• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Honda VFR 800 RC79 - 8th gen Interceptor

zg

I've been trolling these the past couple months while shopping for a new toy, I think I have a deal in place for buying one tomorrow, it's a red 2014 with only 3k miles on it, original owner that ordered it new. It has the deluxe package which includes optional factory heated grips, ABS, traction control that can be turned off, non-linked brakes, and center stand. These weren't great sellers with a MSRP of just under $14k... but the one I think I'm pulling the trigger on tomorrow I'd be getting for less than half that. They are not the fastest 800 out there but will do everything I'm looking for. The tech on this thing is just amazing IMO (especially for a 2014), factory LED headlights, adjustable seat height, rear seat cowl, quick detach side cases and more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEVEiVW26uo

Anyone else on here have one or had one?

I'm excited!  >:D

That video didn't say to many positive things about the VFR. You should of kept the C14............. :nananana:

I had gen 1...I guess you'd call it.  it was a honda VF750S (Sabre).  a 1992 version.  even back then that bike was wonderful.  the power delivery of the V-4 is just different than the i-4 or the v-twin.  lots of torque which would suck my eyes into the back of my eye sockets.  I'll always remember that feeling!  LOL

the 800s from what I gather are all around wonderful bikes.  it would certainly be on my list to own one again if looking for that type of option.  more like a gentleman's sport tourer with leans toward sport.  I've seen a number of them outfitted with hard bags and used for ST travel.

Are they still shaft drive, or did they go to chain?  mine was a shaftie.  some jacking, but it was 1982 technology.

Sport Rider said:
I had gen 1...I guess you'd call it.  it was a honda VF750S (Sabre).  a 1992 version.  even back then that bike was wonderful.  the power delivery of the V-4 is just different than the i-4 or the v-twin.  lots of torque which would suck my eyes into the back of my eye sockets.  I'll always remember that feeling!  LOL

the 800s from what I gather are all around wonderful bikes.  it would certainly be on my list to own one again if looking for that type of option.  more like a gentleman's sport tourer with leans toward sport.  I've seen a number of them outfitted with hard bags and used for ST travel.

Are they still shaft drive, or did they go to chain?  mine was a shaftie.  some jacking, but it was 1982 technology.

I had one before as well SR, an 06, it was a great bike and Honda bullet-proof but I sold it to buy the ZG because it was too small IMO for 2up loaded, but now that we have the Wing for 2up loaded distance trips I'm wanting to fill the single rider not long distance street void. I love my KTM 500EXC, but it's not great for faster street at and above hwy speeds.

Agree....2 up would not be it's forte.  makes a good solo ST ride though.  But why not the 1200?  just this deal that popped up?

Sport Rider said:
Agree....2 up would not be it's forte.  makes a good solo ST ride though.  But why not the 1200?  just this deal that popped up?

Not finding any 1200's that check all the boxes for me, found some first year 2010's but I wouldn't want to go older than the 2012 once they started getting them sorted.

Oh and sorry I missed your other question, not shaft drive, they're chain.

I just traded in my 2014 VFR for the Connie last Saturday.  The VFR is a great bike and a blast in the mountains.  However, I couldn't afford both the Connie & the VFR and a Road King in the garage, so something had to go.  The Road King isn't going anywhere by declaration of my spouse!

I wanted the Connie for longer distances and getting some additional IBA rides in before it's time to quit.  Another reason for me to get rid of the VFR is because I have no "Off" switch, even at nearly 60 years old.  The VFR isn't a full up sport bike, but close enough to get me into trouble and once I got started in the mountains with it, I couldn't turn it off.  I'll forever miss it (and my GSXR 1000 of days gone by), but it was time.

You'll enjoy the VFR.  Especially when the VTECH kicks in around 6500 RPM.  Nice little kick in the but, and sounds like a Ferrari when it does it.

Congrats.

I had a 100 mile ride 2 years ago. Honda smoothness. Very different from the Connie with handling. The VFR stayed planted but absorbed more of the road. It has plenty of power for 1 rider. Gotta admit I don't get the VTEC thing. The VFR1200 is sweet, love that engine. Went to throttle by wire in 2012, still no cruise control. Insurance on the 2010 VFR 1200 was $200 more per year than my 2012 Connie. Farkles on the 800 expensive?

Check6 said:
I just traded in my 2014 VFR for the Connie last Saturday.  The VFR is a great bike and a blast in the mountains.  However, I couldn't afford both the Connie & the VFR and a Road King in the garage, so something had to go.  The Road King isn't going anywhere by declaration of my spouse!

I wanted the Connie for longer distances and getting some additional IBA rides in before it's time to quit.  Another reason for me to get rid of the VFR is because I have no "Off" switch, even at nearly 60 years old.  The VFR isn't a full up sport bike, but close enough to get me into trouble and once I got started in the mountains with it, I couldn't turn it off.  I'll forever miss it (and my GSXR 1000 of days gone by), but it was time.

You'll enjoy the VFR.  Especially when the VTECH kicks in around 6500 RPM.  Nice little kick in the but, and sounds like a Ferrari when it does it.

Congrats.

Thanks for the post C6, how long did you have your 2014 for? Did you do any mods to it and if so what?

Diz said:
Farkles on the 800 expensive?

TBD Diz, TBD...  ;)

I'd be leaning towards minimal things I think on this one, mostly under the covers like either a PCV or reflash, but just haven't got that far yet.

The bike isn't local to me, I'm heading out in the next hour or so to go see it, hopefully it all works out and it comes home in the back of my truck...  :??:

ZG said:
Check6 said:

Congrats.

Thanks for the post C6, how long did you have your 2014 for? Did you do any mods to it and if so what?

I bought the bike last August as a leftover new model.  The only mods I did was to install a Delkevic slip on and a K&N air filter.  As I said, it was a great bike and I'll always miss it, and the only reason I traded it is because I'm planning another Iron Butt ride next month and the Connie fills that role much better.  I'm nearly 60 years old (in fact I'm scheduling my Iron Butt ride for my 60th birthday) and the Honda, although not a punishing riding position, wouldn't work as well for me.

I've owned about 30 bikes over the years and the VFR was one of my favorites.  Also, the dealership where I bought the Connie gave me more for trade in than I paid for it.  Not a lot, but better than you normally get.

I've been looking for a smaller/lighter bike to add to the stable too.
Will be keeping an eye on your discussion.

Ride safe, Ted

Gumby said:
ONE picture? Totally out of character for ya brotha! ;)

:)) :)) :))

Rest stop pic, always love what these rest stop pics represent when you buy a non-local toy and make your way home, good times!  ;D

Made it home and got her unloaded safe and sound, she's bonding with her stable mates now...  ;D  :great:

She sure is small compared to the Wing!  :wee_hee:  :motonoises:

Nice pic in the garage! The Waste Management recycling bin behind the KTM begs the question- Are we getting ready for some farkling?  :)

Check6 said:
I bought the bike last August as a leftover new model.  The only mods I did was to install a Delkevic slip on and a K&N air filter.  As I said, it was a great bike and I'll always miss it, and the only reason I traded it is because I'm planning another Iron Butt ride next month and the Connie fills that role much better.  I'm nearly 60 years old (in fact I'm scheduling my Iron Butt ride for my 60th birthday) and the Honda, although not a punishing riding position, wouldn't work as well for me.

I've owned about 30 bikes over the years and the VFR was one of my favorites.  Also, the dealership where I bought the Connie gave me more for trade in than I paid for it.  Not a lot, but better than you normally get.

Thx C6 and grats on your Connie, IB ride for the 60th Bday sounds very nice indeed!  :great:

connie_rider said:
I've been looking for a smaller/lighter bike to add to the stable too.
Will be keeping an eye on your discussion.

Ride safe, Ted

Ya you should check these out Ted, I think you'd dig it, lotta tech for the buck. Last night I moved the seat down to the lower position, you can't do this on the fly but it only takes about 5 minutes moving the brackets to the 2nd set of mount holes, wow now I like it even better!  :great: :great:

Diz said:
Nice pic in the garage! The Waste Management recycling bin behind the KTM begs the question- Are we getting ready for some farkling?  :)

Ya DZ I think I need to re-org the garage now to make the space more efficient, but I'll find a way to make it work!  ;D

I already found exhaust system, slip-on, windshield, and Power Commander for it..

Glad to help.
    Ride safe, Ted

PS: We're leaving in Aug for an Alaskan cruise. Until then my retirement resources are a bit stretched..
      After I return, I'll be looking again.. Have been considering a 650 Versys, but the VFR seems promising.

Nice find man!  :great:

And don't forget a to add a fender-eliminator to the farkle budget.

I'm so thankful that you don't need a 10 page thread on how to load/transport a motorcycle. :-[

Vfrs are great bikes. My wife and i rode the 94 4th gen out to the Johnson city ralley. And I've put over 40,000 on my 6th gen in the last 2 yrs. Congrats on the new bike. :)

Gonna be a cooker here in the PNW today, triple digits, got out early this morning to rip around on the new Viffer, swung by my bro Gumby's place to show him the new toy, of course he then had to go take it for a rip!  :motonoises:

I think he needs to buy one now too...  >:D    :pokestick:  ;D

connie_rider said:
I already found exhaust system, slip-on, windshield, and Power Commander for it..

Glad to help.
    Ride safe, Ted

PS: We're leaving in Aug for an Alaskan cruise. Until then my retirement resources are a bit stretched..
      After I return, I'll be looking again.. Have been considering a 650 Versys, but the VFR seems promising.

Do it to it Ted!  :great: :great:

Oh and one other thing I think you'd like Ted, I moved the seat down to the lowest position and I can flat foot it!  :eek:  :great:

LakeTrax said:
Nice find man!  :great:

And don't forget a to add a fender-eliminator to the farkle budget.

I'm so thankful that you don't need a 10 page thread on how to load/transport a motorcycle. :-[

Thx LT!  :beerchug:

As for loading bike in the truck no worries at all, I should have taken a pic of the loading though, had to drive up on a barkdust berm at a store there to take the angle out of the ramp a bit, but all good!  :great: :great:

2wheelrush said:
Vfrs are great bikes. My wife and i rode the 94 4th gen out to the Johnson city ralley. And I've put over 40,000 on my 6th gen in the last 2 yrs. Congrats on the new bike. :)

Honda bullet-proof indeed 2WR!  :motonoises: :great:

Great rip this morning!  :motonoises: :great: :great:

Did almost a 100 miles, some in town, a little highway, but mostly outskirts and twisties...

OMG this thing is a blast, it absolutely loves the high rpm's when the other valves kick in @ 6500 rpm, I pretty much stayed up in the high rpm's in the twisties and power was plenty good for me.  :motonoises:

It seems so small though, probabaly because I'm already use to the Wing, word of warning when going from big bike to small bike be careful putting it on the center stand, I almost threw the Viffer in the neighbors yard!  :eek:

Impressions so far... it's the most comfortable uncomfortable bike I've ridden,  the tech is just flat out amazing, I just realized today it has self-canceling turn signals, not a make or break thing for me on bikes but little things like that on the bike are really starting to add up in my likes column. The sound is amazing, very much reminds me of a Duc or similar with the engine sounds, I think for the first time in my life I'm considering just leaving the oem exhaust on, the sounds is just awesome and intoxicating, especially at high rpm's!  :motonoises:  :great: :great:

I'll keep you folks posted, but I honestly could see me just leaving this bike completely stock!  :-\

ZG said:
I'll keep you folks posted, but I honestly could see me just leaving this bike completely stock!  :-\

:sign0135:      I doubt it.      Not with your track record.

connie_rider said:
ZG, did you get the stock bags with the bike?
Were they sold with bags, or were they an option?

Ride safe, Ted

Nope, the oem Honda cases are an option and not included Ted. I need to get the dims of them, I think they are smaller, something like 35 or 38 liters, if they aren't big enough for my laptop bag then I'll probably just pass, if big enough I'll get them for commuting to work etc. I don't plan on long distance touring too much on this bike, so for the occasional trips I may just go with a tank bag, and soft side and tail bags.

:??:

Just saved you the trouble of looking on the Honda site for luggage- $950 per side saddle bag Mounting kit extra, 29 liter capacity. Honda's OEM cases are pricey and small. The bags on your Interceptor will look nice but carry a six pack home? Only if you take each container out of the cardboard or plastic rings...................

Diz said:
Just saved you the trouble of looking on the Honda site for luggage- $950 per side saddle bag Mounting kit extra, 29 liter capacity. Honda's OEM cases are pricey and small. The bags on your Interceptor will look nice but carry a six pack home? Only if you take each container out of the cardboard or plastic rings...................

Thanks DZ, yes I found that last night as well that they are only 29 liter side cases.  :(

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/interceptor/accessories.aspx

The retail cost of $950 is for BOTH left and right cases and what's needed to mount them, so figure with discount around $800 for the oem side cases. What I haven't been able to find though is the inside measurements of those cases so I can determine if they will fit my laptop? If anyone wants to break out there google kung fu and find that info for me would be awesome, thx!

I went and bought the VFR800 Deluxe our local shop picked up for Jay. He couldn't wait for them though so he drove four hours to get his.

This one only has 1,500 miles on it. :great:

Woohoo!!! Twinzies again!! Grats brutha!!  :)     

:friends: :singing: :49: :06:

Man times goes fast, seems I've come full circle...

This is my last Viffer, an 06, this pic is from 09, about 8 years ago. I ended up letting my last Viffer go because she wasn't great for 2up loaded, replaced it with my ZG, now that we have the Wing for 2up loaded it's nice to have a Viffer again!  :great: :great:

Sag set and fresh set of PR4's mounted on the new VFR  >:D  :great: :great:

Here is my VFR 1200F
vfr_zpsyozfa2hv.jpg

The Honda oem side cases arrived, also got all my wiring done for my Zumo 590, TPX 2.0 radar detector, and heated gear inputs/controls.

:great: :great:

What a beautiful garage!

Tom Taylor COG#7173        P.S.  The bikes aren't bad either.

I was thinking the same thing as the pics revealed the transformation. ZG wrote earlier that he needed to clean up his garage. Amazing what happens when you move the recycling bin and a few other things. And great job on the bike, beautiful!  :great:

:)) :)) :)) Maybe someday when I grow up I can have a garage like that...  ;D

Thanks guys, glad you like!  :beerchug:

Lock set finally arrived from Honda so the panniers could be keyed to match my ignition key, these oem panniers are much smaller than any others I've had on bikes, but I do like the fit and finish of them.  :great:

Very nice brotha!

How are you still getting Photobucket to host images and link to them?

Gumby said:
Very nice brotha!

How are you still getting Photobucket to host images and link to them?

Thx bro!  :beerchug:

As for the photobucket, not sure, I'm not doing anything different than normal/past, I've seen the posts from other folks about something changed but for me it seems to be just the same??  :??:

Maybe it's because I haven't logged out of it? Sorry, no clue?  :017:

Just picked up my new out of the box 2015 VFR800F deluxe!  500 miles this past week end.  need to workout a few seat issues but love it so far.

SamSam said:
Just picked up my new out of the box 2015 VFR800F deluxe!  500 miles this past week end.  need to workout a few seat issues but love it so far.

Grats SS!  :great: :great:

Post up some pics!  :popcorn:

Kawasaki should fire their Ninja 1000 design team.  They could have made it look like that instead?  I don't know..maybe Suzuki threw some sort of design papers into the dumpster, and a Kawi designer found them?

I didn't join the viffer sub club in this forum but did rejoin the greater Honda family. Picked up a NT700v; the Deauxville to become the C-14's stablemate. A 2 cylinder with about 65 HP, driveshaft and integrated side cases. Its appearance was fashioned after the ST1300 but weighs only 525 lbs. I call it my milk and bread bike as in going to the store for those items. Engine is mounted to frame so the vibration comes through although not as much as a Milwaukee paint shaker. Been having a blast running around my rural county. Gets up to 70 MPH faster than 90% of the cages on the road, is happy from 4000-6000 rpms. 65 MPG! Would submit a pic but have spent the last 1/2 hour convincing myself I am an idiot with computers trying to upload a thumbnail Sorry.  :'(

Ya did good ZG that's a purty bike. My favorite Uncle bought a new 94 viffer had gear driven cams and he put a D&D on on it. Sweet!!! Enjoy your new ride. :great:

ZG, a dumb question, if you please....

On our c14's it was difficult/impossible to feel the vvt kick in, or change. I say "was" because Ivans reflash changed this...but as compared to a stock bike...

How about your vfr? Do you feel those extra valves opening, or is it seamless?  I know its not a valid comparison and Hondas system really opens extra valves.

rcannon409 said:

On our c14's it was difficult/impossible to feel the vvt kick in, or change. I say "was" because Ivans reflash changed this...but as compared to a stock bike...

How about your vfr? Do you feel those extra valves opening, or is it seamless?  I know its not a valid comparison and Hondas system really opens extra valves.

It is like hitting power band on a two stroke. You can feel it and definitely hear it, on mine anyways.

Gumby said:
rcannon409 said:

It is like hitting power band on a two stroke. You can feel it and definitely hear it, on mine anyways.

:iagree: :stupid:    :motonoises: :great:

Another COG member took pity on me, walked me through posting pictures on the forum. Thanks John. This is the Deauxville.

Attachments

• the deauxville.jpg
    the deauxville.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 141
Well as good as she is in stock form, 4 months later, I finally added a couple items to the Viffer.  :49:

Arrow slip-on, 1.25" risers, and Ermax dark tint windscreen.

The Arrow badge stenciled on it is dang near a perfect match to the wheels...  :great:

Sorry for the dirty wheels, been riding her in the rain, it's Fall in the PNW.  :truce:  ;D

Diz said:
Do the risers go straight up or tilt the bars back for you? Love that bike!

The risers are visible in the pic DZ, they are flat but the upper triple clamp is angled so yes they are angled back and up. I'm still on the fence if I'll keep them or not, got em used for $40 shipped so thought I'd give em a try...  :??:

Very cool Harry!  :great: :great:

How long have you had it? I've been eyeing the 1200's for awhile, seem like a great value for good clean used ones now days!

I picked it up about a year ago, it is a sportier riding position than the Connie, this one has full exhaust and has been retuned so it really screams.
They handle extremely well.

Harry76 said:
I picked it up about a year ago, it is a sportier riding position than the Connie, this one has full exhaust and has been retuned so it really screams.
They handle extremely well.

Nice! I was really close to pulling the trigger on a blue 2012 last month, so temping... Seems the biggest downside to them is the small tank size, I really like em and will probably get one at some point, the prices on them have really dropped to where it is just an awesome value IMO.  :great: :great:

I love VFR's, and and always had a love affair with Honda v4's since my first '82 Magna 750.
Owned a total of 4 since then, and still miss them all.

The only thing that keeps me from buying a 1200, is that truly ugly Manatee-looking front end.  :-[
It a dead-stop deal-breaker for me.
Well, THAT, and it still has Halogen Headlamps -- which I cannot do any longer.

Awesome bike all the way around other than that.

Thanks for the pics guys.  :great:

gr

Ive noticed 1200's, locally, selling for 6 grand with under 10,000 miles on them.

I believe the later bikes got the larger fuel tank, didn't they?

A friend worked at the local BMW shop and he brought one of these home. A trade in....

It was the dct version.  It felt like a 175hp scooter

I hated the idea of an auto transmission, but it was awesome.

rcannon409 said:
I believe the later bikes got the larger fuel tank, didn't they?

For the US they only sold the 1200 in 2010, 2012, & 2013. The 12/13 model years had a couple small changes, one is the tank size but I think it was only like .2 gallons bigger, so not much at all.

I had Sargent build a heated seat for the Viffer and got an Ermax rear hugger. The heat controller for the seat is mounted next to my heated gear controls, came out pretty sano IMO.  :great: :great:

Been riding her in the PNW road mist quite a bit this year commuting, a nice sunny weekend deserved a bath... 

:TPIWWP:

Check6 said:

Congrats.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above quote, I bought my 2002 new and had the luggage and top case installed as part of the package, sold it 12 years later with 96,000 kilometers on it to a guy who drove in from 500 miles away to buy it, he knew exactly what he wanted and couldn't find one that wasn't trashed anywhere else.  I toured almost all the mileage on mine and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

My first "big" cc's bike, aside from the Honda XR250 from back in the 90's, was an '87 VFR 750. I bought it in 2001, so it was pretty old already, but still kicking!

I loved it and from what I remember, it was stupid fast (well, probably not as much now compared to my Connie), but still. It's a wonderful bike! The pic shows what mine looked like.  :great:

Attachments

• 1987-Honda-VFR700F2-Blue-2.jpg
    1987-Honda-VFR700F2-Blue-2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 151
I find myself debating about the new Wing lately, maybe it's because I'm so entertained by the new Gixxer rescue project, I don't know... 
:??:

So I opted to cover my bases just in case and ordered the color matched Honda 45 liter rear trunk from the UK, it arrived yesterday (for the US you can only order the color matched 31 liter rear trunk). I also ordered the McCruise for the Viffer, been hearing nothing but good about these guys, guess I'll try it out, should be here in a week or two...

>:D >:D >:D

connie_rider said:
Geez, the shipping was probably as much as the trunk!  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

Nope, not bad at all Ted, daily flights from Heathrow to the PNW, I ordered it Monday and it delivered Friday, that's faster than anything from the east coast US.  :eek:

I shopped around, best deal I could find was from NWM in the UK, approx $800 USD including the mount, lock, and shipping. Everyone else seems to be right around a grand + shipping.

https://northwestmotorcyclesdirect.com/Honda-VFR800F-Top-box-45L-08L74-MJN-D01Z_

Got the trunk mounted up, really nice quality kit IMO.  :great:

I find it interesting that the mount is designed to move a half inch side to side on purpose, I'm not quite sure what this adds in terms of stability, anyone have any insight on this? Look at the pic on the right side.  :??:

I'm not sure if I want to attach the passenger backrest or not, I kinda like the looks of the trunk better without it, what do you guys think??

Not sure how often mama would be on the back of the Viffer, a shorter couple hundo mile trip to the coast for the weekend might be fun but that would prob be the extent of her on the back of this bike.

I didn't attach the backrest yet, just laying there in this pic, it does go nicely with the Sargent built rear seat.  :great:

Any thoughts??

I like the look with the backrest attached. Sharpens the lines for the red and finishes where black should be. Course the backrest may not be necessary at all if your rider has a motorcycle jacket with a back pad.
Is the top case a quick release? That wiggle room may be there for the release plate to line up with the base plate? Just guessing cause wiggle room on a farkle is usually not a good thing. Gotta admit; that Viffer looks sweet!

Diz said:
I like the look with the backrest attached. Sharpens the lines for the red and finishes where black should be. Course the backrest may not be necessary at all if your rider has a motorcycle jacket with a back pad.
Is the top case a quick release? That wiggle room may be there for the release plate to line up with the base plate? Just guessing cause wiggle room on a farkle is usually not a good thing. Gotta admit; that Viffer looks sweet!

Thx, yep it's a quick release. Found some info that says it's for high speeds, I've heard stories about top trunks causing wobbles at speed, I guess this is to allow the trunk to have movement at speed without pulling the bike with it.  :eek:  :great:

Got a GRP rear hugger, it's longer in the front than the Ermax I had, I like this one better with the Arrow because it wraps around the front down to the pipe, hopefully keeps some of the road water down.

Also got the Honda 45 liter trunk all mounted and sorted.  :great: :great: