• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I found the cause of my coolant loss

cornponious

Looks like it wasn’t the radiator after all (as some had thought). It was this small hose. So, I’ll be replacing it along with all the others.

And whilst I’m here, a couple of more questions.

1. What is the best way to clean the mating surfaces where the thermostat housing o-ring goes? I don’t want to damage the surfaces, and they are quite cruddy.

2. There seems to be a small amount of rust inside the coolant pipe that attaches behind the carbs (around the opening that connects to the thermostat housing). Is this something I should be concerned about?

Attachments

• 13CD2929-F68C-4FEC-8F08-B5652C1EF726.jpeg
    13CD2929-F68C-4FEC-8F08-B5652C1EF726.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 75
I can see why that hose may have seeping a bit. LOL I hate when that happens.

1. I use Purple Power and a coarse Scotch Brite pad. Takes a little work, but comes out perfect if the metal isn't too badly pitted. I'd bet steel wool would work as well.

2. Is that rust external on the pipe or internal? Either way, if the metal isn't just gone away, a little scraping and sandpaper/Scotch Brite clean-up might be all you need. If external, give it a little splash of paint to help keep it protected.

Hope this helps. Glad you found your leak and hope you weren't too far from home when it went to SPLOOSH city on ya. The O-rings on those pipes are kinda tough to replace, but while you're in there, I'm sure they're a few years past due too.

I can see why that hose may have seeping a bit. LOL I hate when that happens.

1. I use Purple Power and a coarse Scotch Brite pad. Takes a little work, but comes out perfect if the metal isn't too badly pitted. I'd bet steel wool would work as well.

2. Is that rust external on the pipe or internal? Either way, if the metal isn't just gone away, a little scraping and sandpaper/Scotch Brite clean-up might be all you need. If external, give it a little splash of paint to help keep it protected.

Hope this helps. Glad you found your leak and hope you weren't too far from home when it went to SPLOOSH city on ya. The O-rings on those pipes are kinda tough to replace, but while you're in there, I'm sure they're a few years past due too.
I will try your suggestions.