• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I am becoming an airhead

MizzouMike

Rain Magnet
So I just added this 1971 R60/5 to the inventory:

20190713_172009

My in-laws neighbor has a garage full of old BMWs, and for the last 10 years I have been saying that if he ever wanted to sell one, to give me a call.  Well persistence paid off, my phone rang and he has finally decided to let one of his bikes go.  The best part is, when I approached the budget and entertainment committee, it was approved (much to my surprise).  So I trailered it home, and have started the process of getting it going again.  The gas in the tank was 14 years old, and the tank was a wreck.  I have since cleaned it and relined it.  I pulled the carbs last weekend, and they are surprisingly clean.  So after  a good cleaning and rebuild kits I hope to have them back on this weekend.  Then I think I will try and start it.  I am not looking for a restoration, just get it running well so that I can ride it around town.

The previous owner and my father in law are really good friends, so I keep him informed.  I think he is glad this has gone to someone who is taking the time to get it running again.

Nice! Had a R60 years ago and it was a great machine. Older airheads are a true demonstration of engineering, just hard to absorb it thru a funnel. I would say you have a family 'tech rep' on call if need be.

www.airheads.org/

Go here for your mechanical needs. They have a forum too and put out a decent monthly paper mag that's got good info in it.
Mine is a 1980 R65 that was my brothers. Nice bike, very simple, over engineered, grease fittings everywhere and built like a StuG III!
Quirky, missed shifts, lots of false neutrals, not much power but great sound. Good luck, I found I was riding almost as much as the C-10.

ps; like that BIG tank and those pull back ram horn handle bars, reminds me of my buddy's Schwinn from 1973. ;D

Thanks!

That looks like a whole new group of friends now that are obsessed about their particular type of motorcycle.  They have tech days where they help new guys work on their bikes, and have camping events and a forum.  I think that is something I can get into! :) ;)

Strawboss said:
www.airheads.org/

Go here for your mechanical needs. They have a forum too and put out a decent monthly paper mag that's got good info in it.
Mine is a 1980 R65 that was my brothers. Nice bike, very simple, over engineered, grease fittings everywhere and built like a StuG III!
Quirky, missed shifts, lots of false neutrals, not much power but great sound. Good luck, I found I was riding almost as much as the C-10.

ps; like that BIG tank and those pull back ram horn handle bars, reminds me of my buddy's Schwinn from 1973. ;D

Sweet!  Looks to be in really nice condition too.  At the BMWNEF
Coolest Rally in January, the Airheads always have their own
'section', with big comfy sofas and TV.  How bad can they be?

Ride Safe!  Enjoy your new Beemer!

You lucked out my friend! That's a nice Airhead. Just get it running and ride the Sh--t out of it. They will go forever with just some routine maintenance. If you need any hep, holler! I have several Bimmers and can help you out.
PS - if you decide to sell, let me know ;)

You lucked out my friend! That's a nice Airhead. Just get it running and ride the Sh--t out of it. They will go forever with just some routine maintenance. If you need any hep, holler! I have several Bimmers and can help you out.
PS - if you decide to sell, let me know ;)

Thanks. So far, I had the fuel tank cleaned and relined. I cleaned up the carbs and she fired right up. I have some oil leak from the pushrod seals, but not enough for me to be too concerned. I put about 1000 miles on her last year. It is a lot of fun to ride an old simple M/C. She doesn't much like to go more than 60MPH, but on this old naked bike, it feels like you are flying. There is a very strong airhead community in KC, so lots of help. Who knows, maybe I trailer* her down to a spider ride one of these days ;)

*I know she would easily go that far, but not sure if I can, that seat is not comfy at all!

Nice!! I had less than fairy tale times with my Oilhead RT, but I would rock an older airhead any day.

Nice Bike
I've got a 1978 R80/7 with a luftmeister fairing. Love that thing- I do a tour on it at least once a year. BMW really had the rake and trail figured out on those bikes, they corner like crazy. Take a close look at the rear shocks, if there real old a pair of new Ikons and a front fork fluid change [ REAL easy on BMW's ] will transform the ride.
Airhead riders favor the Michelin Pilot Activ or the Avon Roadriders for tires.
Enjoy the simplicity and the ride!
Nick
2014 C-14 1990 BMW K75 RT 1978 R80/7

Last edited:
Picked up a 78 R60/7 (Luftmeister fairing and hard saddlesbags) several years ago. Sold it to daughters boyfriend.
He was crude and abused the bike while wrenching on it.
He gave up as he would not ask me how to do the work an gave it back to me.
It was stored in PO dry garage after moving from ID to WA state since '85 with the full drained.
Maybe this year it will be given some attention by me.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG