• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Houston area Concours riders?

I am in the process of moving to Houston and would really like to find some fellow Concours riders to meet up with once it cools off a little.  Also, suggestions on roads in the Houston area worth riding would be appreciated.

Drew, I'm in Houston. Will help ya find some after you arrive. Right now it's to durned HOT to ride!!!!
In which part of Houston will you be located? I'm North Houston near Airport/Hwy 45 north.

Ride safe, Ted

The coolest guys in Texas are all north of Houston.  Because it's so humid there.  LOL 

Are you from Texas or are you relocating from somewhere else?  :)  Good luck with the move and welcome to the site.

Thank you... That would be me.
I'm 5 miles "North" of the Houston City limits!!!!  (Kinda)    <grin>
ONLY 102*    80% Humidity today.., Yahoooooooooo

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks guys - it is definitely too hot to be riding in TX.  I currently live in the Longview/Tyler area and will be living in the 610/290/43rd area.  I know my way around Houston reasonably well (well some parts anyways) as I grew up out in Katy and most of my family is in the area.  I look forward to meeting up with you guys sometime. 

Brad the Houston area assistant area director said he was going to have something this fall but no details yet.  You need to plan on a trip to Arkansas this fall and next spring too.  The fall rally is already on the calendar so go get you a room for it.  The National rally will be next June and there are threads about that also that you can use to book a room up there.  There is no riding in Houston that can compare. :)

JUST MOVED TO HOUSTON  :mad:

Dear Diary, I just moved to Houston! Really heating up. Got to 100
today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an
air-conditioned car.
What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into
a sun worshiper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus
and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing the lawn for me.
Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get
used to this kind of heat? At least, it's kind of windy though. But getting
used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the community pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my
body. Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my
lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I missed Lomita (my cat) sneaking into the car when I left this
morning. By the time I got to the hot car at noon, Lomita had died
and swollen up
to the size of a shopping bag, then popped like a water balloon. The car
now smells like Kibbles and Sh__s. I learned my lesson though. No more
pets in this heat. Good ol' Mr. Sun strikes again.

July 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And it's
hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman
charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3 nights now, $225,000 house
and I can't even go inside. Lomita is the lucky one. Why did I ever come
here?

Aug. 4th:
Its 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost
$500 and gets the temperature down to 85. I hate this stupid City.

Aug. 8th:
If another wise ass cracks, 'Hot enough for you today?' I'm going to
strangle him. D__n heat. By the time I get to work, the radiator is
boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

Aug. 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and when I sat on
the seats in the car, I thought my ass was on fire. My skin melted to the
seat. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and
a__ . . . Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried a__, and baked cat.

Aug 10th:
The weather report might as well be a d__n recording. Hot and sunny.
Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do shit for 2 damn
months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn City? Water rationing will be next, so my  $1700 worth of cactus will just dry up and blow over. Even the cactus can't live in this d__n heat.

Aug. 14th:
Welcome to HELL! Temperature got to 115 today. Cactus’ are dead.
Forgot to crack the window and blew the damn windshield out of the car. The
installer came to fix it and guess what he asked me??? "Hot enough for you
today?" My sister had to spend $1,500 to bail me out of jail. Freaking Houston .
What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here??

Will write later to let you know how the trial goes…

"It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!!"

Proof that this wasn't actually written about Houston.  A blow DRYER would be a huge improvement over Houston summers.

Necron99 said:
The coolest guys in Texas are all north of Houston.  Because it's so humid there.  LOL 

Are you from Texas or are you relocating from somewhere else?  :)  Good luck with the move and welcome to the site.
Maybe so, but the HOTTEST guys in Texas are South of Houston... SOuth and WEst to be precise.  :)
I'm in El Campo which is about an hour's ride from Houston on hwy 59 toward Victoria.  I am formerly of the Texas Hill COuntry (Kerrville) but now I have a couple of on-ramps nearby to run up and down to get my twisties and elevation changes in.  :))

^-^Hi guys, I'm in Pearland and work in the Med Center.  Grew up in this area so the humid heat feels like home.  I ride either my wing or my connie to work pretty much every day.  I'd like to be in the loop if there's a group riding somewhere around here in the future.  Put me on the mailing list!

Texasdw,
Contact the Area Assistant Director and have him add you to his email list.  Here is a link to our area web page and the contact list.
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=24093

Texasdw,
Brad is the (Houston) AAD that you will need to contact.

Ride safe, Ted

Brad Rhoton, Southeast Texas Assistant Area Director

I live in Sugar Land and I recently purchased a 2011 c14. Please contact me of any rides or events.
Thanks
Roland

Streetglide, we'll try to do that.
But do the same as we suggested for Texasdw,,, contact Brad and get your name on the mailing list.....
That way you'll probably know more than we do...

See ya'll on the road.

Ride safe, Ted

I call home Houston, but "LIVE" north towards the Sam Houston Forest most any weekend morning before someone turns on the hair dryer. Mostly in the east side of the forest betwen New Waverly, Huntsville, Point Blank and Cleveland. Sometimes go over to the west side to Hwy 149, but there is more milage of true forest roads to the east. I think half of my 65K miles have been spent up here in the forest.  When it gets a little cooler (I can remember those days), east, over towards Woodville has some good roads too for 4-6 hour rides.  As long as you go north from Houston, away from the traffic, all is good.

Don

I live in the Spring area = NW of Houston. I finally got to ride to one of my favorite resturants in Chappell Hill last Friday and rode one of my favorite roads back home. managed to get home before 2pm so not too hot. I plan on making same ride this coming week, probably Thursday. I work on weekends.  Welcome any company. Most likely leave home after 5pm get coffee at Shell station at Huffmeister and 290. Quick ride up 290 to Chappell Hill resturant for breakfast then leisurely ride home on some great twisty roads.

Update; 2 good rides scheduled for march April. Big Bend (Ride the Twisties March 23-25) and the Wildflower (April 13-15).

Contact me as time gets nearer and we can meet up.
Look them up here on the Forum. Both rides being discussed.

Ride safe, Ted