• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Horsehoe Mountain Renedvous #3, April 28-may 1st.

Just Cliff

It's official, Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous is coming back again. Make your plans & mark your calenders.

Everything will be pretty much the same as the last 2 years. Burgers & dogs served Fri. night with all the fixings. Sat. will be BBQ, consisting of chicken, pork, slaw & beans. Breakfast will be provided every morning, which will consist of the ever popular fried egg sandwich's or cereal.
For those that arrive on Thurs. when can order pizza & everyone can pitch in.

There will be door prize's & a 50/50 drawing. Showers & porta potty's will be provided.

This is a camping event, registration fee will include a place to camp. We do have 2 rooms in the house for non camping couples, they will be on first come bases.

I'm sure I've left something out. If you are unsure or don't know about this event. Check out the thread from this year & see what you missed.

I would like to see it top 50 this year. Stay tuned & see ya'll here!

I knew I'd leave something out, we can't forget the nightly fire. The s/e region claims to build the biggest fires, but can't the way we do it here.

Hey s/e  :nananana:.

Cliff  :beerchug:

This event is held in Greenbrier, AR. right at the foothills of the Ozarks. All of the good roads are easily reached from here on a day ride, including southern MO.

I have put it on the calendar in pencil...  Lets hope I can make it next year!  Thanks Cliff for putting this on!!!

"The s/e region claims to build the biggest fires, but can't the way we do it here."

We may not be able to build the biggest, but we definitely build the most.
This is a great and well supported rally, and after two years, runs like a top.
I'll be surprised if there isn't 50 riders next year.
Cliff, I'll be in early and leave late as usual, and look forward to us doing some 4 wheeling together.

:bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2:

Great news Cliff! The North Central region will be there in numbers once again I am sure :motonoises: :motonoises:

You and Jimmie and the goils do just an amazing job on this and I can easily see topping 50 this year!  Consider me registrated. >:D

Lord willing, I too will be there for this one!  I can't miss it again and the birthday party will be over with so I should be able to get away!  Only 1 work event that could possibly throw a wrench in it... 

With the discussion between the non campers on the other thread, that jogged my memory of some more details I left out in the original post.

If you are the type to trailer your bike there is plenty of room for trucks & trailers If you would like to bring a camper/motor home there is room for that also.

If you don't camp but would like to try it, without the expense. I'll set you up with a tent & air mattress. Have 3 available. You'll need your own bag or sheets though. If you just want to put a mattress on the shop floor that's fine too.

Shower & porta john will be provided, inside toilet for the women.

I will go talk to the hotel owner & try to negotiate a cut rate COG price. Hotel is 8 miles away.

We will do our best to accommodate any special needs as best as possible.

Thanks for the interest so far!

Ice, ice chest, water & soft drinks will also be furnished.

"If you just want to put a mattress on the shop floor that's fine too."

Cliff's 'shop' floor may not be exactly what you might think it is if you haven't been there. Since I've stayed in it a few times;
Clean concrete floor, well lighted, has a refrigerator and toilet, and you likely could sleep 100 people in it.

I got by the hotel to check on rates & negotiate a better one. Standard rates are $65.00 for exterior rooms & $72.00 for interior.

He's willing to do $50.00 a night, straight across the board. Exterior/interior, single or double doesn't matter. He would like to book at least 10 rooms at that rate. But is willing to work with me on less.

I think $50.00 is a very good price. So if you think you want to attend & hotel it. Post up here & I'll get the details worked out.

AWESOME !! Cliff and Jimmie really know how to put this one on because they learned how to do it from the Southeast group  :great: (just kidding) I will do my best with the ham next year and hope the S.E. group will have a good showing. I will be there God willing.

Bill

IronButtAl said:
"The s/e region claims to build the biggest fires, but can't the way we do it here."

We may not be able to build the biggest, but we definitely build the most.
This is a great and well supported rally, and after two years, runs like a top.
I'll be surprised if there isn't 50 riders next year.
Cliff, I'll be in early and leave late as usual, and look forward to us doing some 4 wheeling together.

You can't disagree that Cliff has the biggest Fire Poker/Stoker that any other region..Come on Al I saw you lookin

Well, It has been recognized that Cliff has dual citizenship. Or at least that is how we see it in the SE.  ;)

IronButtAl said:
Yup, it was a great night. I don't even like Cliff. I just go for the fire & food.....maybe to see you to.

Now Al, you know you can barely go 3 month's without seeing my smiling face  :-*.

handyman said:
Well, It has been recognized that Cliff has dual citizenship. Or at least that is how we see it in the SE.  ;)

I wear my honorary s/e badge proudly too.

Just Cliff said:
I got by the hotel to check on rates & negotiate a better one. Standard rates are $65.00 for exterior rooms & $72.00 for interior.

He's willing to do $50.00 a night, straight across the board. Exterior/interior, single or double doesn't matter. He would like to book at least 10 rooms at that rate. But is willing to work with me on less.

I think $50.00 is a very good price. So if you think you want to attend & hotel it. Post up here & I'll get the details worked out.

Cliff, so the hotel is the Hilltop Inn and Suites, correct?

Bigfoot_16 said:
Just Cliff said:

Yes, Hilltop Inn & Suites, 124 N. Broadview, Greenbrier, AR. 501--679-5100

Cliff, so the hotel is the Hilltop Inn and Suites, correct?

This is on the calendar & registration is open. 44 attended last year from 14 states & 4 regions. Let's top that next year.

Remember, registration fee includes 4 meals, water, soft drinks & a place to camp. Ice chest & ice will also be provided.

See ya'll here!

This is a shout out to all S.E COG members.....if you are planning on going Cliff's event this coming April, I am extending a warm welcome to anyone who needs a stop over night. I am just North of Atlanta near I-75. Clean house,  garage for the bikes and a good meal with the option of adult beverages  :beerchug:. I know it is still early for the event but as we get closer, contact me for more details. I am thinking that this may make it easier for my Florida friends.

Happy New Year!
Bill

^^^^^come on Florida friends!

I'll say the same for anyone east of Knoxville. I'm no Bill, but I'll put you up for a night(!)

Just Cliff said:
Lets start getting signed up, you know you're coming. Still 1 bedroom available.

Thanks for the reminder buddy. Registered a few minutes ago
I do a lot of this stuff ever year, and all of us in the SE area live for events like this. As proud as I am about what we do in our area, I'll say that this is right up there with most all we do in SECOG. Great chance to try camping, available equipment to try the experience from Cliff, lots of knowledge and advise if you want it, and really great people to be with. This is a bargain for a three day event if you can swing the time, and the whole camping experience doesn't get any better than this. Cliff and I cook out brains out to get you well fed. Yup, I'll be in early and leave late.
Thanks Cliff, for getting us together again.

WOW.....4 months out and we already have 7 signed up! I think you might have a new attendance record brewing! I already have one ham freebie set aside Cliff.

Bill

Cliff, I penciled it in on my calendar too, as I have a lot going on in that time frame.
But, I penciled it in, in INK...

You'll be happy to know, I bought a tent!. (So, don't pick on me this year....)  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

Jim, I would certainly volunteer as long as everything stays where it is right now and I can make it up!  Many changes coming again my way...  we will see!

:great: Great news Cliff. I am going to log this in my head. Wont beable to sign up for a bit but I hope my body will be ready in April. Had a blast last year. :beerchug: my friends

Ranger Jim said:
Hey Ted! Who you gonna get to show you how to put up a tent? :rotflmao:

You have to put the tent up?  :-[

Actually, no one has to show me how to do it.
I intend to bitch and whine until you (or a nice guy) does it for me...

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Ranger Jim said:

Ride safe, Ted

Now that's the Ted we all know and love!

:))

Matt

connie_rider said:
Cliff, I penciled it in on my calendar too, as I have a lot going on in that time frame.
But, I penciled it in, in INK...

You'll be happy to know, I bought a tent!. (So, don't pick on me this year....)  ;) Now Al, that's a different story. I'll pick on him.

Ride safe, Ted

Glad to hear you're coming back Ted, that must mean you had a good time last year. Or you just want to see if I can right this year.

Congratulations on your textile Hilton. Once you get camping figured out with all the proper gear. It's more enjoyable than that stuffy ole motorhome you were in last year.

I wouldn't pick on you Ted, I might laugh while you put up your tent though  :nananana:!

Moto2wheelin said:
Jim, I would certainly volunteer as long as everything stays where it is right now and I can make it up!  Many changes coming again my way...  we will see!

I certainly hope you & your dad both can make it Brian.

Laughing is expected!
You'll understand better when you see my tent. <evil grin>  ;)

I've extended an invite to your Rendezvous to several others.
Need others to enjoy this event too!

Ride safe, Ted

I sure hope I can squeeze this in. I had a great time last year. Lots of things on my agenda this year. 
Cliff are you going to put the group to work on that new mansion you discussed in the fall ?

LSGiant said:
I sure hope I can squeeze this in. I had a great time last year. Lots of things on my agenda this year. 
Cliff are you going to put the group to work on that new mansion you discussed in the fall ?

Jeff, I sure hope you can squeeze it in & drag along a group of northerner's with you.

No mansion for me, but a smaller house is still in the works. Getting closer, but no rush. I couldn't put ya'll to work anyway. You're here to ride, eat & drink!

Signed up and looking forward to it.

Cliff,

Were you able to arrange the $50 motel rate? I haven't called the motel yet.

I really wish we could ditch the AREA portion of our profiles.  SOUTHWEST area is in NO way close to where Colorado is.  And everytime I look over, trying to figure out others is just worthless.
:mad:

Graphicjunkie said:
I really wish we could ditch the AREA portion of our profiles.  SOUTHWEST area is in NO way close to where Colorado is.  And everytime I look over, trying to figure out others is just worthless.
:mad:
Well, it is kinda like the wizard of oz. There is a lot going on behind the curtain that requires a segmented organization. Back to regularly scheduled programming.

This is going gone a good one. I'm even thinking of taking the long way around to Cliff's.

Cheers,
Randy

Bigfoot_16 said:
Signed up and looking forward to it.

Cliff,

Were you able to arrange the $50 motel rate? I haven't called the motel yet.

As far as the room rates go, he was wanting to book at least 10 rooms for that rate. So far everyone is camping with no interest shown in the rooms. I don't feel like it will be a problem though, I just did a small job for him with no charge. I will go talk to him again & remind him of this.

So stay tuned here for a code word or secret handshake to get that rate.

Just don't book rooms yet, at least till you read something here or talk to me. They're not going to be booked up.

Looking forward to this, I feel like we'll fill up this year.

I am planning to attend and will rent a room, but need to wait until a little closer to the event to finalize.

Cliff, I have this on my calendar and plan to attend.  Thanks for putting this on again!!!

Gremlin said:
I am planning to attend and will rent a room, but need to wait until a little closer to the event to finalize.

Look forward having to some new faces Gremlin!

Loren said:
Cliff, I have this on my calendar and plan to attend.  Thanks for putting this on again!!!

Glad to have you back Loren. I like yellow, got any yellow tee shirts  :rotflmao:?

For those that are staying at the hotel, Hilltop Inn & Suites. I went by there today to confirm the rate. He has the discounted rate of $50.00 entered in the computer for these dates. You should only have to mention COG to get the rate. You will have a choice of inside or outside rooms.
If there should be a problem, contact me & I'll take care of it.

This hotel has a section were the rooms open to the parking lot. The way they used to build them, you can park in front of your door. Those would be outside rooms. Then it also has rooms were you have to go in thru the lobby & down a hall. The way they're built now, these are inside rooms.

Hope this makes sense, see ya'll here!

So, some people up here in the north are considering trailering their bikes to this event. Those folks prefer to remain unnamed but since I have a trailer they have made me aware of this desire. If one was to trailer down his new non Kawasaki dual sport would there be good places to ride ? I am prepared for the ridicule and shame of hauling my bike and not buying a Kawasaki but I will put on my big boy pants and suck it up for the comfort and good of my other Concours friends who desire to attend this event.

LSG, trailering is not shameful if you do it to get to a COG event.  :great:
        (Sometimes embarrassing, but not shameful) 

"However",, trailering IS SHAMEFUL if a person has to ask a wise man with a trailer to haul their broken bike home.  :rotflmao: 

NOTE: Persons in this position are required to "buy"..  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

Hey Ted,
  We could always do the "Sturgis thing". You know trailer our bikes until we get about 10 miles out of town and then ride in with our tents strapped to the back of the bikes. 
I looked the other day and it appears I do have a tent after all. Of course I was saving it for the zombie apocalypse. But I guess we can sleep on the ground if necessary. 

Jim, they said I had to sleep in a tent this year. (but they didn't specify the tent)  ;)

So, I'm bringing an 8 man tent (w/porch), cot, mattress, fan, chair, sheets, blankets, pillow, lantern, "etc".
Gonna be rough strapping all that to my back, but,, I guess I can do it.
Mebbe we can trailer to within 2 miles?

PS; Shhh, don't tell anyone about my plans..  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

LSGiant said:
So, some people up here in the north are considering trailering their bikes to this event. Those folks prefer to remain unnamed but since I have a trailer they have made me aware of this desire. If one was to trailer down his new non Kawasaki dual sport would there be good places to ride ? I am prepared for the ridicule and shame of hauling my bike and not buying a Kawasaki but I will put on my big boy pants and suck it up for the comfort and good of my other Concours friends who desire to attend this event.

Jeff, you will here nothing from me. If that's what it takes I'm good with it, I don't care to ride a dual sport that far either. So trailer away!

As far as trails go, they're are plenty. There's enough joining my property to entertain you for about 1/2 a day, maybe more.

The Ozark & Quachita National forest both have plenty. Just search ATV/dual sport trails. Brock Creek is probably the closest & easiest to get to, about 50 miles from here. It is also part of the Trans Continental Trail which crosses just north of here.

1 to 1 1/2 hours north or south of here & you can be on trails. Lots of them.

I am planning on riding. I have to work for awhile on Thursday and then heading out. The Connie covers the miles much quicker than my trailer. I don't know how far I will make it Thursday but I will arrive Friday. I am pretty sure I will shame the other northern folks to do the same.

Big Jim,,,, That's a good GREAT idea. I "LIKE IT"!!!
    Little Jim, go to the Wildflower 2 weeks "after" the Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous.
    The rest of us will; go to the Wildflower 2 weeks "before" the Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Sorry ya can't be there Buddy..
      We'll miss yer happy smilin' face...

Jim Snyder said:
Well scratch me off the list, someone else already took that weekend on the vacation calendar. RATS !!

Well that sucks Jim. Work is over rated, you should just blow it off & come anyway  :).

Bill said:
This is a shout out to all S.E COG members.....if you are planning on going Cliff's event this coming April, I am extending a warm welcome to anyone who needs a stop over night. I am just North of Atlanta near I-75. Clean house,  garage for the bikes and a good meal with the option of adult beverages  :beerchug:. I know it is still early for the event but as we get closer, contact me for more details. I am thinking that this may make it easier for my Florida friends.

Happy New Year!
Bill

Ohh, me too?? Or am I too close??

connie_rider said:
Ranger Jim said:

Ride safe, Ted

Really? We have these? And, ahem, apparently Jim ain't one....  :rotflmao:

Ranger Jim?
You ask,, "Apparently" Jim ain't a Nice guy?  :rotflmao:
    Haaaa!!!

With Jim S not going, my plans have changed too.
Bob is going and offered to let me travel with him.
So, the the tent I'll be staying in,,, rolls, and has a flat screen TV.
But, I'll bring a tent with me. (In case you find a way to shame bribe me into sleeping in a tent).

Did I mention OtP?

Ride safe, Ted

:'( I was considering coming to this rally but now ... . :??:  I may just have to go to the Unofficial Official SECOG Spring Rally over at Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah, NC.  :p  :nananana:

Hey TED!  Be sure to get Tom to tell his joke about Hugh. Then get him to dance.  :rotflmao:  Actually, that might make it worth coming to this one.  :motonoises:

Ranger Jim said:
:'( I was considering coming to this rally but now ... . :??:  I may just have to go to the Unofficial Official SECOG Spring Rally over at Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah, NC.  :p  :nananana:

Hey TED!  Be sure to get Tom to tell his joke about Hugh. Then get him to dance.  :rotflmao:  Actually, that might make it worth coming to this one.  :motonoises:

Hey Jim, you don't really want to go hang out with Dave.  All the cool kids will be here  :nananana:.

I can pretty much garrunteee a larger fire will be in Arkansas. You may even be able to see it from the Carolinas if Cliff breaks out the bucket loader.

Just Cliff said:
Ranger Jim said:

Hey Jim, you don't really want to go hang out with Dave.  All the cool kids will be here  :nananana:.

Jim, Cliff just made your decision for you, your either cool or you ain't.

Ranger Jim said:
:eek: Decisions. decisions.  :??:  :eek:

Not really.

handyman said:
I can pretty much garrunteee a larger fire will be in Arkansas. You may even be able to see it from the Carolinas if Cliff breaks out the bucket loader.

I just happened to start a small pile this weekend. Maybe I'll have a chance to get some size to it in the next month!

Attachments

• 20160305_151910.jpeg
    20160305_151910.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 20160305_151910.jpeg
    20160305_151910.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 118
connie_rider said:
I guess ya'll realize he has about another month to add MORE firewood!  :sign0137:

OMG!!!

Ride safe, Ted

I'll need that time to cut more wood, Fireman Phil is coming. Once you see him in action you'll understand. Now if Doug Re shows up also, I don't think I can cut enough wood for both of them :rotflmao:.

Just Cliff said:
connie_rider said:
I guess ya'll realize he has about another month to add MORE firewood!  :sign0137:

OMG!!!

Ride safe, Ted

I'll need that time to cut more wood, Fireman Phil is coming. Once you see him in action you'll understand. Now if Doug Re shows up also, I don't think I can cut enough wood for both of them :rotflmao:.

Doug doesn't need cut wood. Just logs and gasoline  :-\

His style of cutting wood is; cut tree down
                                        drag to pile
                                        add to pile with tractor
                                        cut another tree down
                                        drag to pile
                                        add to pile with tractor
                                        repeat until it's time for a beer

Ride safe, Ted

Gumby said:
Fais said:
Doug doesn't need cut wood. Just logs and gasoline  :-\

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :103:

I wish Arkansas was a day ride away...  :truce:

Me too, then you could make here & I could make to the Bunn Cooler!

Alan_Yucius_FL said:
          :)  Who's riding  up from Florida?  ;)

You, Roman & some others  :rotflmao:.

Kamiah is way closer, I expect to see you and Jimi there to celebrate the 25th Anniversary?  :whoo:

I could possibly do this in a day, but I don't think Jami would be happy about it. We are going to put his rally on our 2017 calendar though.  :beerchug:

I love a good fire.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Gumby said:
Kamiah is way closer, I expect to see you and Jimi there to celebrate the 25th Anniversary?  :whoo:

Problem for me attending the Bunn Cooler is, it's 2 weeks after my rally & 1 month before the Nationals. I'll already be off a week or more prepping for my rally, then off again a week for the Nationals.

So unless I quit working, I don't see it happening. I would love to though, that is a great area!

Does anyone have gpx day ride routes from Cliff's place?  I'd love to have some pre loaded before I get there :)

2fast said:
Does anyone have gpx day ride routes from Cliff's place?  I'd love to have some pre loaded before I get there :)

I'm working on that Brian. I just have a couple of hurdles to clear first, I don't use a GPS & I can barely use a computer. Randy has volunteered to help out with this though.

Stay tuned!

Gumby,  you are an animal...  I have a conference in Tacoma the week before, so it is doubful that I will make it to Cliff's.  The real issue is that I have ridden from Kansas City to this conference two of the last three years (Baton Rouge, LA & Daytona FL), but I was not going to ride this year because I was afraid that Tacoma would be too far and that crossing the Rocky Mountains in April could be problematic.

Gumby said:

I could possibly do this in a day, but I don't think Jami would be happy about it. We are going to put his rally on our 2017 calendar though.  :beerchug:

2fast said:
[/quote

I may be able to help you.  If I recall I create a couple of routes last year from directions Cliff provided.  I will check this evening and let you know.

Brian said:
2fast said:
[/quote

I may be able to help you.  If I recall I create a couple of routes last year from directions Cliff provided.  I will check this evening and let you know.

That's right Brian will have the FJR tracks so the KLRs will have something

LSGiant said:
Brian said:
2fast said:
[/quote

That's right Brian will have the FJR tracks so the KLRs will have something

I am not sure what your trying say there Jeff. FJR, KLR, KTM C14 they're all good....

Attached is a gpx of the 3 routes I created last year using the directions Cliff posted in last years event thread. 

For Cliff's directions start here and scroll down: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=52956.msg444002#msg444002

For anyone doing the GLMC Grand Tour, Hankins General Store, one of the Arkansas Specific locations is on route 1 and 3.

http://www.glmc.org/grand_tour.php

Now for the disclaimer... I attempted to follow Cliff's directions using Garmin's Basecamp. They have not be ridden and I make no claim they are perfect, but I think they are close.

I needed to post the file as a compressed zip file because it was too big.  Once uncompressed it should it should import into Basecamp or open with MapSource.

Attachments

• ArkansasDayRides.zip
    287.1 KB · Views: 107
What the routes look like on the map......

Attachments

• Arkansas Route 1.PNG
    Arkansas Route 1.PNG
    312.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Arkansas Route 2.PNG
    Arkansas Route 2.PNG
    179.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Arkansas Route 3.PNG
    Arkansas Route 3.PNG
    270.5 KB · Views: 117
Here are a couple more. The possibilities are endless for riding in Arkansas.

Randy

Attachments

• Rock-Creek-Township.gpx
    2.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Greenbrier-loop-2.gpx
    2.1 KB · Views: 102