• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I did it! Installed Murph's cruise control

tnrider

Moped
I had to replace a frayed throttle cable so I thought I'd just go ahead and install Murph's cruise control as well this weekend.  This was all part of preparing for my 10 day camping trip next month.  I waited until today to try it out.  Wow! So nice to have.  I had forgotten how nice it was to have cruise control on a motorcycle.  This unit works great.  I did the screen door roller thing as well for clearance of the thermostat and reduce dragging on the cable/chain. It held my speed to within 1 to 2 miles per hour even when going up and down our steep Tennessee hills. Thanks Murph and all who did this before me!  :beerchug:

TnRider said:
I had forgotten how nice it was to have cruise control on a motorcycle.

It certainly is a 'luxury' that you soon consider a necessity.  For less fatigue when highway riding,
and occasionally shaking out the right hand, Cruise Control is awesome.

I never knew how much I needed it until I had it!

Enjoy!

Years ago I thought that the poster was exaggerating about CC being his fav upgrade.
THEN installed it on the '01 and it is now my fav and have had it on 3 C10's now.

What is the screen door roller trick. Do you have a picture? I noticed this weekend that mine is cutting into the thermostat housing. Wondering how you mounted on in there.

You'll find a write-up on it if you do a search of "cruise control".  I saw it in a post on someone having trouble with their cruise control.  Picked up a screen door roller from True Value Hardware.  Also bought a small screw, nut, and lock washer to fit the hole in the roller arm.  Drilled a hole in the cable holder and attached the roller.  :)

Attachments

• roller.jpg
    roller.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 186
  • under cable.jpg
    under cable.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 203
  • cut away of rubber part.jpg
    cut away of rubber part.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 186
  • roller part.jpg
    roller part.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 177
I had done many seraches on cruise control before i installed mine but missed that one.i will be buying one tomorrow. Thanks

A slightly larger image?

621992FF-4506-49D5-94F9-FFD0DA3251AE_zpskrqeemtt.jpg

Whenever I have the tank off I schpritz some lithium grease on there to keep things "rolling".

Well I'll be a SUMBEACH! What an idea! Where was this when I was installing mine?

And here I thought I done good by adding a plate that I bent to a curve, ground out the edge to mate to the frame, and have the chain/cable riding on it.

THIS is a mucho better approach, dangit!

I gotta give credit to SteveJ.  He gave me the idea, ironically enough, at tech session
at SISF's.

Others have used a bent tube to guide the cable/chain.  SteveJ.'s was the easiest
to fabricate, with just a trip to Home Depot.  :great:

I picked one up this weekend and installed it while adjusting my valves. just a great idea. then I got sidetracked and power coated my valve cover because it was missing some paint and bothering me.    Squirrel . I might miss summer if I don't keep from getting sidetracked and get it put together.

Samonty said:
Does this system disengage by input from the brake light as well?

Yes, It will disengage from the front or rear brake applied, or the clutch lever.  It can also be killed at the
control pad.

Has anyone attempted to install the vacuum servo in the fairing or is it too heavy / not enough room?

Must have missed seeing that tweak 1st time 'round.

I've been using a ~3" section of garden hose to give the cable a smooth enclosure to run through but that roller is a very nice solution.