• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I am a fallen sister

SidecarKen

It was a clear day, it was the best of times...it was the worst of times. 
Brought my new Connie home from the dealership.  I had taken it out for a test ride before purchasing the 2005 C10, it went well. 
The ride home was uneventful, until riding up to my carport.  Popped up a little hill and then headed into the carport from the side.
It happened so fast! everything was fine until I hit that little edge of cement, then the corner post for the carport reached out and grabbed my handlebar, and the next thing I know I am doing a donut around the darn thing.  HAND STILL ON THE THROTTLE.  And I am a hoppin' to keep up.

This happened June 19, 2008.  The tire mark stayed a reminder for 3 summers.  As the bike and I went around the post, the (afttermarket) forward highway peg caught the cement, bent back and the broke the left side lower fairing. 

Finally realized hand on throttle was not a good idea and got stopped in the grass outside the carport, still hooked on post.  Hubby had gotten off his bike but for some reason he had stayed back, perhaps the momentum of the bike was keeping him away?  :??:
He got the bike up and only damage was a bit of scraped paint the hwy bars mentioned above and my pride. 

:truce:      :truce:      :truce:      :truce:      :-[      :-[        :mad:      :'(        :'(        Then on 20 Jun 2008........

I got up, ready to jump on the horse again      :).

Hubby in front, on my Yamaha, just in case.  he motioned turn here.  I say no.  he says yes, follow me.  I think I was supposed to keep the bike verticle, but it wanted to go horizontal.  The gravel was deep.  This damn bike!  %^%##$%%^!  On the ground in 4 inch deep gravel.  luckily, same side. more scuffing on the left side and a new scratch in the front fender.  HE had a hard time getting it out of that gravel.  Hanging my head in shame, I rode the Yamaha home.
Now I have a side car next to me when I ride the Connie.  Can I have 2 stickers?

Kendra,
Good stories.  You can always claim the provisional "without pictures, it never happened!"  Thanks for sharing.  I pulled my C-14 into the garage for the first time and kissed the left saddle bag on the garage door rail, ever so slightly. Is this thing really that wide?  It never happened again.  Riders need to be aware of the those maiden voyages it seems.  :-[