• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Honda VFR800fi

fastenova

I had the opportunity last weekend to rent a 1998 Honda VFR800. This generation is the first fuel-injected variant of the VFR, the last with gear-driven cams and features the 781cc 90* V4 engine that is what I imagine heaven sounds like. This rental was a birthday adventure for me, and the bike has been on my bucket list of bikes to ride as I've always loved the sound of a V4 and I appreciate that the VFR was an early entrant into the sport touring scene.

We rode about 500 miles over two days, doing our best to stay on twisty rural highways with minimal traffic. The bike had a bit more aggressive riding position than I prefer, but otherwise was excellent. The engine is very engaging, the handling was fantastic (the owner had some RaceTech goodies in the front forks, not sure about the shock), and despite making full use of both the tachometer and speedometer, I saw between 42-47 MPG.

It felt pretty quick, but I enjoyed the sound of the motor more than anything else about this bike. The owner has an aftermarket muffler on, with no db killer. It was a little louder than I'd want if I owned the bike, but didn't drone... and the sharp bark of the V4 when blipping the throttle for downshifts was intoxicating.

I took the C14 for a spirited ride yesterday after work so I could try to compare the feeling, and while the Connie is heavier and not as nimble, I feel like it's nearly as fast. It certainly felt more stable and planted due to the extra 200 lbs!

Now I am dreaming of a long-term project: picking up a crashed VFR and shoehorning the engine into an older chassis, leaning toward a UJM from the early 80s that would be a total sleeper... retro-styled but with modern brakes, forks, electronics, etc. and of course that beautiful V4 sound.

Here are a few pictures from our trip, my buddy rented a 2015 BMW 1200GS Adventure. VERY different bikes but we had a blast and he kept up with me just fine! :D

PXL_20220807_165225775.jpg

PXL_20220806_175813777.jpg

PXL_20220806_152826148.jpg

I rented via Twisted Road from a local rider in Portland, OR.

Saturday we rode east into the Columbia River gorge, then cut south through rural Oregon (land of windmills, ranches, and rolling hills). Sunday we went west over the mountain pass via scenic highways through the middle of lava flows and miles of switchbacks, then cut our trip a little short due to 100* temps so we could get back home and out of the heat.

Here's a section of our Sunday morning route on Hwy 242, we lucked out and had almost zero traffic this entire section so were able to have fun on the super twisty parts.

1660063547112.png

I put 135,000 miles on a 99 before I bought the Concours, great bike but eventually the wife and I decided we needed a bit more comfort and I was tired if fooling with chains.99vfr800.jpg

What did you think about the twisted road experience? I've been tempted to put my 05 on there. The fact that I can't stop someone from suing me is a big factor in the decision not to list it. I'm fine with renting one through twisted road if the occasion arises. I'd like to hear some stories of rentals gone bad and how twisted road dealt with it.

Where were you, and where were you able to rent a 98 bike?
The VFR was also on my list of wants.

Ride safe, Ted
I've brought up twisted road on the forum in the past. It didn't get much response IIRC.
I had 2 VFR's. A 500 and a 700. Bought the 700 wrecked. Rebuilt and sold it to a friend's brother. It wasn't fast enough for him, so he traded for a gsxr1100 and ended up killing himself on it.

Attachments

• Pam On The Interceptor.jpg
    Pam On The Interceptor.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Pauls' 3 bikes.jpg
    Pauls' 3 bikes.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 107
What did you think about the twisted road experience? I've been tempted to put my 05 on there. The fact that I can't stop someone from suing me is a big factor in the decision not to list it. I'm fine with renting one through twisted road if the occasion arises. I'd like to hear some stories of rentals gone bad and how twisted road dealt with it.
It was pretty good, a couple minor grips: you can't decline their insurance (if you're covered by your own policy), you have to pay for it then reach out to them with proof that you and the rental bike are covered and they can refund your money. I didn't do that this trip as it was my first time renting from them and I wasn't 100% what level of coverage my existing moto policy would offer, and didn't really have the time to check.

And in another case I found a bike I wanted and rented it, then a couple of days later the owner canceled as he was going to be out of town, so I had to go through the process again. Not too big a deal there but I had already sort of started making plans based on the other bike I had rented.

Personally, I'm not sure I would rent one of my own bikes to a stranger for a little cash. I am fairly protective of my belongings unless I fully trust the person, and I don't really need the cash, so it's a tough sell for me. But I have no problem renting somebody else's because I know I'm going to take very good care of it, and treat it like my own - plus I'm mechanically inclined so I feel like I know what *NOT* to do... something that I'm not confident strangers know.

Reactions: Bud
Nice I had an 03? With vtec. Was a killer bike almost killed me. Had an 87 vfr 700 too wish I kept that one but when I was working at a car dealer I fixed the kids Hellcat. With 2,000 miles he already blew the brakes and rear tires off of it. Before he got a chance to pick the car up he was riding his brothers gsxr foolishly and ended up not making it. Upset me so much I sold my street bike and stuck to dirt for a while. I’m back at it on the street with a death wish though TBH.