic.

:49:

I really like the way Honda designed the lines of the bike, the way the body work and paint swoop. The tail lights are like the period in a sentence, finishing the effect. No matter what angle the pic, that light shape is perfect. Good choice  :great:

Diz said:
I really like the way Honda designed the lines of the bike, the way the body work and paint swoop. The tail lights are like the period in a sentence, finishing the effect. No matter what angle the pic, that light shape is perfect. Good choice  :great:

Thx DZ!  :great:

My local shop came and picked up the RC this morning, while up there she'll get all her fluids flushed, new battery, chain n sprockets, check the valves, new rubber, a freshly powdercoated set of wheels, and replace some odd's n ends like grips etc.

Gotta love how fast these older bikes undress, only 5 pcs to remove.  :great:

Well we found a couple colors that weren't correct color or finish along the way, that matte finish isn't as easy to match as you'd think... but I think we finally have a winner, shop sent me some pics of the wheels back from the powder coater, beautiful, color and finish matches perfectly! (y)(y)

Got my RC back home today! She's all serviced up, new chain n sprockets, fresh set of powder coated wheels and new rubber. Trying out a set of the Dunlop Q4, have heard great things about the quick warmup and grip but that they don't last long for mileage, sounds perfect for my RC as it will just be an occasional weekend bike. :)