• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How to measure 0-60 and 1/4 mile times

Some are very good, others less so.
It is difficult to check these as some give you a countdown to launch and others only start timing when you launch.
They are all accurate to within a couple of tenths though so unless you are tuning a dragster I wouldn't worry about it.

The other open is....  Take it to the track.  Mine ran 12.5  @106 >:D :)) :-\.  That was my best, but wasn't dumping clutch on line either, so she didn't stand up.  Bags off.  Nothing else done to her.  Ran about 8 passes that day.  First time at track.  First run 14.7 @ 87.  Second, gained a lot of confidence.  13.2 @ 98.  Ran 12.5-12.7 rest of runs, walking it out of the hole.  Time slips will tell you ALL you want to know!!!  And safest place to find all of that out too!!!

the strip won't tell  you 0-60 which is a big "bench racing" bragging point

Racebox VBOX came out with a "consumer" version of the gps timing equipment the magazines use for about $400(Car and Driver, etc), they have to be mounted horizontally, and are a little bulky, so not sure if they would work with a motorcycle

if you're near the Dallas Area, maybe we could chase up a handful of riders and all chip in for one, I've been dying to find out what my 300c will do since having it tuned.

went 11.04 @125 with my C-14, at Numidia Dragway (Pennsylvania) on a Friday night last year, failed to get out this year, I want to remove the flies, air filter upgrade and can, and see what that results in. Having been a drag racer for way too many years, unless you have a slick and wheelie bars, the most consistent and quickest is to slip the clutch.  :)

Well, since we're publishing time.....

in case you didn't see it on the other post :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Seriously, go to the track, It's cheap, It's easy and it's a friggin blast!!!!! If I wasn't worried about wearing out my clutch I would still go. In fact I'm kind of thinking a second bike just for the track.

But go to the track at least once. I promise you, you'll be glad you did! :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

The drag strip will give you reaction time, 60 ft time, 1/8th mile and, obviously, 1/4mile. You might even get a few more numbers than that. 0-60mph isn't measurable - it's all distance based.

Take your  smartphone/app to the track for 0-60mph time. Back to back runs on the same surface and without cops or SUVs everywhere you will net you some consistent info after a few runs. Have fun with it!! Check out how many different launching styles there are. Match your weight - bike weight - and power to the style that seems most appropriate.

Some of you are posting great numbers for such a heavy bike running what I assume are street tires and factory shift controls. I've asked before but never heard much about anyone's specific launch techniques or if anyone is running a sticky rear and using the burnout box.

What a bike!!

Hope to hear some 0-60 posts!

My bad :( assumed since we were talking 1/4 mile you were talking Feet , not mph. Its all about e.t. with drag racing. Without bars and and rear tire pressure at about 30psi your 0 - 60 mph or 0 -60feet will never be what is possible. You will trash a clutch trying. I will read more carefully from now on.

I recently came across an android app called DRAG TIMER that uses GPS satellites to measure run times for 1/4 mile, 0-60 mph, 0-60 km/hr, and 0-100 km/hr.  Neat thing about this free app is that when you hit the Start button it only starts the timer when you launch so you can put your smartphone in your pocket then forget about it and check your time after completing the run. It vibrates when you reach the set distance or speed. I tried the 0-60 km/hr timer a few times in my civic and it seems quite accurate. 

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 156
I went a 10.60 at 133 I think when I took my bike to the strip. I actually ran 7 passes in a row between 10.60, and 10.68. Mike.

stevedap said:
I recently came across an android app called DRAG TIMER that uses GPS satellites to measure run times for 1/4 mile, 0-60 mph, 0-60 km/hr, and 0-100 km/hr.  Neat thing about this free app is that when you hit the Start button it only starts the timer when you launch so you can put your smartphone in your pocket then forget about it and check your time after completing the run. It vibrates when you reach the set distance or speed. I tried the 0-60 km/hr timer a few times in my civic and it seems quite accurate.

This app works well . Tried it here in DFW and got a 20 minute 0 to 60 on I 35 at rush hour... :rotflmao:

cra-z1000 said:
This app works well . Tried it here in DFW and got a 20 minute 0 to 60 on I 35 at rush hour... :rotflmao:

You got to 60?  I35 down here in Austin hardly ever gets that fast.

smithr1 said:
cra-z1000 said:

You got to 60?  I35 down here in Austin hardly ever gets that fast.

He may have been talking about his 60-foot time, LOL!

Fais, my bike was without bags, but with antlers on C 10 with everything stock, including carbs and windscreen.  Tires were Dunlops.  After I get my suspension tightened up with new bearings and seals, I will take it back out.  I am also going to remove my rifle screen, but not the base.  That and my SiSF carb job, to see what she can do and what difference I get in my 1/4 and marking times.  Still have old slips before carb job to compare to.  I am with whomever stated, if you haven't done it, you ought to try it.  What a blast!!!  As far as my launch, yeah I milked the clutch a bit, afraid of standing it straight up with the extra stickiness of the track.  I will dump it faster now that I have a few passes under my belt.  No, I did not use burnout box, as wouldn't make much of a difference in my launch times, etc on street tires.