• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Honda VFR 800 RC79 - 8th gen Interceptor

Diz said:
Looks good with the back rest. Had a passenger yet?

Not yet, snowing here the last couple days, crazy PNW weather...

connie_rider said:
Somehow, I suspect {with the bag's loaded} the front end gets really light,, "really fast"!  :-\

Ride safe, Ted

The gen 8 has traction control (ie wheelie control), the good thing is it can be turned off with a push of a button.  :great:  :motonoises:

Jerdurr said:
My first "big" cc's bike, aside from the Honda XR250 from back in the 90's, was an '87 VFR 750. I bought it in 2001, so it was pretty old already, but still kicking!

I loved it and from what I remember, it was stupid fast (well, probably not as much now compared to my Connie), but still. It's a wonderful bike! The pic shows what mine looked like.  :great:

I am not a stranger to the VFR in fact it is the only sport bike I have ever owned a new 87 750 just like this one in blue...

Very nice! Do the hand wings swivel or tilt to fend off air differently or are they fixed like a hand guard?

Diz said:
Very nice! Do the hand wings swivel or tilt to fend off air differently or are they fixed like a hand guard?

They're fixed, rode today, wet and upper 30's, they worked great! I also got a tinted set cause I couldn't decide which to go with and they took about a month to get...

ZG said:
Diz said:

They're fixed, rode today, wet and upper 30's, they worked great! I also got a tinted set cause I couldn't decide which to go with and they took about a month to get...

Soooooo, who makes those hand wings? Linky?
Next time you see Gumby, would you mind sticking those wings alongside his fairing on his C14, to check for fit and take a pic with them taped on??? By the look of them they appear to attach with velcro like mounts correct?

My only complaint on my C14 fairing with the laminar lip, is the amount of rain abuse I get on my hands and lower arms, so those might work nicely...
Lemme know, please... p/m works fine if and when you try them out on his bike.

MAN OF BLUES said:
Soooooo, who makes those hand wings? Linky?
Next time you see Gumby, would you mind sticking those wings alongside his fairing on his C14, to check for fit and take a pic with them taped on??? By the look of them they appear to attach with velcro like mounts correct?

My only complaint on my C14 fairing with the laminar lip, is the amount of rain abuse I get on my hands and lower arms, so those might work nicely...
Lemme know, please... p/m works fine if and when you try them out on his bike.

Hey Rich, you should get the Projekt D ones for your Connie, I thought they worked great.  :great:

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_58&products_id=178

The ones on the Viffer are bolted on using the oem fairing holes, what you see in the pic are just some one sided sticky foam pads to keep them up off the paint, it was closer than I felt comfortable with and I didn't want it rubbing.  ;D

:)

Ah, I see that now... I saw the Proj D ones, didn't flip my fancy, but I'm sure they work,
I'm just poor, and can't spend dough like I used to... :'(
I do have a bunch of Mesa remenants, from work, even some smoked black, so I'll likely just make my own this year...
Saving for that SISF Bubba flash... and gasoline... :rotflmao: :beerchug: :great:
Thanks,

ZG - I am looking at windscreen options for my 15 VFR 800F. Am considering the Puig touring or standard.  I am 5'6' and only need about 2 -3" higher and a little wider screen.  How much higher is the Puig touring over the OEM and where did you get the hand wings?  Also can you post a picture taken from the side so I can see the screen height?  Thanks.  Nice looking ride!

SamSam said:
ZG - I am looking at windscreen options for my 15 VFR 800F. Am considering the Puig touring or standard.  I am 5'6' and only need about 2 -3" higher and a little wider screen.  How much higher is the Puig touring over the OEM and where did you get the hand wings?  Also can you post a picture taken from the side so I can see the screen height?  Thanks.  Nice looking ride!

Hey SS, the hand wings are from Powerbronze

http://www.powerbronzeusa.com/productdetails.aspx?OBJ_ID=27284446

The Puig Tour is great for keeping wind and weather off you if that's your goal, I've been running it the past couple weeks testing it out. Not sure about height diff, I didn't measure oem when it was on, I'd say a good 6 to 8 inches taller. I'll probably just run it in winter and on trips, and run a shorter windscreen for the around town summer months.

First trip of the year last weekend, the annual COG Bun Cooler, great times and roads through the PNW. The Viffer performed awesome, 4 twists on the rear shock and handled on rails even loaded up!  :motonoises: :great:

Donated to Washington passing through...  :truce:

Good to hear from you! How did the viffer's bags handle your gear? Ride with a tank bag? Sorry to hear about your performance award.  :mad:

Diz said:
Good to hear from you! How did the viffer's bags handle your gear? Ride with a tank bag? Sorry to hear about your performance award.  :mad:

Hard bags did great DZ, the tank bag was mostly to lay on as the longer days went on, filled it with my heated gear and other bits I didn't need.  :great:  :bedtime2:

NYbiomed said:
ARGH, get the Uniden R3, no more "performance awards" for you!
:-[

I have the TPX 2.0, the ticket was really ticky tacky IMO, still shocked he even wrote me up, thought for sure he would just say slow down, I felt I was well within exceptable flow of traffic out in rural WA...  :truce:

ZG said:
NYbiomed said:
ARGH, get the Uniden R3, no more "performance awards" for you!
:-[

I have the TPX 2.0, the ticket was really ticky tacky IMO, still shocked he even wrote me up, thought for sure he would just say slow down, I felt I was well within exceptable flow of traffic out in rural WA...  :truce:

I have been singled out while traveling with the flow even while being passed by a few, both on a bike and in a car. One time had a State Patrol behind me for miles in the slow land at about 3 mph over traveling in a group. The group including the Stater we're periodically being passed buy a few that were brave enough to slowly sneak around us. When he finally pulled me over and I asked why he said because I was speeding. I replied with we were both being passed, what about them? He replied back with I didn't catch them I caught you. I had to bite my tongue as to not call him and a******.

I bought one of these for $3.99 with free shipping and no Washington State sales tax.  No tickets with it so far.  ;D

s-l300.jpg

Chris

connie_rider said:
Bike looks good ZG.
Were you happy with the way it did while riding with the other bikes?

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted. We rode some amazing roads, I had to pull over and wait for folks every now and then, but all good, gave me a chance to change my chew, have some water, and take some pics.  ;D :great:

Daboo said:
I bought one of these for $3.99 with free shipping and no Washington State sales tax.  No tickets with it so far.  ;D

s-l300.jpg

Chris

I'll bite....$3.99 does what? $3.99? Sure you don't mean $399?

I think any of us would be skeptical about anything at $3.99....

::)

NYbiomed said:

$13.99 at Walmart. Still a bit skeptical :eek:

NYbiomed said:
Daboo said:

s-l300.jpg

Chris
At the risk of thread drift, I'll explain what happened.  And then we can get back to admiring ZG's VFR and his experiences with the WSP.  ;)

It's true.  I bought one of those generic Chinese radar detectors on eBay for $3.99.  No sales tax.  And it included free shipping.  I figured that for $4, it was worth it for the entertainment.

So I tried to find a review of these somewhere.  I stumbled upon a radar detector forum and asked the question, what would they think of one of these.  One of the replies was that if I paid $4 for it, I paid about $6 too much. Another reply included a link to one they did review, which was a laugh.  (I'd searched for a review, but didn't find it.)

The little glass bubble on the top is supposed to be where it detects a lazer beam.  Well, on theirs, there was nothing under it.  On mine, it is supposed to be powered either by the 12-volt adapter, or a USB connection.  Well, nothing happens when you plug in a USB connector.  I wonder if anything is connected there.

I took it out the first afternoon after getting it and it went off occasionally in town.  I expected that.  I had a Uniden detector back when the national speed limit was 55 mph and I was going cross-country.  It served its purpose on that trip, but was really worthless in town.  Every supermarket automatic door would set it off.  It seemed like my Chinese detector was doing the same thing.  In addition, the collision avoidance systems on new cars will also set off radar detectors.  So I expected it to be going off all the time.  If you want to block those false alarms off, you have to pay a lot more than $4.

We took a vacation out at Long Beach, WA.  On the way, I had the radar detector on the dash, just to see what it would do.  We were crossing the Olympic Peninsula on a pretty deserted road.  There were no towns out there for miles and miles.  No automatic doors to grocery stores.  We didn't even see cars for quite awhile.  And we didn't see any traffic cameras or anything else to set it off.  Just trees on each side of the road.  And it kept going off.  The graphic LED on the front would increase as we got closer to the "radar" and then decrease.  But what was setting it off?

I really think there's no "detector" inside, but a chipset to make it simulate a detector.  :D

I got my money back from the seller.  The sticky rubber mat was worth keeping.  It'll hold my cell phone on the dash very well.  And we got a lot of laughs out of it.  The entertainment value was great.

And like I wrote, I haven't got any tickets since I got it.  That's good!  :D

Chris

Wow., that means I have had mine a year. Between Jami and I, we have put almost 400 miles on it. I guess I don't like it as much as my C14, I just put 4,400 miles on it in one trip :motonoises:

Oh well, it looks damn good in the garage. I think I'll keep it.

Gumby said:
Wow., that means I have had mine a year. Between Jami and I, we have put almost 400 miles on it. I guess I don't like it as much as my C14, I just put 4,400 miles on it in one trip :motonoises:

Oh well, it looks damn good in the garage. I think I'll keep it.

four hundred  :-\  :'(

She does look good though...  :great:

I did a little over 5k, which aint bad for me, no big trips and multiple bikes to play with. Rode her year round and enjoyed all of it, no issues, Honda reliability.  :great:

I love this time of year, Fall is my favorite season in the PNW, good food, football, weather...  :great:

Temps are starting to drop and the rain showers are moving back in, time to put on the wind protection,  Puig Tour windscreen n Powerbronze hand wind protectors.

Thats a very nice VFR ZG.  Totally get wanting a smaller, lighter bike.  I considered pulling the plug on one of those when they came out, but also felt it was overpriced. Nice bikes regardless.  Had a 96 I bought new and still have 2 Honda V4-s in the shop.  I'd love to get another 94-99,

What is that gadget next to your GPS?

luv2fly said:
Thats a very nice VFR ZG.  Totally get wanting a smaller, lighter bike.  I considered pulling the plug on one of those when they came out, but also felt it was overpriced. Nice bikes regardless.  Had a 96 I bought new and still have 2 Honda V4-s in the shop.  I'd love to get another 94-99,

What is that gadget next to your GPS?

Thanks man, ya I think new MSRP was in the mid teens for the Deluxe model, crazy, low mile ones can be had for around $7k now. Next to the Zumo is TPX 2.0 radar/laser detector.

luv2fly said:
...Totally get wanting a smaller, lighter bike.  ...
Not trying to take anything away from the VFR.  They are incredible bikes, and I fell in love with the two versions a fellow commuter had who parked next to me at work for years.

Another one that is largely forgotten is the BMW F800GT.  Like the VFR, it was (is) expensive if you buy new.  However, you can buy them used for a lot less.  If you're looking for a sport-touring bike that is very light (@470 lbs wet), this should be on your short list.  Belt drive.  All day comfortable.  Eats away miles on the freeway, and is easy to flick through the corners.  Top speed is supposedly 140 mph, yet it can get me over 60 mpg at times.

If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to start a thread on the bike.

Chris

Really nice ride ZG! Have a question about the weight of 800. I remember that the VFR1200F was nearly as heavy as the Connie. Is the 800 significantly less?

Diz said:
Really nice ride ZG! Have a question about the weight of 800. I remember that the VFR1200F was nearly as heavy as the Connie. Is the 800 significantly less?

Thx DZ  :beerchug:

The VFR800F is under 500 lbs (498?), the VFR1200F is under 600 lbs (591?), I think the C14 is just under 700 lbs (688?).

I loved my '99 VFR800i. With a Holeshot slip-on, the exhaust note was pure sex accompanied by a chorus of angels (cam-gear whine). I only got rid of it because of the electrical gremlins. Apparently that generations suffered from insufficient wiring in the charging system; I was regularly frying wires and baking the plastic connectors. I had to replace the charging system wiring harness annually in order to keep it running without too much worry. In the end, I moved on to a new/leftover Versys 650 and never looked back. My red '99 was probably the best-looking bike I ever owned, until I got my C14.

Gumby said:
I went and bought the VFR800 Deluxe our local shop picked up for Jay. He couldn't wait for them though so he drove four hours to get his.

This one only has 1,500 miles on it. :great:

Happy Viffer Anniversary brutha!  :beerchug:

Gumby said:
It now has 2,500 miles on it, I have gone 500 miles a year.  :-\

You don't ride it enough you should give it to me  :)

No-no-no-NOOOO!
He should give it to "me".
  After all, I've been jealous {ie; lusting for one} for 2 years..  :great:  :motonoises:  :great:

Ride safe, Ted

Grant said:
You don't ride it enough you should give it to me  :)
No!

connie_rider said:
No-no-no-NOOOO!
He should give it to "me".
  After all, I've been jealous {ie; lusting for one} for 2 years..  :great:  :motonoises:  :great:

Ride safe, Ted
Ah hell no!  ;D

It is garage candy and I am going to put a few more in the new stable. :great:

connie_rider said:
I already found exhaust system, slip-on, windshield, and Power Commander for it..

Glad to help.
    Ride safe, Ted

PS: We're leaving in Aug for an Alaskan cruise. Until then my retirement resources are a bit stretched..
      After I return, I'll be looking again.. Have been considering a 650 Versys, but the VFR seems promising.
Not to throw gas on the fire, but Zlock Racing makes a very affordable 744 big bore kit to boost ye old 650 Versys/SV motor to the 100hp mark. A friend of mine has 50k on his, so it seems reliable as well. What a sleeper that thing is. Options.
Oops my bad, i meant weeStrom, not versys, did a quick 25 trail miles on my dirt bike after work, brain is dead.

Had a 1991 VFR for a long time. Great bike. Rode it cross country SF-NYC. Blue roads all the way.  4900 miles in 10 days. Soft bags worked fine.  Have a 2010 VFR 1200 now. Love it too. What a motor!  Bought my second C14 for longer trips with my wife. Really it’s her bike, I just drive it. Years ago she rode on the back of my Hawk GT (still have it) from NJ to Lake George. Sigh, those days are gone.

That 800 looks beautiful!  It’s the right color too.  Congrats & Enjoy!

Attachments

• CA948BCB-5DA0-4F2C-87EA-61980CFEEFF8.jpeg
    CA948BCB-5DA0-4F2C-87EA-61980CFEEFF8.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 142
You getting many miles on yours? Each of your bikes have a different mission it would seem. Need a lot of miles to exercise the stable  :great:

Diz said:
You getting many miles on yours? Each of your bikes have a different mission it would seem. Need a lot of miles to exercise the stable  :great:

The Viffer is in the front spot of the garage on a tender, summer is typically the season I don't ride the Viffer too much oddly enough, our dry season is so short in the PNW summer is always for riding the sport bikes that don't get out in the wetter months.

I mean it as a compliment that the Viffer is a great mudder.  :great:

I have a 2015 800F that I love for the same reasons noted in the above article. The C10 gets little attention I am afraid but I will never get ride of it.

Reactions: zg