• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How do you load a passenger?

diz@ct

Wine helps with my usual passenger but that is not conducive to her getting on the bike. My question is about the different ways a passenger may mount the motorcycle.

As the driver, I follow a certain routine. I have the passenger load from the left side with the bike on the side stand. I stand on the right with my hand on the front brake. The passenger will ordinarily step on the driver peg and swing her leg over the seat and sit in the driver's position. Then she is able to comfortably slide backwards to the passenger seat. This method is comfortable for her. I can still step through and sit. Disclaimer- I can flat foot in the seated position. I'm not yet having difficulty rolling the bike upright with a passenger.

I insist the passenger load from the kick stand side if this method is being used. This is for safety. Bike on its side stand cannot be rocked into the "tipping zone" if passenger stands on the corresponding foot peg. I'm on the other side to prevent the bike from tipping my way when the passenger shifts weight to sit. My ability to inhibit the bike's forward or backward movement is the hand brake. And I rarely have the bike running in neutral gear while the process occurs. It also easier for her swinging boot to miss the saddlebag.

I wonder how others reading this load their passengers and why it works for both driver and passenger. I do have stories where other methods did not work...

I typically like the bike to be upright with my feet solidly planted on the ground.  My wife will mount from the side stand side, and put her hand on my shoulder and step over the seat.  When she grabs my shoulder, she either looks or asks... "ready?" and I respond with a nod or a "yes"  (sometimes no... if I am not).  Now this was a lot harder on the C-10 due to the pegs and height.  She mounts the HD easily, and we only have a little practice on the GS.

He has mounted from the side stand, but that is rare.  She will sometimes stay on the bike when fuelling on the side stand, and dismount from there without me in the way.

I am just a bit leery about all that weight on the side stand - no offense to my wife intended  ;)

MizzouMike said:
I typically like the bike to be upright with my feet solidly planted on the ground.  My wife will mount from the side stand side, and put her hand on my shoulder and step over the seat.  When she grabs my shoulder, she either looks or asks... "ready?" and I respond with a nod or a "yes"  (sometimes no... if I am not).  Now this was a lot harder on the C-10 due to the pegs and height.  She mounts the HD easily, and we only have a little practice on the GS.

He has mounted from the side stand, but that is rare.  She will sometimes stay on the bike when fuelling on the side stand, and dismount from there without me in the way.

I am just a bit leery about all that weight on the side stand - no offense to my wife intended  ;)

What Mike said except for refueling.

I've seen many mishaps during this process, and all of them resulted in some $$ and bruises.

I have it down to a science pretty much, and make it as safe as possible for both of us, and the bike.

First and most important, is everyone needs to be completely geared up... helmet on, gloves on, suit comfey, all pockets zipped, etc'''

I mount the bike, and sit, ready to start off... BIKE IS NOT RUNNING...
Sidestand down, feet planted and a firm hold on both bars...
The "pre-mounting" commands are given... "ready", mount... now the communication is important, so work that part out ahead of time...
when I say "ok, get on", she grabs a "handfull" of jacket, at both shoulders (not my shoulders, but the jacket itself, and a firm handful grip at that), and holds on tightly, then puts her foot on her left peg, and pulls (not tugs) firmly and smoothly to lift herself to where she can swing her leg over (while I'm leaning forward so she doesn't whack my helmet with her face shield), then sits.. I tell her to "settle in" and when she has adjusted herself, and comfortable, she give me the "ok, I'm ready".
(This is where the "first step' I mentioned comes into play, because waiting for a glove to get put on, and dropped on the ground... or a pocket to be zipped, and a wallet or phone dropped on the ground, truly sucks... and the "WAIT" I'm not ready".. thing is only topped by the "I think I need to go the the bathroom...meme")
Then, and only then, do I release the bars, and start the bike. Once I'm comfortable with the bike running, I tell her "ok, we're off", and upright the bike (waiting for that last squirm she always does, and kick it into gear, and proceed. The "first stop", at the end of the driveway, I pay strong attention to her weight transfer, and make sure to have both feet down, and allow her to accomodate by being comfy, then we are off...

At any stop and dismount, fuel, etc., I reverse the routine, she doesn't move till I say she can... bike off, sidestand down, and again feet firmly planted, then I tell her to "get off my bike...", and Move away 5 feet so I can get off...., then I dismount.

ZERO incidences using this method, I've watched people put the bike and wife, in significant peril, buy letting them mount the bike first, on the side stand, as "you ain't gonna stop a loaded bike from falling... ain't gonna happen..."
Also letting them sit on a running bike, without you, is asking for headaches. :-X

hope this helps, nothing more embarrassing than a drop in a gas station or parking lot, with the wife pinned under a running motorcycle.. :truce: :truce:

Wife isn't able to get on the bike with me already seated.
So, we use the same procedure as Diz.
Works fine for us.

Ride safe, Ted

Same as Diz and Ted, but with only a 28 inch inseam and arthritis in both knees when I get on put right foot on seat hop on left foot closer to bike while sliding right leg on over let her get settled then lean right and take off side stand

I have had problems with some passengers loading after I'm seated. Some passengers have a tendency to "rock" the bike as they use a foot peg to swing a leg over. Gets especially hairy when the ground isn't even and I have uneven weighting for balance with my feet.

I agree with MOB as it was something I forgot to write. The whole process begins with communication. Every time.

My better half likes to use a trampoline. After 2 or 3 bounces she can somersault and land right in between me and the trunk,..... NOT :D

We do it with me on bike, both feet on the ground, motor in neutral or off, hand on brake.
She taps me and waits for a nod, then with her left hand on my left shoulder and her left foot on the left peg, she swings her right leg over the trunk and squeezes into the gap.
No, neither of us are skinny-minnies <LOL>
I won't move off until I get 2 pats on my left thigh.

1 pat means "look at that"
2 means "ready"
3 means "I need to pee/drink/stretch my legs"
4 or more means "I need to pee NOW!!!!"
A smack across the back of my lid means "Behave, or else"
Who needs intercoms? :D

I get on the motorcycle, bike vertical, straighten the handlebars, side stand up, confirm bike in first gear, both feet on the ground,  squeeze and hold the front brake.
Tell passenger "Ok", I lean forward a little bit
Passenger from left side of bike, left foot on left passenger peg, both hands on my shoulders, they step up, push up on my shoulders, swing leg over(through if trunk is on), passenger sits down.
Go through start up procedure, go riding.

We did try leaving the bike on the side stand a couple times, but was awkward for the passenger as the bike leans into their leg when mounting, plus 'slight' slope of the left footpeg while leaned over was not confident inspiring.

We use the driver on first with the bike on the side stand method. I turn the bars to full lock left with the front brake applied. This gives me something to brace against. One of our other bikes had a tall backrest so my wife got used to standing up on the left foot peg and stepping over the seat in the gap between me and the back rest. She puts weight on both pegs and settles straight down to the seat. The only drop of the C10 was when it was only a few weeks old to us and I was letting her get on with the bike upright side stand up. The bike tipped past the balance point to the left. Not sure how it happened, we had been on and off the bike that way many times that weekend. That was before I increased the rear air shock to the correct pressure and I was having a hard time retracting the side stand with both of us on the bike.

Victor Salisbury said:
I get on the motorcycle, bike vertical, straighten the handlebars, side stand up, confirm bike in first gear, both feet on the ground,  squeeze and hold the front brake.
Passenger from left side of bike, left foot on left passenger peg, both hands on my shoulders, they step up, push up on my shoulders, swing leg over(through if trunk is on), passenger sits down.

We did try leaving the bike on the side stand a couple times, but was awkward for the passenger as the bike leans into their leg when mounting, plus 'slight' slope of the left footpeg while leaned over was not confident inspiring.

Word for word with Vic.  No one has mentioned loading up from the center stand.  I haven't tried it and don't even know if it's safe, but I'm fearful of that one time that someone catches a foot on the saddle, loses balance, falls off in an awkward way, some limb still 'connected' to the bike, you know the rest.  Then 3 of us are in a crumpled mess and Connie won't be happy.

The bike would obviously need to be on flat terra firma. An incline either way would be a challenge for different reasons.

Tried that ONCE.  It was very hard to rock off the stand with her on the back, and almost dropped the bike and passenger.  I won't try that again.

Shawn said:
Victor Salisbury said:

Word for word with Vic.  No one has mentioned loading up from the center stand.  I haven't tried it and don't even know if it's safe, but I'm fearful of that one time that someone catches a foot on the saddle, loses balance, falls off in an awkward way, some limb still 'connected' to the bike, you know the rest.  Then 3 of us are in a crumpled mess and Connie won't be happy.

The bike would obviously need to be on flat terra firma. An incline either way would be a challenge for different reasons.

MizzouMike said:
Tried that ONCE.  It was very hard to rock off the stand with her on the back, and almost dropped the bike and passenger.  I won't try that again.

Shawn said:
Victor Salisbury said:

Thanks Mike...will stop considering that as an option. :great:

Boomer said:
My better half likes to use a trampoline. After 2 or 3 bounces she can somersault and land right in between me and the trunk,..... NOT :D

We do it with me on bike, both feet on the ground, motor in neutral or off, hand on brake.
She taps me and waits for a nod, then with her left hand on my left shoulder and her left foot on the left peg, she swings her right leg over the trunk and squeezes into the gap.
No, neither of us are skinny-minnies <LOL>
I won't move off until I get 2 pats on my left thigh.

1 pat means "look at that"
2 means "ready"
3 means "I need to pee/drink/stretch my legs"
4 or more means "I need to pee NOW!!!!"
A smack across the back of my lid means "Behave, or else"
Who needs intercoms? :D
Helmet bonk means I need to wake up

the helmet bonk for me usually mean my wife i asleep, and I just spiked the brakes a bit too hard.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I told her "never" hit my helmet to get my attention, I will crash, and we will die....

so, the "behave/ your going too fast/ I can see the speedo and it's over 100..." signal i usually get is repeated Kidney punches.... until I "behave"  :motonoises: :motonoises:
:nananana: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

MAN OF BLUES said:
the helmet bonk for me usually mean my wife i asleep, and I just spiked the brakes a bit too hard.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I told her "never" hit my helmet to get my attention, I will crash, and we will die....

so, the "behave/ your going too fast/ I can see the speedo and it's over 100..." signal i usually get is repeated Kidney punches.... until I "behave"  :motonoises: :motonoises:
Yep SWMBO would doze off on the GL and Id know its time to stop and get off the bike for a few

MOB's method sounds like a video I saw of recruits at Parris Island.
"Stand Up!"
"Sit Down!"
"Stand Up!"
"Get Off My Bus!"

My wife delivered fast food on a scooter when she was young.
She doesn't want to ride as a passenger.
Step 1 was buy a Toyota.
Step 2 is husband photographs bikes from the passenger seat  :-\    :??:

Getting the bike off the center stand 2 up is a challenge. Takes coordination of both to do the same thing. Still follow same procedure, passenger first then me onto the bike. This is when you find out how good you are at nonverbal communication. Only method that has worked for me is for passenger to put her arms under mine, grab my the front of my shoulders, press her chest into my back and move with me. So important that the driver and passenger move together. Failure happens if the passenger adds any movement; and I mean any movement forwards or back. I rock back, the bike is on the rear wheel, I move forward and the bike pops off the center stand. Trick is for the 2 bodies to move as one. Simplest movement and very hard to coordinate. Only on level ground and make sure the front brake is covered........

Load up on the center stand. Never!!! with short legs it is hard enough for me to get it off the center stand with just me.

who me? said:
MAN OF BLUES said:

Yep SWMBO would doze off on the GL and Id know its time to stop and get off the bike for a few

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
when I get the helmet bonk, after the second one, I know she is sound asleep... which is fine, a I know she can't fall off (rear trunk and backrest), so that's my "cue" to go WFO a long as I can, before she wakes up... once coming home to Va. from HHI, she "nodded out" for a full hour... when she woke up and asked me where we were, she freaked out, having covered almost 90 miles ... she made me stop. :rotflmao:

Tour1 said:
MOB's method sounds like a video I saw of recruits at Parris Island.
"Stand Up!"
"Sit Down!"
"Stand Up!"
"Get Off My Bus!"

My wife delivered fast food on a scooter when she was young.
She doesn't want to ride as a passenger.
Step 1 was buy a Toyota.
Step 2 is husband photographs bikes from the passenger seat  :-\    :??:

that's a hoot, and actually when we stop, and I tell her it's ok to get off...
it's a loud "get the xxxx of my xxxxxxx bike...", all done in jest, and she knows it, but it freaks people in Gas stations out bigtime...

Victor Salisbury said:

+1  I am standing up off the seat, legs slightly bent for suspension, front brake applied.

If it's a new passenger to me, I tell them to not be afraid of using my shoulders/waist for support/leverage to a point. A nice little talk before hand helps to ease some people's anxiety before getting on. Yes, full gear, all the time. No exceptions.