• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hot Grips

jmoretz

Bicycle
Does anyone have any thoughts on installing Hot Grips? I am thinking about it to ride a little longer this year. I like the idea that they are all one piece instead of a pad that's glued on? They look good on their website just curious to get the low down from the experts! Thanks, John Moretz COG# 8462

I bought the Symtec heated grips. I has to install a plastic sleeve on the metal handle for the clutch side because the metal bar drew too much heat out of the heater coils. I used a little soapy water to get the stock grips on and off. They work great now. They really get hot and keep your hands warm. I've been riding in 30 degree weather with them on high and I occasionally have to open my hand to let a little cold air in. The rocker switch looks very nice when installed. I'm very happy with the product and their support is great. symtec-inc.com, Item code: 210019RR

I've had Hotgrips. They work well, are long lasting and heat up quickly. And you don't have the cold left bar syndrome. However, they are substantially thicker and harder than stock, probably their biggest drawback, and also not cheap. A friend who has tried all the options recommends the Oxford Heaterz, very similar concept to the hotgrips, but come with an electronic variable controller, and are more like standard grips in feel and size. Whichever version you go for, a variable electronic controller is a must-have for me. I'm using Murph's grips on my ZX12R (I think they are Dual Stars), and find that I didn't have to insulate the left bar as they are designed to run warmer on the left to compensate. Work pretty well, good be a little warmer at sub-20 temps at freeway speed.

I had the hot grips brand for several years beforer they wore out. Literally after about 70K I wore through the grips and shorted them out. They do work very well and no complaints on their life span. However I didn't want to spend the money on them again so I opted for Murphs crips and his heaters. The hotgrips are warmer, but I do like Murphs grips better. All in all Murphs are fine with the hi/Lo switch and eazsy enough to install. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

I have HotGrips on both bikes and like them, but as Tony says they are large diameter, which I like, and HARD. Great for heat, but if you tend to lean on your hands, you may not like them. Go to their website,and you may find a picture of a new (?) "ergo" style, looks like it might be softer, more comfortable contour. If you do decide to go with HotGrips brand, there is a neat way to install the left side without glueing it to the bar, if you can't find the instructions on the website, I can email it to you. Makes it much easier if you ever want to change them out. Lots of guys on the Stromtrooper forum are using the Oxfords, they look pretty nice, haven't seen them in real life yet, though. Anything is better thn cold hands.

I opted for the Oxford hot grips. They are actually a over top of the grips idea. Due to the temps up here in Canada I need more heat to my hands. They have 2 settings off & on... warm, getting nice, okay very warm, my freeking hands are melting so turn OFF. yes that hot They just wrap around your grips with a big velcro strip and have a quick disconnect. so you can have them on or off the bike in a matter of seconds and put in your pocket or tank bag, They are great in the rain no slipy grips as they keep the grips dry as well as your palms and fingers, the top of your hands might be wet but thats all. I did need to replace mine this year ans one wrap failed so now I have a spare. I figure they were worth the $50.00 as I did about 75000k out of them in 18 months. Ya I ride alot Have fun & Keep warm JOhn You'll never know where I'll be or when I'll be their as i'm riding in the wind.

I installed HotGrips on my Concours in 2004. Work great. Never any problems. They are controlled with a HeatTroller that I mounted on one of Larry Buck's dash shelves. See http://www.concours.org/co/tech_dash_shelf.htm . In the photo on the right, the HeatTroller is the knob on the left front of the dash. The second HeatTroller knob is to control my electric vest. The hanging wire and SAE connector has been replaced by a more sanitary looking BMW plug.

Thanks for the lead on the shelf I just went through Georgia Friday I-95 a week ago & I-75 last friday should have checked my mail when I was away lol Hope your trip was a blast - did you sent a right up into GOG ? john You'll never know where I'll be or when I'll be their as i'm riding in the wind.

Bob, did you make or buy the plastic sleeve for the clutch side? I am interested in doing this and would appreciate the benefit of your experience. thanks David David in Jax, FL COG# 7898 CDA # 2002 ZZR-1200 "Magic Carpet" 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC "Luxury Couch"