• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I did it to myself and it is so sad!

ursharkfuel

God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
Last night I decided to put the handlebar risers on I bought a couple weeks back. I got the ones that raise the bars a couple inches while moving them an inch closer to the tank/rider. Anyway I was one bolt away from putting the handlebars on the new mounts...I just needed to put the last bolt in and tighten up all 6, then put up the handlebars. Just drop that bolt in the hole and........it went tink, tink, thud as it fell down into the spaces between the frame, triple trees, radiator, fans, frame, fairing and whatever else....

Now poor Connie is spread out all over the garage floor with all the cosmetics off of her, the side covers, windshield, and so on - but no bolt yet!!! I'm running out of places to look and now I am wondering if it could be on the motor or inside the fairing near the headlights (but I don't know how). The tank is still on the bike and I have not started to disassemble above and below the headlights. (I did take off the covers left and right of the gauges)

I can now see about 90% of the potential area it could have landed, and I am wondering if I will need to separate the inner (black) and (painted) outer coverings that surround the radiator in case it fell in the space inside them. They are partially separated now, but not at the bottom.

Any ideas? 

Thanks, it breaks my heart to see her in this condition - I'm a bit sentimental  :??:

Take your time, be thorough and look at this as an opportunity to get to know your new to you machine.

Also I suggest you order and change your air filter while you are in this deep. 
Wayne

Just Cliff said:
A good strong extendable magnet to stick in the crevices is your friend.  :)

+1  Also an extendable mirror to find said bolt. Hope you find it soon!

I believe I have a collection of bolts, nuts, washers, rubber pieces and more in my fairings. They just fall in and disappear.  :(

Lol 5 out if 6 isn't bad.  Just tighten those up and go for a ride on a bumpy road... itll pop out...

...and like the others have already said....welcome to the club, weve all done it..

Phil said:
It's under the bench about three feet away from the bike.  :)

While I love the humor, I know it wasn't because I know the sound of a quality bolt hitting the garage floor. It rings almost like a tuning fork and that landed with a dull thud. Almost like steel hitting aluminum. You'll know why I say that when you read my latest post after this reply - Hint, hint. :)

gsun said:
I believe I have a collection of bolts, nuts, washers, rubber pieces and more in my fairings. They just fall in and disappear.  :(

Around the steering, radiator, and the top of the motor I just couldn't leave a 3" bolt. Smaller or plastic and it would be...see you down the road! >:D

UPDATE - I spent another couple hours with it tonight. I finished up removing the J&M radio since I had the bike apart including the antenna on the back of the bike. And then stopped looking on the right side where I dropped it, and started looking on the left in the "maybe it fell here" places. AND THERE IT WAS!!!  :-\

It bounced twice then landed and only fell less than a foot? Really?!? :mad:

I found in under the left intake hose on top of the radiator.  :)  The damn thing could not have landed more perfectly to not be seen from either side. The intake completely obscured it and it was along the seam on top of the radiator. If it was a little more dull I would still be looking for it because the glint of the shining metal gave it up. I knew it was inside the bike when I dropped it because the thud told me it landed on something nonferrous like aluminum, cast, or plastic....but definitely not the cement floor. I know that sound all too well, it is the sound of relief when you're on top of a modern motor with no room to even see or reach a spark plug, much less a part or custom hardware that you just dropped. in that case it is a beautiful ping!

Thanks to everyone that offered help, a laugh, suggestions or a welcome. You're the best! :beerchug:

Enjoy the ride,
Jon

Glad you found it! Now, you may as well do a valve adjustment while you have it all apart.  :))

I lost the bolt for one of the coil packs on my wife's Fiat while changing her plugs recently. It fell all the way down, and of course was captured by the plastic cover on the bottom of the engine. Not a big deal, with the exception that you can't get the cover off without raising the vehicle, and it was in the garage without enough room to jack it up, and i couldn't start it to get it onto ramps without installing the coil pack.

I have various magnets on extensions, but none would get to it. I finally had the bright idea to use an old speaker I had, the magnet anyway. I put the magnet against the plastic cover, and moved it around until I heard something moving on top of the cover, then moved it forward. It moved the bolt to where I could see it and pick it up with a magnet on an extension. Glad I kept that old speaker.

+1 to phils valve adjustment suggestion.  You've git all yhe necessary bits off....dont forget to change/clean ur air filter as well....

Glad u found it....

That demon must be related to the one that steals socks from the washer/dryer. :mad: :mad:

Phil said:
Glad you found it! Now, you may as well do a valve adjustment while you have it all apart.  :))

I lost the bolt for one of the coil packs on my wife's Fiat while changing her plugs recently. It fell all the way down, and of course was captured by the plastic cover on the bottom of the engine. Not a big deal, with the exception that you can't get the cover off without raising the vehicle, and it was in the garage without enough room to jack it up, and i couldn't start it to get it onto ramps without installing the coil pack.

I have various magnets on extensions, but none would get to it. I finally had the bright idea to use an old speaker I had, the magnet anyway. I put the magnet against the plastic cover, and moved it around until I heard something moving on top of the cover, then moved it forward. It moved the bolt to where I could see it and pick it up with a magnet on an extension. Glad I kept that old speaker.

I used a leaf blower!!!

You didn't see my passive fob while you were in there did you? ;)
I dropped mine 3 years ago and haven't seen it since, despite the same kind of search that you described.

Old Steve said:
You didn't see my passive fob while you were in there did you? ;)
I dropped mine 3 years ago and haven't seen it since, despite the same kind of search that you described.

Ouch, tough loss. My Connie came with one fob and that is none too comfortable. I need to do what it takes to get another.....  :??:

Enjoy the ride,
Jon

A few months back I dropped my keys from my ‘01 c10 while traveling at highway speeds. I had reached up to touch the bell on the key chain, and the keys grabbed my glove and slid out of the ignition. Down they went straight between the tank and the fairing. I stopped and searched for 45 minutes all along the road to no avail. Was glad I had a second key back at the house.
Then, last week I was doing some work on the ‘95 and wanted to see how to route something under the tank. I pulled my blue tank off the ‘01, and there they were, sitting nestled between the radiator and the engine, cozy and comfortable. I was amazed, as I’ve ridding over a thousand miles since they tried to jump ship!

I feel ya. I rode around for days and miles thinking my fob fell out of my pocket. Even ordered a new one $$$. To embarrassing to share what had really happen to it but it sold with the bike.